ADVERTISEMENT

Radical thought on the UGA campus arrests...

steelchair

Pillar of the DawgVent
Jul 26, 2001
obey the law?

- Have a valid drivers license and wear your seat belt?
(not specific to any arrest...just some thoughts:)

- Don't have drugs or alcohol in your vehicle...especially if you're under age
- Don't get in bar fights...in fact, hanging out in a bar late at night isn't in your best interest.
- Don't smoke weed. (I know, this sounds crazy)
- Don't have a weapon in a zero tolerance area...like the UGA campus.
- Don't destroy school property.
- Don't steal valuables from your team mates or other students...or anyone.

I'm sure there are way more. But, this would be a good starting point.

I also realize there are many of you that will say, "C'mon, these are college kids for heavens sake"..."you did all that stuff when you were in school!"... First, I didn't do all that stuff when I was in school. Second, it's a fact that, as a student athlete...and rightly or wrongly so, you are held to a higher standard. You are attending the school ON THEIR DIME and you are expected to follow the rules. It may not be fair...but, it's the way it is.

Having said this, I think there have been many borderline silly arrest involving ACC and the UGA police over the years. But, the football team should know this by know and act accordingly. I also realize that there is usually a direct correlation with number of wins and the Fulmer cup. Both tend to go up at the same time.

Instead of making excuses for bad behavior, why not own up to it and try to correct it.

I think the only one that applied to Briscoe, was the 1st one. And even that is questionable as he may have had a MD DL. But if he did not have MD DL, then he shouldn't have been on the road.

But I'd add one or 2 more. Don't pick up your scooter and take back home if it's been booted because you parked it on the grass outside racks on north campus since all the spots for legal scooter racks were taken. Better to say to H with class! Otherwise, you could be accused and having warrant issued for 1) stealing boot on your own vehicle 2) breaking boot. Neither were true. (see Rennie Curran)

And if you DO drink, by all means don't hail a cab to keep from drinking or driving, etc. , just keep walking on the sidewalk going down Lumpkin St. You never know, at night, hard to tell a cab from a police car. But that too, can get you arrested. : )

Always give your middle name if stopped. If you don't, there's a place on Lexington Rd for you.

I think the only one that applied to Briscoe, was the 1st one. And even that is questionable as he may have had a MD DL. But if he did not have MD DL, then he shouldn't have been on the road.

But I'd add one or 2 more. Don't pick up your scooter and take back home if it's been booted because you parked it on the grass outside racks on north campus since all the spots for legal scooter racks were taken. Better to say to H with class! Otherwise, you could be accused and having warrant issued for 1) stealing boot on your own vehicle 2) breaking boot. Neither were true. (see Rennie Curran)

And if you DO drink, by all means don't hail a cab to keep from drinking or driving, etc. , just keep walking on the sidewalk going down Lumpkin St. You never know, at night, hard to tell a cab from a police car. But that too, can get you arrested. : )

Always give your middle name if stopped. If you don't, there's a place on Lexington Rd for you.

It was stated he never had a DL in any state, has failed the test twice.

It was stated he never had a DL in any state, has failed the test twice.
Ok. Only thing I read was ABH's article yesterday where he didn't tell cop he had a MD license (or that he didn't) and he failed it once.

He obviously shouldn't have driven a car. However, if he failed the driver's test twice, I wonder how he's going to stay eligible. That or he simply didn't study for the test.

As for Clay and Rochester, throwing two guys in jail and placing them under a $5000 bond while charging them with felonies for BB guns in their dorm rooms is idiotic and excessive. They should have been written up for housing violations, held responsible for paying for the damages, and then further punishment from Smart. That should have been the end of it.

He obviously shouldn't have driven a car. However, if he failed the driver's test twice, I wonder how he's going to stay eligible. That or he simply didn't study for the test.

As for Clay and Rochester, throwing two guys in jail and placing them under a $5000 bond while charging them with felonies for BB guns in their dorm rooms is idiotic and excessive. They should have been written up for housing violations, held responsible for paying for the damages, and then further punishment from Smart. That should have been the end of it.

gawga,

They were not BB guns. They were pellet guns that fall under the weapons category. The reason is that they look exactly like real handguns.

The property owner loses leverage without the citations. The court can now mandate the payment for repairs instead of the property owner spending their own money chasing these families. Who exactly was going to hold them accountable?

th
th

Which one is the pellet gun? And how about this one?

th

There is a reason these guns are considered weapons and illegal on certain properties. The property owner is a businessman. He wants all illegal activity stopped and damages paid. He is not in business to babysit teenagers that have the common sense to shoot up his building.

This really isn't that hard. The court will decide what to do. They will be treated fairly and move on. But there will be consequences. Rules can never be a deterrent if the rule is never used when broken.

Just saying.

You keep arguing this nonsense and it is nothing more than semantics. Whether they were pellet guns or BB guns, who gives a damn? You can also post pictures all day long. The fact that they make BB/Pellet guns look like real guns doesn't make the offense more serious. What the police did here was over the top and excessive and they have put a permanent mark on these kids records for life. You would think these idiots had more important matters to deal with, like drug stores being robbed. Nobody said they shouldn't be held accountable, but felonies. Give me a friggin' break. The idiots who robbed the drug store won't get treated any worse.

You keep arguing this nonsense and it is nothing more than semantics. Whether they were pellet guns or BB guns, who gives a damn? You can also post pictures all day long. The fact that they make BB/Pellet guns look like real guns doesn't make the offense more serious. What the police did here was over the top and excessive and they have put a permanent mark on these kids records for life. You would think these idiots had more important matters to deal with, like drug stores being robbed. Nobody said they shouldn't be held accountable, but felonies. Give me a friggin' break. The idiots who robbed the drug store won't get treated any worse.

I don't really disagree with you. But the point is that they damaged someones else's property and did not own up to it. When it was found, other responsibilities were found. They had guns in their room that they contractually agreed not to have and had drugs on site that were illegal. All this falls on the students.

The only reason they are in trouble is because they shot up the property and the maintenance guy found the items while there to do the repairs. All of this falls on the students.

The police only did what the business owner demands of them, document and put the process in a situation where he can get restitution and remove the illegal items. All of this falls on the students.

Or the police department can baby sit 18 year old's all day long and pat them on the butt. But only first asking each student if they play football.

When police don't do this, it causes enormous problems legally. Ask anyone who let a police officer walk away from an automobile accident without issuing a citation.

The police are idiots and these poor innocent kids might have made a mistake that messes up their life? Whose fault is that?

The court system will not allow this to stay on their permanent records as long as the students show remorse, get the damage paid and do community service of some kind. Of course, they will have fines and probation until it is all completed.

Bet cha they won't have guns in their apartment again. I maybe they will have more respect for other peoples property in the future.

Then they won't have to deal with all those stupid police officers.

It could have been a gun that shoots BB's & pellets. There are many combo guns out there like that.

obey the law?

- Have a valid drivers license and wear your seat belt?
(not specific to any arrest...just some thoughts:)

- Don't have drugs or alcohol in your vehicle...especially if you're under age
- Don't get in bar fights...in fact, hanging out in a bar late at night isn't in your best interest.
- Don't smoke weed. (I know, this sounds crazy)
- Don't have a weapon in a zero tolerance area...like the UGA campus.
- Don't destroy school property.
- Don't steal valuables from your team mates or other students...or anyone.

I'm sure there are way more. But, this would be a good starting point.

I also realize there are many of you that will say, "C'mon, these are college kids for heavens sake"..."you did all that stuff when you were in school!"... First, I didn't do all that stuff when I was in school. Second, it's a fact that, as a student athlete...and rightly or wrongly so, you are held to a higher standard. You are attending the school ON THEIR DIME and you are expected to follow the rules. It may not be fair...but, it's the way it is.

Having said this, I think there have been many borderline silly arrest involving ACC and the UGA police over the years. But, the football team should know this by know and act accordingly. I also realize that there is usually a direct correlation with number of wins and the Fulmer cup. Both tend to go up at the same time.

Instead of making excuses for bad behavior, why not own up to it and try to correct it.
I don't know anyone who doesn't think these latest goof balls are guilty and deserve punishment. However, felony charges for the BB gun and being arrested for a traffic stop where drugs and alcohol are not involved in over-the-top ridiculous!!!

It could have been a gun that shoots BB's & pellets. There are many combo guns out there like that.
You can drop a BB down the barrel of any pellet gun and it'll fire, although with a tad less muzzle velocity.

I don't know anyone who doesn't think these latest goof balls are guilty and deserve punishment. However, felony charges for the BB gun and being arrested for a traffic stop where drugs and alcohol are not involved in over-the-top ridiculous!!!

OK......again........they were not BB guns.

Protocol is arrest for driving without a valid license. Not only that, he had failed the test.

Not sure what your beef is.

OK......again........they were not BB guns.

Protocol is arrest for driving without a valid license. Not only that, he had failed the test.

Not sure what your beef is.
Felony charges for a Pellet Gun are ridiculous too!!!

They can't just call a coach to come get him, well I guess that isn't allowed in Athens but everywhere else!!!

The worse thing that ever happened to UGA was destroying the athletic dorm. They could have kept it open by putting reg students on one floor. You can blame Adams for that, he wanted to fill his new dorms that no one wanted to move into in. Players being bored , scaring reg students as they get off the elevators seems innocent enough, but when something that looks like a real gun is involved ... The bigger issue is the drug and underage drinking in the dorms. Other schools have figured out ways to police their athletes. UGA has not quite figured it out yet. Its not the police fault that people break the law and get caught.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT