ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Putting this out there: Pellet Grills. UPDATE

Have cooked on a BGE for 30 years but Traeger has a good deal at my local Costco. Two biggest reasons I'm wondering if Wifey could light / operate a Traeger (without beyotching) and less time spent monitoring the cook. The wifi / Bluetooth controller on the Traeger seems pretty good. Anybody like a different brand? Other solution? Have at it.
Love my Rec Tec 700! I’ve had it for 3 months and have made the best brisket, ribs, chops, butts that I have ever eaten. The wifi has been an awesome feature as I can get it preheated before I get home. It’s built like a tank with heavy duty parts. Love the quality but it is expensive.

Have cooked on a BGE for 30 years but Traeger has a good deal at my local Costco. Two biggest reasons I'm wondering if Wifey could light / operate a Traeger (without beyotching) and less time spent monitoring the cook. The wifi / Bluetooth controller on the Traeger seems pretty good. Anybody like a different brand? Other solution? Have at it.

I use a PitBoss. Bigger size at a better price point. Cooks exactly the same as a Traeger. Also has wifi option.

Up until a couple of years ago I did most of my cooking on a BGE. With a young child at home I decided to buy a pellet grill for ease of cooking -- quicker to get started, less attention required with a rugrat in tow.

The pellet is definitely easier/faster to get going, and easy to clean and shut down. Pros/cons:

1. If you have frequent constraints on your time or attention, the pellet is great and will require less time overall than a BGE. It's tough to "screw up." You can also change temperatures mid-cook with a pellet and get it set a new level easier than with a BGE.

2. If you are going for max smoky flavor, BGE is the way to go. Pellet adds flavor, but not on the level of the BGE. The good part is you don't have to worry about overdoing it with the smoky flavor as is possible with the BGE, just make sure you have matched the wood to the meat.

3. Biggest benefit of the BGE is the flexibility. You can go any type of temperature from low to screaming hot. If I cook a steak on the pellet, I usually finish it in a cast iron pan on the gas stove for searing/char. BGE you can cook a steak any way you like and keep it on the egg the entire time.

4. BGE is more fun.

If you enjoy grilling and aren't constrained by time/attention, the BGE is the better product.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I had too many close encounters with backdrafts/flashbacks with the BGE cooking steak that I largely refrain from it. I also don't really want the charcoal flavor on a steak, so I tend to use the Weber, which at 700° is sufficient to give it a good searing. What temperature do you cook your steaks on the BGE?

I have a treager ironwood 885 that I love and do a lot of my slow cooks on and then a rectec bullseye 380 I just recently got and it’s a weekday warrior. Great for fast hot cooks and riot mode gets temps way up there for searing etc. Both are quality units

Traeger is suppose to be the best. I bought a PitBoss sportsman 1100 and love my grill. It was the best purchase we made last year.

I really like mine! On a spring weekend I can put some meat on and start cutting grass and do all my acreage and I have never had any issues! Keeps temp great

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Up until a couple of years ago I did most of my cooking on a BGE. With a young child at home I decided to buy a pellet grill for ease of cooking -- quicker to get started, less attention required with a rugrat in tow.

The pellet is definitely easier/faster to get going, and easy to clean and shut down. Pros/cons:

1. If you have frequent constraints on your time or attention, the pellet is great and will require less time overall than a BGE. It's tough to "screw up." You can also change temperatures mid-cook with a pellet and get it set a new level easier than with a BGE.

2. If you are going for max smoky flavor, BGE is the way to go. Pellet adds flavor, but not on the level of the BGE. The good part is you don't have to worry about overdoing it with the smoky flavor as is possible with the BGE, just make sure you have matched the wood to the meat.

3. Biggest benefit of the BGE is the flexibility. You can go any type of temperature from low to screaming hot. If I cook a steak on the pellet, I usually finish it in a cast iron pan on the gas stove for searing/char. BGE you can cook a steak any way you like and keep it on the egg the entire time.

4. BGE is more fun.

If you enjoy grilling and aren't constrained by time/attention, the BGE is the better product.

Mismatching the wood to the meat never ends well for either party.

Own and frequently use a Pitboss 820. Had it for about 3 years and it’s performed well. I have noticed it’s more difficult to maintain temp settings in extreme conditions lately but it’s been a reliable cooker and has a sliding shield that allows you to sear meat. 3 years ago some of the other pellet grills didn’t offer that feature but assume that’s changed. It was and still is cheaper than the similar Traeger model I think? I’d buy another one but I might decide to upgrade to a Rectec now that I’ve got some pellet cooking experience.

UPDATE: Thanks much or all the great input! You saved me a bunch of time / effort but have no final decision. The Vent never disappoints!
RecTec RT-700 here. Love the damn thing. Fire and forget! Wifi with warnings. Awesome food. Looks good. Get your pellets at Lowes and save a fortune. Hear Traeger is good, too. If deal is really good, don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
I must be the only person who has ever had an issue with Rectec. Bought a 590 a few months ago and it would fire up maybe one out of 5 times. The first guy I talked to asked what pellets I was using. When I told him Rectec pellets, he told me they sucked and to go buy Kingsford pellets and it would fix the problem. I asked if he was seriously telling me that the product that I just spent a lot of money on was not good and to go by a competitor’s product. He also said I could have received a bad bag of pellets. I said ok, send me a good bag or refund my money, but he said they could not do that. Six weeks later and a dozen calls back and forth on what the problem was, I told them that I wanted a refund. Finally got a higher up that said it is extremely rare, but I probably had a cracked igniter stick. They sent a new one that I replaced and I have not had a problem since. They eventually made it right and even comp’d me a front folding shelf, but I had a useless grill for about two months. I will say that since the igniter was fixed, I have been really pleased.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
I like to periodically survey users on this, but how does the smoky flavor compare on the pellet smokers versus something like a big green egg? That's been my biggest hesitation.
JMO, but there is no comparison between food cooked on a pellet smoker and a kamado-style smoker. Kamado is the hands down winner. Care to weigh in @SamboDawg?

JMO, but there is no comparison between food cooked on a pellet smoker and a kamado-style smoker. Kamado is the hands down winner. Care to weigh in @SamboDawg?

Haha. Never trust the flavor of the most expensive food you buy to compressed sawdust, wires, foreign components, a gravity fed hopper, and a mechanical auger. Learn to manipulate fuel, heat, and airflow and you can cook anything, including the largest component of your household food budget.

I really like mine! On a spring weekend I can put some meat on and start cutting grass and do all my acreage and I have never had any issues! Keeps temp great

I literally put a brisket on my Traeger and went to my granddaughter's gymnastics meet. Got home about 10 hour later and checked the temp, bumped the heat up a bit for a couple of hours, took it off, wrapped it up and put it in a cooler and then put in the fridge for the weekend. Took it to work on Monday for my employees and they constantly beg me to do another one. I still like a stick burner when I have the time but if you like smoked meat without having to spend a day minding the fire, pellets are the way to go.

Reactions: A Tale of Two Dawgs
Haha. Never trust the flavor of the most expensive food you buy to compressed sawdust, wires, foreign components, a gravity fed hopper, and a mechanical auger. Learn to manipulate fuel, heat, and airflow and you can cook anything, including the largest component of your household food budget.
I can fix about anything with about any flavor on my BGE... but that also means I have to do it all every time which ties me down when I have other things to do. Was originally thinking I'd just sell the BGE but now I'm tempted to keep it around just to do butts / shoulders / roasts and such.

Reactions: SamboDawg
All that may be true, but it's a time issue for me. It seems like a hobby for you and you are willing to put in the time and effort. I think that's great. Me, I'd prefer to be on the lake, checking the temp of everything, slowing it down or speeding it up depending on how long we are going to be out. Or a dozen other things other than hanging around the house checking the heat and doing the things you need to do. But, I get where you are coming from and power to you.

I can fix about anything with about any flavor on my BGE... but that also means I have to do it all every time which ties me down when I have other things to do. Was originally thinking I'd just sell the BGE but now I'm tempted to keep it around just to do butts / shoulders / roasts and such.
I definitely don’t want to get rid of mine. Plus I doubt I’d get much for it used (and it’s a decade old). But I’m considering the pellet grill just for time when I don’t have the ability or wherewithal to manage the cook.

RecTec RT-700 here. Love the damn thing. Fire and forget! Wifi with warnings. Awesome food. Looks good. Get your pellets at Lowes and save a fortune. Hear Traeger is good, too. If deal is really good, don't think you can go wrong.
They’re cheap at Academy Sports too.

UPDATE: Thanks much or all the great input! You saved me a bunch of time / effort but have no final decision. The Vent never disappoints!
Camp Chef Woodwind has caught my eye

Absolutely love my Traeger, and the wife can also cook on it. It’s absolutely flawless

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Recteq Bullseye owner here and I absolutely love it. For that price point, you can't do any better.

Purchased a Trager Texas Elite about 5 years ago, the wife just adores the thing. I keep it clean and she keeps the food on the table. Every now and then she lets me cook on it. Most of the are on equal ground now when it come to Brands. Good luck with your selection.

Purchased a Trager Texas Elite about 5 years ago, the wife just adores the thing. I keep it clean and she keeps the food on the table. Every now and then she lets me cook on it. Most of the are on equal ground now when it come to Brands. Good luck with your selection.
Great return on investment 😂

Reactions: SBuckheadDawg
I have a couple of Traegers and love them. Not in love with my BGE that came with property I bought near Ellijay. When in a hurry I use a Orion cooker. Not as good but really quick.

All that may be true, but it's a time issue for me. It seems like a hobby for you and you are willing to put in the time and effort. I think that's great. Me, I'd prefer to be on the lake, checking the temp of everything, slowing it down or speeding it up depending on how long we are going to be out. Or a dozen other things other than hanging around the house checking the heat and doing the things you need to do. But, I get where you are coming from and power to you.

There's a million different ways to get to the same result...to each their own. I honestly don't care...I was simply asked to weigh in. However, to your point regarding cooking maintenance...I know how to manipulate fuel, heat, and airflow and the relationship between temperature and weight so I can leave my Big Green Egg for an all day baseball tourney, play a round of golf, go fly fishing for the day, etc, etc...and never touch it. And no, I don't use apps, temp probes, a fan, etc. But i'm not going to try to convince anyone what to do as long as it works for them. It's futile. Happy cooking.

There's a million different ways to get to the same result...to each their own. I honestly don't care...I was simply asked to weigh in. However, to your point regarding cooking maintenance...I know how to manipulate fuel, heat, and airflow and the relationship between temperature and weight so I can leave my Big Green Egg for an all day baseball tourney, play a round of golf, go fly fishing for the day, etc, etc...and never touch it. And no, I don't use apps, temp probes, a fan, etc. But i'm not going to try to convince anyone what to do as long as it works for them. It's futile. Happy cooking.

I had many times where green egg would go out/run out of fuel over night or when out and about. I liked my BGE. I Love my RecTec

Have had 2 BGEs over the last 20yrs. I was a true believer. Then last year I moved and gave my BGE to my brother as it needed to have the seals replaced and some other things fixed And it was so damn heavy I didn’t want to fool with moving it. I got a Traeger and now I wouldn’t go back to a BGE again. So much easier and so much less time involved with calibration. Just set it and forget it. Have the ability to hook it to my phone via Bluetooth. It’s idiot proof and trust me after nursing the BGE for hours and drinking lots of bourbon I can turn into a grilling idiot

I like to periodically survey users on this, but how does the smoky flavor compare on the pellet smokers versus something like a big green egg? That's been my biggest hesitation.

There’s a huge difference in flavor. There’s really no comparison if you’re coming from an Egg. I got a camp chef pellet smoker in November for thanksgiving and while the bird looked great after the cook, it had virtually no smoke flavor compared to what I was used to (the egg). My family complained about it too.

My egg always looked like it was burning birds. They came out basically black but they always taste amazing. Maybe I don’t have a sophisticated palate and I require heavy smoke in order to taste it. I don’t know. But I have been very disappointed with the pellet Smoker. I BBQd a few more things in the pellet smoker since and the lack of smoker flavor compared to what I’m used to was apparent and disappointing.

There’s a huge difference in flavor. There’s really no comparison if you’re coming from an Egg. I got a camp chef pellet smoker in November for thanksgiving and while the bird looked great after the cook, it had virtually no smoke flavor compared to what I was used to (the egg). My family complained about it too.

My egg always looked like it was burning birds. They came out basically black but they always taste amazing. Maybe I don’t have a sophisticated palate and I require heavy smoke in order to taste it. I don’t know. But I have been very disappointed with the pellet Smoker. I BBQd a few more things in the pellet smoker since and the lack of smoker flavor compared to what I’m used to was apparent and disappointing.
My chicken on the BGE also looks burnt, but it's also amazing. Spatchcock chicken is the way to go there.

IMO smoke from the BGE is overpowering and gives me heart burn. The smoke I get from my Recteq with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets is perfect for me and my taste.

Reactions: Rick Dawg 11
IMO smoke from the BGE is overpowering and gives me heart burn. The smoke I get from my Recteq with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets is perfect for me and my taste.
It is powerful, it also gives me heartburn, but it's worth it.

If you're having a lot of problems, make sure to let some of the heavy smoke bleed out before you put the meat on. You need to let the heavy stuff clear before putting the meat on or it gets too smoky.

I use Alder for fish, mesquite for beef, pecan for fowl, hickory / apple for pork. Is swapping pellets for different smoke flavor a chore on a RecTec? How do you clean out the fire pot? Thanks!!

I have a whole stack of hickory, about half a cord, under part of the run-in shed drying courtesy of the real bad windstorm this winter.

the only complaint I have with my Weber kettle is that it’s not big enough. Have a Weber genesis II to deal with the overflow. Spending more money on a grill is not realistic. Burn lump charcoal in it, and large pieces of wood.

Last edited:
What temp are you

What cooking temps were you using on the Traeger when you cook a turkey and BBQ? Curious...

Are "Backyard Pro" pellet grills any good? They look an awful lot like similar sized Traegers. I have no experience with pellet grills, so this thread has been illuminating. ;)

I think you read some snark into my post that I didn't intend it to have. I wasn't being critical ... I know there are those of you who enjoy the more laborious aspect of the BGE and other smokers. I do think that is great. I was just pointing out that one of the Pros of the pellet smokers is their "fire and forget" nature for those of us not as skilled or as interested in that aspect of the BGE, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT