ADVERTISEMENT

On Tennessee week, let's look back at the Vol takes upon learning Kirby was hired....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Take 1: lol, good

Take 2: Today was a good day.

Take 3: LOL at UGA

Take 4: Kirby is a defensive coordinator. Nothing more. Nothing less. Terrible hire imo

Take 5: He better hire a good offensive coordinator or he will be muschump 2.0

Take 6: Agreed. Muschamp 2.0, except possibly even more embarassing sideline meltdowns. Cant wait to see it.

Take 7: I feel like at worst he would be another Muschamp. At best, he's another Mark Richt. I just don't get the point of firing Mark Richt to hire a younger Mark Richt

Take 8: I need to see a guy have success as a head coach before I hire him to be my head coach. Especially if I'm a big time SEC program. The SEC is unkind and there is no time for a coach to grow into a role. Taking a real chance here. UGA's AD probably enjoys heading straight to the blackjack table after downing a couple whiskey shots

Take 9:
I keep seeing that Kirby would bring Muschamp on as DC.

The stars are really lining up!

Take 10: I don't understand how the Georgia AD thinks he is improving the program by firing Richt and hiring someone with zero HC experience.

Take 11:
I would put the odds of Kirby Smart improving Richt's last 4 years W/L record during the next 4 years at less than 10%.

And that's about as much time as he will get, especially if they are losing to UT and UF on a yearly basis.

"See if your coaching hire can win at UCF first" Vol:
I agree with most all of you. Seems like a big risk given he's never been a head coach and he'll be coaching at a big time SEC school.

I could see why a school like UCF would try and hire him, assuming he'd go there to begin with. Time will tell but this is a bad hire by Georgia IMO.

Take 13:

I doubt he will equal Richt's won - loss record of the last 4 years during the next 4 years. If he does he is going to be a very good coach.

Something Vols know all about: I think Georgia is getting a little dose of reality though. What was Georgia before Richt? In this case I think UGA broke up with her boyfriend because she thinks she's hotter than what she actually is.

Take 15: About what I expected. UGA, like UT, never puts out the big money for a home run hire. This may be Ray Goff 2.0

Take 16: Honestly, I think UGA's first option fell through. They got played by someone. No way your fire Saint Richt abruptly just to hire Kirby Smart. Doesn't seem right

Take 17: Very questionable hire by UGA. This will be to Tennessee's advantage

Take 18: I don't know about the rest of you, but I am absolutely ecstatic about this hire.

That's General Smart to you Vol: Mark Richt was the last one to do it in SEC. And before that Fulmer. But those were OC. The last DC to make the jump might be Robert Neyland.

Take 20: The issues at Georgia have not necessarily been d-related but have been related to quarterback play. How is Kirby Smart going to correct qb play? They have already gone the "big name" oc route and it hasn't been great not to mention Richt has had a pretty track record of developing decent qb's in his career. This has mistake written all over it.

Maybe the Vol with the worst take in history: it's a huge mistake IMO. Kirby doesn't have the CEO mentality. He is kinda bla when you hear him speak.

Visiting Gator take: Those wacky UGA fans, getting excited about a native son coming home to run the football program....

Take 22: He doesn't have the "it" factor

He was pretty close Vol:
Well its official, nobody will ever beat Georgia again. The football guru I work with (same guy who said tgey brought in Lambert to win the NC) said Kirby will have tgem undefeated by next year. I guess other teams should just forfeit.

*this guy actually believes this stuff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News