ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Live from Butts-Mehre.....Thursday Practice Report... UPDATED

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
So, here we go.
The media was able to view approximately 20 minutes - periods 2-4 today. Myself, Radi, Jed and Patrick were all there and have tons to bring you.
Here's what I saw

...The biggest note to mention in regards the offensive line is Devin Willock is indeed practicing as the No. 1 right guard ahead of Warren Ericson.
The rest of the first unit remains the same - LT Broderick Jones, LG Xaivier Truss, C Sedrick Van Pran, RG Willock and RT Warren McClendon. Right toward the end inside the IPF, I did see Amarius Mims get some reps as the first team right tackle. Should be noted, that McClendon was on the field taking part in another drill.
I did not get a good look at the second unit today.

...During warmup drills, the wide receivers ran out in this order - Kearis Jackson, Ladd McConkey, Jackson Meeks, Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, Adonai Mitchell, Braxton Hicks, Arian Smith (who was in a black non-contact jersey) and C.J Smith.

...Watched the tight ends and Arik Gilbert. Gilbert is listed at 245 on the spring roster, but can assure everyone that is not the case. My guess? Somewhere between 260 and 270. He's a big dude. And this was after some considerable weight loss which we talked about last week.

...Saw some special teams drills. Early enrollee Brett Thorson was the No. 1 punter and saw him get off a couple of good kicks. C.J. Smith and Ladd McConkey were the punt returners.

...Not a ton to be made with the quarterbacks while we were out there, but the order of reps were Stetson Bennett, Carson Beck and Brock Vandagriff.

...Saw Trezman Marshall (knee) dressed out and talking to a trainer.

Much more to come...

Jed May

... Ladd McConkey was out there practicing in a regular red jersey today. He was in a black jersey when we got practice viewing last week.

... Arik Gilbert is a very big dude in person.

... The running backs were running fade drills down the sideline with the receivers. In those drills, Gunner Stockton had a couple of overthrows.

... In a different drill, Sevaughn Clark had a nice one-handed catch out of the backfield.

... De'Nylon Morrissette had a nice leaping grab. The coaches seemed pleased with the way he attacked the ball in the air.

... Trezman Marshall had a knee brace on his left knee and was riding a stationary bike toward the end of the viewing period.

... Malaki Starks (also in a black non-contact jersey) and Oscar Delp took reps on punt coverage. Kirby also got on Delp for "loafing" when the team re-arranged for the next drill.

... Kirby was also telling AD Mitchell he needed to hit 19 miles an hour on the GPS on punt coverage.

... The first-team punt protection group was Zion Logue and Warren Ericson. The first-team punt returner appeared to be Kearis Jackson, with CJ Smith going after him.

From Patrick Garbin

... I solely observed the defense for this practice, particularly a tackling drill run by Will Muschamp, so I could view rotations (for what they’re worth).

... At inside linebacker, the top six were 1) Nolan Smith; 2) Robert Beal; 3) Jamon Dumas-Johnson (who really impressed Muschamp with one particular rep); 4) Jalon Walker; and 5) Marlin Dean. Redshirt freshman Xavian Sorey was also part of the group. After a bad rep, he was told to watch Smith’s next rep.

... Prather Hudson was at practice. Apparently, he's going to be a graduate assistant.

... Between periods, Kirby Smart hollered at no one particular, “If you don’t want to work, get off my football field!”

... The next group was seemingly a mixed group of linebackers and defensive backs: 1) William Poole; 2) Javon Bullard; 3) Chaz Chambliss; 4) Kamari Lassiter; and 5) MJ Sherman. Sherman looked impressive. He seems to have bulked up a bit since last season.

... Unsure who Smart directed his comment at, but the head coach said that he wanted “dudes who liked to ball,” whereas “dudes who eat too much usually don’t make it.” (I think I heard that right.)

... The defensive line rotation was as follows: 1) Jalen Carter; 2) Zion Logue; 3) Tramel Walthour (who was in a black jersey); 4) Bill Norton; 5) Tymon Mitchell; 6) Nazir Stackhouse; 7) Mykell Williams; 8) Warren Brinson; 9) Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins; and 10) Shone Washington.

... The final period we observed was a punting drill, whereby a machine alternated with No. 99 Brett Thorson doing the punting. The first time the punt team ran on, Smart hollered for them to get off and come back on (not hustling).

Here are the notes Radi grabbed:

Arik Gilbert looks unreal. He looks to be 275 pounds at least. He’s about as much of a wide receiver as I am a dancer. Sure we can both do it but it won’t look right. He actually weighs under 270 but just from appearances, man he looks to be much bigger than he was at LSU.

Kenny McIntosh looks ripped. He was bigger than I expected him to be. I know we are only three months removed from the title game so it's not like he could have bulked up a ton but seriously, I did a double-take.

Conversely, Kendall Milton looks to have slimmed down. I have the right numbers but it almost looked like theft had switched jerseys.

Daijun Edwards still looks small for an SEC tailback, but if you saw Sevaughn Clark walk out with the first team with any SEC school, you’d think he belonged there. Clark is a big kid.

The running backs were practicing wheel routes, maintaining a line just outside of the numbers so that they didn’t drift too far to the sideline. There’s a handy red line drawn on the field for their reference. “Hold the line!!” was shouted repeatedly.

Arian Smith made a nice over-the-shoulder catch on a ball from Stetson Bennett.

Inside the building, the defense was split up and going from station to station. Chidera Uzo-Diribe was working on ball stripping, Glenn Schumann’s station was pass recognition and interceptions, and Tray Scott’s station was open-field tackling.

The rotation in the linebacker drills were:
Nolan Smith and Jamon Dumas-Johnson
Marlin Dean and No. 30
Robert Beal and Trezman Marshall
Xavian Sorey and Jalon Walker

Tray Scott’s drill had the line of scrimmage on the 5-yard line. A runner would leave the goal line, running to his right side of the play, and a pair of linebackers at different depths would pursue. “I want your eyes on his left hip!” Scott would say. “Don’t let him cut back! Stay on his left hip. Don’t overrun!”
They would chase the runner outside. If they lost focus or position, the runner would cut back inside and Scott would give the defenders an earful.

Trezman Marshall was wearing a big, extensive knee brace.

Jalen Carter doesn’t look that big when surrounded by the other defensive linemen. Just sort of looks like one of the guys. But then he moves and yuo see why I keep getting texts saying he is the best player on the team, hands down.

In period four, Scott had his defensive linemen coming off the line, putting their hand on the offensive lineman’s sternum, and then “chasing that hand” as they drive the lineman backward or sideways. “Chase it and sink it in!”

They looked to be paired up like this

Jalen Carter and Warren Brinson
Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins and Malcolm Brown
Nazir Stackhouse and Jonathan Jefferson?

Weston Wallace, a walk-on offensive lineman, was working with the defensive linemen.

Rival100 defensive end Vic Burley was watching the D-line practice:

Rivals250 outside linebacker Caleb Herring was also at practice:

So too was CJ Adams of Pebblebrook

Kirby on punt coverage:
“Everybody watch AD [Mitchell]! Everybody watch AD! If AD hits 19 on the GPS (we won’t run after practice).”

One guy out there said that the first two weeks out there, Stetson Bennett looked like a “Heisman Trophy winner. He looked like a million bucks.”
Apparently, that ended Tuesday when they let some of the other guys get more reps with the ones.

When you See Devon Willock, No. 77, you think, Wow, that’s a mountain of a man. Especially if he’s next to a snapper like Jonathan Washburn. Then you see Broderick Jones and you say, that’s what an offensive lineman should look like. Then Amarius Mims walks by and you literally say “Holy hell.” At least I did into my recorder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News