ADVERTISEMENT

Memories From 9 Years, Ago... (Long)

WATTSUPDAWG

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2013
Take-Aways From The UGA-Missouri Football Game On Saturday:
First of all, let me preface my comments by saying, that I really enjoyed watching the game yesterday. It's been a long time since My Dawgs have played that well in all 3 phases of the game. It was fun to watch... Kudos go out to the coaches and to the team for a total effort & display of what should be expected from a UGA Football Team, most every Saturday. Obviously, in some games, there will be extenuating circumstances, that will stymie those efforts and performances. But, don't let your guard down, just yet.
As Lee Corso on the ESPN Game Day Show would say... "Not so fast, My Friend." If precedence holds true, we will lay an egg at Arkansas on Saturday. I've seen it happen way too many times in the past, so I'm not betting the ranch on a win, that will keep us in the hunt for an SECC, and a spot in the Top 4 for the NC Game Opportunity.
What I witnessed yesterday tells me, that a MR coached football team underachieves, if you were to position them on the Bell Curve for the 14-15 years, that MR has been the head coach. The performance against Missouri revealed the evidence, that the ability of this football team to perform at a very high level, has been there the whole time. But, on the average, it has been subdued... I've seen games where we have 'played-down' to the competition, come out uninspired and fall behind early - only to rally too late and lose a game, we should have won.
What sticks out to me is, why does it take a fiasco like the Todd Gurley Indefinite Suspension Scenario due to a violation of NCAA Rules, to get a MR coached team to play, as well as it did yesterday. That's where the underachievement raises its ugly head, imho. Does this team always have to have its back to the wall to give that kind of effort, across the board?
Multiple SEC Teams over the past few years have won SEC Championships, and either won - or played for - National Championships. What does it say, when you consistently have top 10 recruiting classes, and end up looking up to programs like Miss. St. & Ole Miss??? It reeks of underachieving under MR's Watch... We always seem to find a way to screw it up.
Don't get me wrong here, MR is a nice guy and has been the best coach, that we have had at UGA since Vince Dooley. He has had first round draft picks in the NFL to come thru his program at UGA. Most of them don't have a championship ring to show for it. What is lacking, again imho, is the X-Factor to get UGA to a NC. It is doubtful, that UGA will win another SECC, before MR retires. Gosh, I hope I'm wrong... I really do... My vote goes to Jeremy Pruitt, as MR's successor. I think that the guy has got what it takes to get the job done.
In the meantime, I hope that we don't lay that proverbial egg, against Arkansas on Sat. Go Dawgs, You're Overdue To Have A
Special Season.

Reactions: walesdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News