ADVERTISEMENT

Our guards & Team Rank

504noladawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2017
Guards:
Let’s discuss our guards since we got a big get today in Tyrin Lawrence. I still had our Vandy game on DVR, so I watched it tonight to get reacquainted with Lawrence. Against us he had a decent game: 12 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assists, 3 turnovers. But I was excited because I got a feel for how he likes to play. Hard charging guard who wants to get into the lane. Has nice control of his body on drives. Strong and athletic coming to the lane. He is going to be tough for opponents to deal with on that drive. Doesn’t shoot a lot of threes and really struggled to hit them this year 27%. He is a wide open three point shooter. Decent vision. His defense was okay. Definitely atheltic enough but can get lackadaisical at times. Let Melendez just make one simple cut that whipped him on an in bound for an and 1 layup and Jabri also took him from the top of the key for a layup. But when he is locked in, he can play pressure D and definitely has the athleticism. He is a vet that we needed. His Vandy team two years ago was really good at the end of the year and he was one of the main guys. If he is locked in, he is a dude.

Silas: one of the best bully ball drivers as a point guard in the sec. Gotta work on vision and that outside shot.

Blue: I consider the best pure offensive player out of all the guards. Can shoot it, drive it, and knows how to move the ball. Has to get stronger and more experience.

DeShayne Montgomery: plays a lot like Lawrence. Not a lot of threes, wide open type three shooter, but is athletic and likes to bully his way to the lane. Athletic and it might be above average athelticism (there are a couple of plays on tape that make you double take). Lefty like Lawrence. Monty struggles with turnovers.

Dakota Leffew: his highlight tape and stats remind you of Noah. Hits at a good percentage. Has a step back. Seems to be able to score it at all three levels. Can it translate to the big time? Really struggled percentage wise against the four teams that he played that are our level.

Nice pickups all around. I’m still a little confused about the point guard situation @BigDawgsgoRoof mentioned that Lawrence had been wanting to play point. I’m just not sure I see that in his game, but maybe? If we are going to use one more scholarship as Dash suggested, I’m assuming it’s a point guard. Lawrence can definitely play the wing. It looked like he was the third guard in Vandy’s offense this year. I believe Montgomery can too.

Positives: we have some athleticism: Demary, Lawrence, Montgomery. We have some shooting: Blue and Leffew (oh baby we got rhyme!)

Negatives: all but Blue are used to having the ball in their hands a good bit to create. Ball could get stuck. Can they figure out how to play together?

Y’all are going to pass out when you see this and want to kill me, but here it is:
We are still ranked dead last in Barttorviks rankings:

We are 70th right there and Lawrence hasn’t been added yet, but if you use the roster cast feature, you can add Lawrence and we will be ranked 63rd, still in last. However, we are basically in a scrum with 6 other teams right now. Really close to them. So on paper, we are still on the 2nd half of the league. But if we gel and play well, we could do good things. We are in the mix now for sure.

I said we needed to recruit over all three of our freshmen this offseason. I think we did in two of the three spots with Lawrence (Blue) and Godfrey (James). Thats not to say the freshmen from last year can’t over take them, but we definitely put a dude in front of them, that on paper at least, is going to make them really work to make sure they are ahead of them.

1st time in my uga hoops life that I didn’t think spending of money was our problem. We spent the coin. Now we just have to see if we attracted the right player and chose wisely. Gonna be fun to watch it play out. Go Dawgs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News