ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of folks here decry evangelicals, how are you defining that

phoenixdawg

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
and what is the difference between the run of the mill christian and an evangelical?

Last edited:
I think there is some variation of how you define evangelicals. I think literally it just means spreading Christianity. I’m reality it is associated with the evangelical movement and it’s mainly a choice for Christians whether to identify with it. Those who do identify are mainly conservative Calvinist Protestants.

Got some it’s also political which affects the strong feelings about it. Those who identify as evangelical especially those who are white tend to be socially conservative and politically active. That’s the reason a lot of mainline Protestants would rather not have the label.

I think their political nature since the 1970s is a reason a lot of people dislike them (mulyself included). For those who’s beliefs are more personal I feel more inclined to respect them but once it’s in the public sphere it’s a political group I frankly really don’t like.

Reactions: nice marmot
and what is the difference between the run of the mill christian and an evangelical?
it's a fair question - someone has already posted the literal definition, and there is also probably a looser definition that involved inter-denominational / doctrinal messages.

Then there is a third:

I think when I refer to it, not speaking for others, I refer to it more in the socio-political sense: and I think that it has been galvanized and is also known as "movement Christianity" and that may be better, but is somehow more vague.

The characteristics involve:
1) biblical literalism
2) viewing the bible has the highest possible law, superseding "even in the world" both natural and national law.
3) conversion is the only salvation kind of talk.
4) crusading nationalism in the name of a "Christian nation"
5) apocalyptic eagerness.

There are of course sects of both Islam and Judaism that reflect these same socio-political behaviors.

okay, that's off the top of my head.

Last edited:
it's a fair question - someone has already posted the literal definition, and there is also probably a looser definition that involved inter-denominational / doctrinal messages.

Then there is a third:

I think when I refer to it, not speaking for others, I refer to it more in the socio-political sense: and I think that it has been galvanized and is also known as "movement Christianity" and that may be better, but is somehow more vague.

The characteristics involve:
1) biblical literalism
2) viewing the bible has the highest possible law, superseding "even in the world" both natural and national law.
3) conversion is the only salvation kind of talk.
4) crusading nationalism in the name of a "Christian nation"
5) apocalyptic eagerness.

There are of course sects of both Islam and Judaism that reflect these same socio-political behaviors.

okay, that's off the top of my head.
so the basic tenants of Christianity are considered evangelical, got it.

A couple of points to ponder

The Bible says to respect laws and tells Christians to subordinate themselves to those laws, what it doesn’t say is not to affect change if you don’t agree with the law.

Conversion is the only salvation if you are a Christian.

This country was founded on Christian tenants, why would Christians not crusade for what they believe.

The only apocalyptic eagerness I hear Christians discuss is the rapture. Are you referring to that event? If you are a believer wouldn’t you want to ascend into heaven. Not much different than blowing yourself up in the market to go to heaven if you ask me. I don’t see people decrying evangelical muslims to the degree of Christians.

The Bible says to respect laws and tells Christians to subordinate themselves to those laws, what it doesn’t say is not to affect change if you don’t agree with the law.

This country was founded on Christian tenants, why would Christians not crusade for what they believe.

The only apocalyptic eagerness I hear Christians discuss is the rapture. Are you referring to that event? If you are a believer wouldn’t you want to ascend into heaven. Not much different than blowing yourself up in the market to go to heaven if you ask me. I don’t see people decrying evangelical muslims to the degree of Christians.
countries that embrace christianity advance, those that dont end up getting destroyed, history proves this most of the time. Most of the west embraced christianity at one point, now the west is rejecting God at its own destruction.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
There seems to be a myth we were founded as a Christian nation. Most early Americans were Christian but politically we were intentionally neutral. Even among Christians there is disagreement about many things and the government is really supposed to stay out of those disputes and those groups shouldn’t use the government to impose on those who disagree.

Evangelical is one of many religious labels people can use. I actually find it more common to hear someone’s denomination or sometimes simply Protestant if evangelical would fit.

Some of the most prominent founders (Washington , Jefferson and Adams) were Deists (argued that human experience and rationality—rather than religious dogma and mystery—determine the validity of human beliefs.)

The separation of church and state is explicitly enumerated.

Regarding your last paragraph, I couldn't agree more. There are similarities between extreme Muslims and Christians. I don't however believe that Evangelical Christians are as persecuted as Muslim suicide bombers.

Some of the most prominent founders (Washington , Jefferson and Adams) were Deists (argued that human experience and rationality—rather than religious dogma and mystery—determine the validity of human beliefs.)

The separation of church and state is explicitly enumerated.

Regarding your last paragraph, I couldn't agree more. There are similarities between extreme Muslims and Christians. I don't however believe that Evangelical Christians are as persecuted as Muslim suicide bombers.
separation of church and state has to be the most misunderstood part of the constitution and american experience, this doesn’t mean government can’t be guided by religious principles

separation of church and state. : the separation of religion and government mandated under the establishment clause and the free exercise clause of the U.S. Constitution that forbids governmental establishment or preference of a religion and that preserves religious freedom from governmental intrusion.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT