ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive run struggles.....

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
good observation by a certain writer on our struggles to run the football, I also noticed it last Saturday. He mentions offensive formations, which is what the defensive teams reads/keys off of and adjusts. He goes on to mention that most all of the time when we showed run (run formation), we ran the ball.

Missouri knew this and would load the box....he also mentioned on the rare occasion when we would disguise the run, it worked. For example, when we went 3 wide and into the shotgun on 2nd and-10, we handed it to Chubb and he gained 9 yards.

We probably have the best pair of running backs in the nation, or at least one of the best. We need to help them and the team out and show a little more imagination. In short, I agree for the most part, our inability to run the ball is more the play calling than our line struggles imo. I certainly hope we get this worked out.....cause, it will not get any easier.

Reactions: gulfportdawg
good observation by a certain writer on our struggles to run the football, I also noticed it last Saturday. He mentions offensive formations, which is what the defensive teams reads/keys off of and adjusts. He goes on to mention that most all of the time when we showed run (run formation), we ran the ball.

Missouri knew this and would load the box....he also mentioned on the rare occasion when we would disguise the run, it worked. For example, when we went 3 wide and into the shotgun on 2nd and-10, we handed it to Chubb and he gained 9 yards.

We probably have the best pair of running backs in the nation, or at least one of the best. We need to help them and the team out and show a little more imagination. In short, I agree for the most part, our inability to run the ball is more the play calling than our line struggles imo. I certainly hope we get this worked out.....cause, it will not get any easier.
It's been very aggravating to watch the running game the last 2 games. Chubb may not be 100%, but he had a nice game against UNC. So, we know he's close. The OL looks terrible. I do think there is truth to what the writer says.

It's been very aggravating to watch the running game the last 2 games. Chubb may not be 100%, but he had a nice game against UNC. So, we know he's close. The OL looks terrible. I do think there is truth to what the writer says.

Hopefully, this will change. Got to give it to the team, they fought to the end.

I realize the blocking is far from good. In fact...it's bad. Also, the issues you bring up above are legit. But, Chubb just hasn't looked right in these last two games. Something is weird with him...

I realize the blocking is far from good. In fact...it's bad. Also, the issues you bring up above are legit. But, Chubb just hasn't looked right in these last two games. Something is weird with him...
I read on a different message board that someone said he was limping after the UNC game. I have no idea, but I do think he's probably not 100%. Close, but not there yet. Maybe I'm wrong...

Chubb has just nowhere to run, not even a sliver of daylight. He looks fully recovered to me, could be wrong. I just don't feel that the OL is as bad as some make it out to be. It is tough to block 8 & 9 in the box, tough for any to do that. A combination of playcalling and adjusting to a new QB imo....and opponents not respecting the QB position, hopefully that is changing.

Reactions: REAdawg

At least as important was on those masked plays Chubb wasn't just sent down the teeth of the defensive LOS.
Most of the successful plays hit them where they weren't, to butcher a Nathan Bedford Forest line. That was also true with McKenzie.
The idea Kirby had of wearing down a defense with Chubb is caveman stuff. It won't work for long ( teams already countered it), using a kid to wear down a 7 man front beats the living hell out of the RB too, that RB has already went through enough for UGA.

Reactions: BaronDawg
But, Chubb just hasn't looked right in these last two games.
Agreed, watching the game last week he looked like he was running in slow motion. It made me wonder if that is why we were just running him up the middle instead of trying to get him on the outside in space.

A combination of playcalling and adjusting to a new QB imo....and opponents not respecting the QB position, hopefully that is changing.
To me, that is one of the positives of the Mizzou game. Our competition saw that we were willing to let him throw it 55 times and give him the ball to win the game for us in about as much pressure as you can get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT