ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

AgrayDAWG

We can't have nice things
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2019
Dville
The part of all of this nobody is talking about is the culture disaster brewing in Columbus. I'm not talking about coaches, Kelly is a big time boom for cohesion on that staff. I'm talking about the folks who raise the funds clearly having control over decisions being made within the program. I'm not saying big time boosters aren't influential everywhere, I'm sure they are. But unless you have an Alpha stud that everone aligns with like a Kirby, Urban, or Saban, you end up being Texas or aTM.

Texas nor aTm are actual threats to become a dynasty or juggernaut because the billionaire boys club can't get out of their own way. The only team who's underperformed as much as Texas historically given their resources is aTm. OSU is brewing that same kind of culture up there. They are very talented for 2023. But the fact Ryan Day is on the hot seat at 56-8 and their clear desperation is a bigger issue for CFB than NIL ever will be. NIL is the conductor for the desperation, but it's also turned a program that has SMASHED their ceiling and will inevitably send them backwards(F em). 2002 was a bad PI call gift, 2014 was Kirby and Lane gift wrapping them a semi game being prideful. They simply can't get enough kids up there 1-85 to be an unquestioned juggernaut and they lack the patience to build a cyclical squad like Michigan just did.

So they'll lose 1-3 games in 2024 and they likely fire Day. Insert a Brian Kelly or Fickell, and they'll still forever be a consistent top 2-10 team but never number 1. If this offseason is a trend moving forward, they'lll do 10x the damage to the culture Tressel and Urban established than they'll do good. You can't buy a natty, players matter yes. But you have to have staff cohesion and stability. They have players, but they're all living in a glass house with no guarantee who will be their coach in a year. The second times get tough the whole program from the top down will get very tight and the boosters being so obviously desperate is going to add an unnecessary layer of pressure the kids at UGA, Texas, Oregon, Bama, etc. simply don't have.

None of the changes they've made and the influx of funds will make a damn bit of difference in terms of their ceiling. It just creates fuel for an all out dumpster fire at the first sign of adversity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News