ADVERTISEMENT

Small engine help needed...

Muscogee

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2005
Columbus, GA
I have a 5 year old lawn mower. Never had any problems. Put some old gas in it today. Upon startup got a lot of white smoke but it ran. I cut it off, dumped all the gas out, got fresh gastart, put it in lawn mower, started it up again. More white smoke, ran for a few seconds and died. Now it won't start.

Would appreciate advice on what to do to get it back running.

I have a 5 year old lawn mower. Never had any problems. Put some old gas in it today. Upon startup got a lot of white smoke but it ran. I cut it off, dumped all the gas out, got fresh gastart, put it in lawn mower, started it up again. More white smoke, ran for a few seconds and died. Now it won't start.

The two best (easiest) things you can do are 1) replace the fuel filter (should be pretty easy and you can get most of them at HD). 2) HD also carries a product called "Mechanic in a bottle". Drain the gas, put some of that in the tank and let it sit overnight. Next day, add gas and start 'er up. ...this is AFTER you've changed the fuel filter.

This SHOULD get you going...

The two best (easiest) things you can do are 1) replace the fuel filter (should be pretty easy and you can get most of them at HD). 2) HD also carries a product called "Mechanic in a bottle". Drain the gas, put some of that in the tank and let it sit overnight. Next day, add gas and start 'er up. ...this is AFTER you've changed the fuel filter.

Hey, are you the same steelchair I've known for a while? If so, how've you been?

Hey, are you the same steelchair I've known for a while? If so, how've you been?
Yes sir! Well! mostly just getting my political hackles up over this crew of bed wetting liberals here.

And, struggling through the growing pains of a new coach and the mess the old one left.

But yes, one and the same...hope you're doing well. Are you finally completely retired?

Yes sir! Well! mostly just getting my political hackles up over this crew of bed wetting liberals here.

And, struggling through the growing pains of a new coach and the mess the old one left.

But yes, one and the same...hope you're doing well. Are you finally completely retired?
Me, retired? heck no. I just had my 60th BD back in April, and will probably work another 4-5 years. I'm doing ok, just a little older. Nice to see you again!

White smoke is oil. When you dumped the gas you got some oil leaking out the top into carburetor. Just run it off. It will be fine. No repair necessary

After you have done all this, remove plug and shoot some wd-40 in the hole and replace plug. Start her up.

Go to Home Depot, buy a bottle of Engine fix ( or something close to that wording) re-drain, add pure non-ethanol gas ( 90 octane from an independent station) add Engine fix, add pure gas, start.

Edit, somebody smarter than me already nailed it, the product is Mechanic In A bottle. The fuel filter is also sound advice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT