ADVERTISEMENT

So I went to the Uga v Iowa soccer match today. Quick question…….

Electric City Dawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2005
Anderson, SC
I guess I thought everything was good with the US and days of kneeling for the Anthem were over. Our #28, #7 and GK all quickly took a knee at midfield.

Not trying to get in a political conversation but what is the reasoning for that now? Is it about Jerusalem or Ukraine? Sure there’s a lot going on in the world but I don’t even think the Rapino lead USA team did that anymore this past year.

I’m cool with a lot of things, but I felt it was a bad look for uga out there. Iowa all stood with hand over heart. Can y’all offer any insight?

giphy.gif

Reactions: natty.now
The idea that even high profile professional athletes actually think that acsignificant segment of the population might actually take their social and political cues from them is ludicrous enough, let alone the same notion among obscure collegiate soccer players. I might stand a little to the left of many on here, but I have ZERO tolerance for this practice among people who are representing my school or any other for that matter. I respect what their coach has accomplished, but he should be held accountable for allowing this.

I guess I thought everything was good with the US and days of kneeling for the Anthem were over. Our #28, #7 and GK all quickly took a knee at midfield.

Not trying to get in a political conversation but what is the reasoning for that now? Is it about Jerusalem or Ukraine? Sure there’s a lot going on in the world but I don’t even think the Rapino lead USA team did that anymore this past year.

I’m cool with a lot of things, but I felt it was a bad look for uga out there. Iowa all stood with hand over heart. Can y’all offer any insight?
You stand to honor your country. International issues have nothing to do with our country’s national anthem.

To kneel or sit is like blaming your car when you get a speeding ticket.

To understand the system in place that allows you to kneel is reason enough to never kneel.

Kneeling is where stupidity meets ignorance.

The idea that even high profile professional athletes actually think that acsignificant segment of the population might actually take their social and political cues from them is ludicrous enough, let alone the same notion among obscure collegiate soccer players. I might stand a little to the left of many on here, but I have ZERO tolerance for this practice among people who are representing my school or any other for that matter. I respect what their coach has accomplished, but he should be held accountable for allowing this.
Thank you. I’m standing there in Clemson, excited to wear my uga gear for a valid reason. Lots of great Dawg fans there. Josh Brooks in attendance too.

When that happened I felt embarrassed for my alma mater. Several fans looked around at each other with that “what the hell” look.

8 of our girls were very respectful. Our coaches and subs were respectful. Just hard to believe they can’t find another way to express their dislike of our country than midfield during the NCAA tourney.

Good question…….daughter is a senior on a college soccer team here in the Midwest, they all stand with hand over heart, so do the fans.

My guess is, the demographics have changed along with the beliefs….they probably saw some ex pro QB take a knee and thought it was cool/fashionable to do so without ever giving it a second thought.

Last edited:

sounds like 3 peas in a pod 🤮…that soured. In any case, thanks for the info. Never been to a uga soccer game, won’t be going to one anytime soon. Just my way of saying thanks, but no thanks…was wondering, do you know what yr those 3 leave uga?

Last edited:

I would guess expressing support for Hamas or BLM or whatever the flavor of the month happens to be.

Last edited:
Kneeling during the National Anthem is so 2022.
still a turd thing, hate it for the girls on the team that didn’t want this as part of their season…I have no idea if they care or not. Hopefully they can keep winning despite the look at me trio antics of today, I don’t even know if they won or loss today.

Last edited:

Man this disappoints me greatly. I’ve been following this team all year and have enjoyed it. I love McAlpine and what he’s been able to do and has done there. My hope after reading this is that it was a one-off? 🤞🏻 thing to happen. It just doesn’t seem like something a UGA Sports team would do. Now, a squad in the more liberal NE or or western part of the country, wouldn’t be that surprised…

Curious if anyone reading this thread (probably not many folks who look at Dawgchat go to many soccer games, just my until thought) but has this been a “thing” during matches? Just seems weird. Only thing I could think of that they’re trying to “protest” is the Israeli war??? If so, gosh, hate that they’re doing that during the anthem. Think it’s a bad look on our university as you’d expect some liberal college to do something like that but not UGA teams…

Reactions: Athens is Heaven

Stupid women don't have a clue about why we have the greatest standard of living for more people than any country in the history of the planet. let them live somewhere else for a while

You stand to honor your country. International issues have nothing to do with our country’s national anthem.

To kneel or sit is like blaming your car when you get a speeding ticket.

To understand the system in place that allows you to kneel is reason enough to never kneel.

Kneeling is where stupidity meets ignorance.
I
Just need to do the anthem while the girls are in the locker room. Wokeness belongs in the bathroom anyway.
Yeah and it needs to be flushed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT