ADVERTISEMENT

Sankey, Stetson, etc.

bbutcher19

National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2019
I attended a fundraising event recently and got to meet Greg Sankey. I have some random info that yall might appreciate. Sankey spoke at the event and was incredibly impressive. Of course most of the conversation revolved around NIL. It was fascinating to learn of all of the things preventing changing NIL. Lawsuits from around the country are preventing a fix. Sankey mentioned that even the most discussed solutions like collective bargaining have major issues with them and aren’t the easy fix many make them out to be.

A few notes from the event:

-confirmed from a coach that drake may was offered 3 million from another school but stayed for 1.5M at UNC. This same coach loved the 12 team playoff concept.

-the players often get a bad rap for what their “agents” (often family members or unqualified reps) do to shop them around for more cash. We demonize the kid when it’s often someone else shopping them. When, like Drake May, you may be able to get a big pay day at another school, the kid hits the portal, but the kid may not have personally been searching for more money. The “agent” wants to shop the kid so they get their cut.

-sankey said he knows hundreds of players who were promised money but aren’t getting it. Many of these players/families won’t tell anyone because they are embarrassed that they fell for a sales pitch from a school.

-Sankey said UCLA moving to the big ten was a move made in spite, magnified the issues in the ACC. Also said Fox network helped make the move happen. Found that odd.

-Multiple lawsuits exist against the SEC currently as they try to fix NIL. One popped up the day of the event, delaying Sankey’s involvement in the event.

-Spoke with someone close to the Rams. They said Stetson is keeping his head down and trying to stay on the straight and narrow. They also said Stetson was called out in front of the team for not knowing a teammate he should have known because he works with them every day. Apparently, McVay quizzes the team on knowing their teammates, staff members at the facility every day. Stetson was called on but didn’t know the answer. He apologized to the teammate and said he just froze when put on the spot. Personally, I love Stetson and hope he can stay healthy and secure a role in the NFL.

-Sankey said 2020 bama team was one of the best coaching jobs he’s seen across any sport in his role. Also praised Dawn Staley a lot.

-he also wondered why Saban switched defensive fronts in the playoff last year when it wasn’t working.

I know, lots of random notes, but based on the questions asked and comversations I had, that was the points I found interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News