ADVERTISEMENT

Really good article on the gymnastics search by Chip Towers on the AJC.

Gfunk20

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017
If you’re a gymnastics fan, it’s a really good read that gives you a glimpse at where the search is now and talks about Jay Clark, who just won LSU’s first title in gymnastics, turned down coming back home to his alama mater. I would provide the screenshots but not sure how that would be received here on DV and not sure I can post content like that since it’s not exclusively from UGASports. Here are the cliff notes and I’ll provide the link from the ajc for those of y’all that have access and can view it.

-Clark declined a lucrative offer to return to Athens as HC, opting to stay at LSU.

-Clark, a UGA graduate, previously served as UGA’s gymnastics head coach from 2010-2012 and spent 20 years with the program.

-Courtney Kupets Carter, UGA’s former gymnastics coach, was fired after seven years without contending for a national title.

-Clark’s decision to remain at LSU included a succession plan involving former UGA gymnast Courtney McCool Griffeth and her husband.

-Clark’s contract details with LSU are unknown, but he is married to former UGA gymnast Julie Ballard.

-Georgia is seeking experienced coaches to replace Kupets Carter, with potential candidates including coaches from Cal, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Florida.

-Georgia aims to conclude its coaching search quickly to retain prized freshman Lily Smith.

-Clark’s tenure as UGA’s head coach fell short of expectations, with no national title contention in three seasons.

-Georgia gymnastics has had eight head coaches, including Yoculan, Clark, Durante, and Kupets Carter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News