ADVERTISEMENT

Scheffler arrested outside PGA where a car wreck had occurred

Scottie showing up for his tee time

stone-cold-steve-austin-wrestle-mania.gif

Yeah, let's just blame the officer for not getting out of the way and allowing a golfer to enter a fatality accident scene at his convenience. My guess is the officer was overly aggressive but I can also see the possibility that emergency responders may have been involved in an activity (maybe like removing a body) that required them to stop traffic completely during that task. I don't think SS meant any harm but I also think there are things that are more important than a tee time.
An arrest just flat wasn’t justified. Scottie was in a marked car that said he was playing in the tournament. It’s reasonable for him to think that he was in normal morning traffic he was allowed to go around.

A normal human being would have stopped him and explained “sir, we are investigating a traffic incident, you cannot go around” and Scottie almost certainly would have said “here are my ID and credentials, I’m in the tournament” and they could have figured out a solution like two reasonable humans. They could have been adults and both explained what they were doing and come to an understanding that each man had a job to do and neither meant the other harm.

Except that Scottie wasn’t dealing with a reasonable human. He was dealing with some dipshit on a power trip who got a boner over being able to arrest Scottie

Unless Scotty told him I don't care what you say and just disregarded it, the working assumption should be that this was a player trying to get into the tournament (as others were), who believed he had access that others didn't. Charging this as a felony is almost certainly absurd, but sure, we can review the video to see if Scotty admitted that he knew he wasn't supposed to be there and disregarded the officers instructions anyway. That's about the evidence I will need to think that any of this had any remote justification.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say the officer didn't make a mistake but being told you will be allowed to pass doesn't mean you're allowed to pass if an officer is standing, working or temporarily stopping traffic in the area where you've been instructed to go. If a video exists and it shows an officer trying to stop the car before entering the area and SS proceeding to the point where the officer jumps on the car, I'd say an arrest was justified. If it appears SS was carefully trying to enter the path he's be informed would be open to him and an officer jumps out from behind another vehicle and acts a fool, I'm all for criticism him as well.

Reactions: TivoliDawg
Yeah, let's just blame the officer for not getting out of the way and allowing a golfer to enter a fatality accident scene at his convenience. My guess is the officer was overly aggressive but I can also see the possibility that emergency responders may have been involved in an activity (maybe like removing a body) that required them to stop traffic completely during that task. I don't think SS meant any harm but I also think there are things that are more important than a tee time.
But Scotty doesn't know what was going on, and they have security blocking access at all his events, so even if the officer was initially perturbed, if he had a lick of common sense, he would've calmed down afterwards, processed what happened, and said "OK, this probably isn't a felony assault of a police officer."

Instead, he acted like a typical hothead, overcharged him, and showed him "who the boss was."

Get out of the moment, and ask yourself five years from now, whether you are going to think this was a situation demanding felony charges. Hot heads can't take themselves out of the moment. That's why they shouldn't be given badges.

Don’t you normally keep your clothes on for this kind of crime. Jesus. They put him in an orange jumpsuit already. Scottie heading to gen pop this morning. He figured Tiger was in his own clothes after his dui arrest. Real street cred is only garnered if you have to wear orange. Scottie doing the necessary things to become the goat.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say the officer didn't make a mistake but being told you will be allowed to pass doesn't mean you're allowed to pass if an officer is standing, working or temporarily stopping traffic in the area where you've been instructed to go. If a video exists and it shows an officer trying to stop the car before entering the area and SS proceeding to the point where the officer jumps on the car, I'd say an arrest was justified. If it appears SS was carefully trying to enter the path he's be informed would be open to him and an officer jumps out from behind another vehicle and acts a fool, I'm all for criticism him as well.
Oh FFS. He's driving in dark and rain, the only way an arrest is justified is if you think he intentionally disregarded the officers orders. And under the circumstances, unless you have an admission from Scheffler, you should not assume the intent that justifies booking him.

The officer attaching himself to the car doesn't help, because that's not what the officer should be doing in that circumstance. But again, it's amazing the lengths people will go to excuse bad policing.

Don’t you normally keep your clothes on for this kind of crime. Jesus. They put him in an orange jumpsuit already. Scottie heading to gen pop this morning. He figured Tiger was in his own clothes after his dui arrest. Real street cred is only garnered if you have to wear orange. Scottie doing the necessary things to become the goat.
He’ll be running Cell Block B in no time.

But Scotty doesn't know what was going on, and they have security blocking access at all his events, so even if the officer was initially perturbed, if he had a lick of common sense, he would've calmed down afterwards, processed what happened, and said "OK, this probably isn't a felony assault of a police officer."

Instead, he acted like a typical hothead, overcharged him, and showed him "who the boss was."

Get out of the moment, and ask yourself five years from now, whether you are going to think this was a situation demanding felony charges. Hot heads can't take themselves out of the moment. That's why they shouldn't be given badges.
Depends on whether the officer gave SS ample opportunity to see him and was signaling him to stop. I DGAS what the venue and PGA tour told SS, if he entered the area and didn't stop when instructed by the officer, the arrest wasn't the fault of the officer. If it turns out SS wasn't instructed to stop and was entering the area he was told to use in a safe manner, I'd call for the officer to be disciplined.

Oh FFS. He's driving in dark and rain, the only way an arrest is justified is if you think he intentionally disregarded the officers orders. And under the circumstances, unless you have an admission from Scheffler, you should not assume the intent that justifies booking him.

The officer attaching himself to the car doesn't help, because that's not what the officer should be doing in that circumstance. But again, it's amazing the lengths people will go to excuse bad policing.
Exactly - if the cop really did attach himself to the vehicle then he is the one that escalated the situation.

An arrest just flat wasn’t justified. Scottie was in a marked car that said he was playing in the tournament. It’s reasonable for him to think that he was in normal morning traffic he was allowed to go around.

A normal human being would have stopped him and explained “sir, we are investigating a traffic incident, you cannot go around” and Scottie almost certainly would have said “here are my ID and credentials, I’m in the tournament” and they could have figured out a solution like two reasonable humans. They could have been adults and both explained what they were doing and come to an understanding that each man had a job to do and neither meant the other harm.

Except that Scottie wasn’t dealing with a reasonable human. He was dealing with some dipshit on a power trip who got a boner over being able to arrest Scottie
I’ve seen multiple people claiming this was some kind of “badge of honor” to arrest Scottie Schefler…but was that not debunked earlier in the video of the ESPN reporter who was there and said the officer did not know who Scheffler was?

I’ll wait for the video to come out before getting in a tissy over this. I can definitely see how a dangerous situation was created by Scheffler not following directions and the officer overreacting after having to body tackle his vehicle to get him to stop. Having almost been run over numerous times myself previously, it can be incredibly frustrating but still have to maintain a level head.

In my original response, I said I would want to see a video before I criticized the officer. It may be the officer was completely out of line. It's also possible that the officer tried to stop SS from proceeding into the area and SS decided his need to get to the venue was more important than officers working an accident scene. If SS was instructed to stop and continued towards officers working an accident, the issue may not be completely with the officer.

Reactions: maugwa
I don't know about how cops generally are at these situations. I had come in on a long haul red-eye flight and my parents were driving me home from Macon. There was an accident and the interstate was blocked off. My mother was driving. She was 70 or so at the time. It was night and all the flashing lights and everything kind of freaked her out and she didn't go where the cop was directing her to go. He screamed at her to stop. She did and he went absolutely crazy on her. I was at first kind of like in shock and then became angry, but I knew if I started saying something it could end up with him taking me in. I just sarcastically said "Thanks for looking after us and your kindness you have shown to my mom." We drove on. But it was obvious that dude was really worked up that night before we arrived.

Do you know the whole story? Have you heard from the actual cop attached to his windshield being carried down the road? Or deos a single tweet capture it all?
I’ll take the reputation of Scottie over the reputation of law enforcement (and more specifically, Louisville law enforcement) every day of the week.

Feel pretty good having listened to the eye witness reports as well.

I hope this cope gets what he deserves. If he wants to be a cowboy cop he should get to deal with some really tough and dangerous men so he can prove what a tough guy he is.

there's no way he thought it was normal morning traffic. All the players had been alerted to what was going on with the accident . I'm not saying Scottie did anything wrong but for sure he knew it wasn't a normal drive to the course .

Here’s the thing: everyone has stress at their jobs, and we all have to encounter misunderstandings at our job from time to time. I know I get pissed off at work and sometimes have to take a walk around and cool off or whatever. It’s just that I can’t throw opposing counsel or my paralegal in handcuffs.

I get that LEOs have a stressful job and maybe the officer was stressed. But only cops have the power to restrict someone’s liberty by force and, I’m sorry, but if you’ve got such a hair trigger like this idiot did, maybe you’re not qualified to make decisions about the liberty of our citizens and need to go do something else for a career like rake a zen garden or birdwatching since you can’t handle your job.

Sounds like Scheffler is not totally innocent here. Police told him to stop, he kept going. Policeman attached himself to the car and he still kept going. Maybe he didn’t understand what was going on, but if a uniformed officer/security guard tells you to stop and physically gets on/in front of your car you don’t keep driving.
yes Ive thought about that, also, the whole "do you know who that is you are arresting" narrative is hilarious, shouldn't matter who it is, if you disobey the cops it shouldn't matter who you are. The cop did seem over zealous though and I dont feel like an arrest should have happened.

Reactions: TivoliDawg
Depends on whether the officer gave SS ample opportunity to see him and was signaling him to stop. I DGAS what the venue and PGA tour told SS, if he entered the area and didn't stop when instructed by the officer, the arrest wasn't the fault of the officer. If it turns out SS wasn't instructed to stop and was entering the area he was told to use in a safe manner, I'd call for the officer to be disciplined.
If you think felony assault was a justified charge here, I really can't help you. That charge itself speaks to who maintained the level head and who didn't.

Criminal law versus code enforcement. You don't charge code violators with felonies.

The “who he is” is because he’s a player. And according to one of the reporters there, players were allowed in.
And he would have been allowed in as well. That doesn't mean he gets to ignore the instructions of officers on the scene. It seems fairly simple to me. If an officer was instructing SS to stop and he didn't, an arrest was understandable. If SS wasn't instructed to stop and the officer made the arrest on specious grounds, he deserves to be disciplined. My guess is the charges will be dropped but that doesn't mean LE isn't in complete control of the accident scene.

Look 20-30 other players did the same thing and no cop said anything because that’s what they were told to do. There literally was a reporter who saw the entire thing too. Zero reason for an arrest unless he was cussing out the cop and/or resisting. Write him a ticket and be done but instead a cop got on a power trip and made minor incident into national news
Calm down all you cop-hating Karen's, none of you were there either.

A TON of assumptions being made in this thread by the popo haters.

It doesn't matter if the guy was driving the f'ing Pope-mobile. If circumstances at the scene of the accident required all traffic--not just non-PGA tour player traffic--to stop (i.e., so that a body could be removed or so that a crime scene could be preserved if there was potential involuntary manslaughter), you have to obey an officer's orders. And if the circumstance surrounding the exchange between them was along those lines--where the officers were in the midst of something that required the scene to remain static--and ANYONE is not obeying orders to stop, that's absolutely a crime that could justify an on-spot arrest. Especially if he came close to hitting the officer with his vehicle after being told to remain stopped.

Again, I have no idea if those were the circumstances, or if it really was a cop on a power trip. But jumping to assumptions of "bad policing" or the officer not being a "reasonable human" says more about a problem you generally have with policemen than the actual situation here. An arrest could very well have been warranted if the guy disobeyed a reasonable police order at a potential crime scene and threatened the officer's physical safety in the process.

Last edited:
A TON of assumptions being made in this thread by the popo haters.

It doesn't matter if the guy was driving the f'ing Pope-mobile. If circumstances at the scene of the accident required all traffic--not just non-PGA tour player traffic--to stop (i.e., so that a body could be removed or so that a crime scene could be preserved if there was potential involuntary homicide), you have to obey an officer's orders. And if the circumstance surrounding the exchange between them was along those lines--where the officers were in the midst of something that required the scene to remain static--and ANYONE is not obeying orders to stop, that's absolutely a crime that could justify an on-spot arrest. Especially if he came close to hitting the officer with his vehicle after being told to remain stopped.

Again, I have no idea if those were the circumstances, or if it really was a cop on a power trip. But jumping to assumptions of "bad policing" or the officer not being a "reasonable human" says more about a problem you generally have with policemen than the actual situation here. An arrest could very well have been warranted if the guy disobeyed a reasonable police order at a potential crime scene and threatened the officer's physical safety in the process.
Louisville law enforcement lost the benefit of doubt long ago.

Louisville law enforcement lost the benefit of doubt long ago.
Again, prior prejudice is affecting your opinion. Every force has good and bad cops. The system tends to eventually keep the bad ones in check. If this was bad policing, then the cop and maybe the Louisville police department will be justifiably raked through the coals. But it could also just be a pro golfer on a power trip...

Again, prior prejudice is affecting your opinion. Every force has good and bad cops. The system tends to eventually keep the bad ones in check. If this was bad policing, then the cop and maybe the Louisville police department will be justifiably raked through the coals. But it could also just be a pro golfer on a power trip...
Eventually you make your own reputation, right or wrong.

Look forward to hearing from this officer- hopefully he’s OK with his “minor injuries.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT