ADVERTISEMENT

ND- Ted Turner

Working on a project for the history channel... was wondering if any of you Could help me out with a great TED TURNER story... either personal or one you’ve heard or just admire or made u laugh....

duck hunting with Castro in the bay of pigs during the embargo is my fav at the moment...

thanks!!!
Went yo McCallie School in chattown
Got money from dad billboards
Married a commie
Batshit crazy
That is all

Lived a pretty amazing life took risk and usually won. We

When I went to McCallie in Chattanooga I dated a girl who had an older sister that dated his son,Teddy. He graduated the year before I enrolled. They told me that the only thing his father gave him while he was at McCallie was a sailboat. No car,extra money,no toys etc. Everyone in the class had more stuff,things etc. If you didn't know who he was you would think he was from an impoverished family. Looks like he turned out just fine
M
My son graduated from McCallie. Ted has this school prominently addressed in his will.

My friend just got a job at his ranch in New Mexico (Vermejo). He said he saw him with his family a couple of weeks ago there and Ted said hi to him. That’s all I have.

You have to include the story of him being fined by the NY Yacht Club when he won the America's Cup. He was shitfaced at the awards banquet and they fined him for being drunk. I can't remember the exact quote but he said he was drunk long before the awards banquet.

Last edited:
Married a commie
Batshit crazy
That is all
I can guarantee you that when he went to McCallie it was not a good time. If you went there when he did , you were coming out of there a hard ass. It was a military school at that time and no one got a pass. I'd bet he would tell you he would attribute a lot of his success from his time there. Pretty sure he has given more money then anyone else to grow McCallie through the years

You have to include the story of him being fined by the NY Yacht Club when he won the America's Cup. He was shitfaced at the awards banquet and they fined him for being drunk. I can't remember the exact quote but he said he was drunk long before the awards banquet.
This is what I’m looking for..thanks

I worked at CNN for Ted from 96-2001.
He was incredible to work for. He cared about every employee and their well being. At the time I ran the largest budgeted unit in CNN history called CNN NewsStand. I have a hilarious story about me, Ted and Rick Kaplan if you want to DM me.
Did u get my DM?

Married a commie
Batshit crazy
That is all
And you and @pheasantdawg are dicks, u got this thread moved to dawgchat because u have to make everything political.. now no one will see it.. way to help a fellow dawg fan out

And you and @pheasantdawg are dicks, u got this thread moved to dawgchat because u have to make everything political.. now no one will see it.. way to help a fellow dawg fan out

In fairness, it doesn't take much to get things moved to the Chat.

Also a lot of people here do go on the Chat, including many people who wouldn't admit it.

In fairness, it doesn't take much to get things moved to the Chat.

Also a lot of people here do go on the Chat, including many people who wouldn't admit it.
There’s a golf club thread at the top of the vent.. don’t give them excuses for inserting insults and politics into it, when they know politics gets kicked to dawgchat

Reactions: mr fury
This is what I’m looking for..thanks
Look into the 1979 Fastnet Race. Winds rose to hurricane strength 200 miles off the coast of Ireland. The deadliest sailing event ever and Turner won it. It was basically the "Perfect Storm" with a yacht race. He was a badass sailor.

1979 Fastnet

Last edited:
First you thank me then I'm a dick? If Commie is now political then we have a lot more problems. Oh well thank goodness for the ignore option, bye

Ted owns Nonami Plantation in Albany. Heard when he comes down the staff is notified which girlfriend is coming so they know which portrait to hang on the wall.

That tracks with the story I was told about his plantation activities as well.

There’s a golf club thread at the top of the vent.. don’t give them excuses for inserting insults and politics into it, when they know politics gets kicked to dawgchat
I hope you got to at least write a post credit scene for the one movie worth seeing on July 9th. :)

There is a lousy photo of him in the stairwell of "The Candy Store" bar at the Clarke Cook House in Newport.

The caption is:

"A blurry Ted Turner toasts to defeat in the downstairs porch bar of The Candy Store. "I'd like to race against Dennis Conner next time and beat his ass."

I don’t know any personal stories, but he helped create The Bill Tush Show, which was the funniest show on TV in the very early 80s. It aired on Channel 17 and launched the careers of Jan Hooks and Bonnie and Terry Turner (who created and wrote 3rd Rock From the Sun and That 70s Show), as well as the eponymous Mr. Tush. That alone would secure his legacy with me. You should watch a few episodes.

Ted and I had season tickets to the Flames back in the 70s. He sat directly behind my wife and me. We shot the shit all the time. I had hair down to my ass and my 1st wife was a serious looker with a body to match. Ted used to drool over her.
But that's not my Ted story.
Ted brought about 15 different women to the games over the course of the season. None of them were his wife.
So, one night me and Ted were standing up by the concession stand between periods eating popcorn and drinking a beer.
I said, "Ted, how the hell do you get away with being married and bringing all that hot ass to the hockey game?"
Ted said, "that's easy Hip (he used to call me Hippie), we got an arrangement. I get to do what I want and she gets to stay home and count money".

I thought that was impressive. Ted is literally crazy as a loon, but he is NOT stupid.

Last edited:
btw, all u guys trying to make this political, save it, I could care less about his or your politics, just interested in crazy stories about what a lunatic he was... I asked for your help not a lecture

OP made one polite request, geez
First, loving Your Constitution is not “political” I just figured I’d point that out since you appear too dense to understand.

Second if someone posts Non-Dawg posts on the vent, I figure we can post all the opinions we want. THIS CRAP SHOULD BE POSTED ON THE CHAT ANYWAY! Take this crap there if you don’t want to hear from everybody here.

you don’t own the board or this thread so read what you enjoy and ignore others. You don’t have the right to set the content or to hush other’s input.

A friend said he’d take the stairs every day to his office. My fiend said he’d run into him on the stairs huffing and puffing. The time I ran into him I didn’t feel he was the approachable kind. I do know he went to Chucks Guns in Buckhead one Christmas and damn near bought out their shotgun selection for Christmas presents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT