ADVERTISEMENT

So is Orange Crush just Freaknik reincarnated?

For those that remember those days in Atlanta.
My ex-wife and I had an anniversary party at a midtown pub on the first freaknik. Had no idea what we were in store for. Everybody, including us was waaay late. All our guests persevered and made it and we had a nice party, albeit 2 hours late. Getting home was also insane.

Nothing to do with Freaknik, but the funniest part of all was my ex had decided to go commando with a dress on. She got pretty drunk and proceeded to fall off of a bar stool and gave our friends and relatives a view that they will never forget.

My ex-wife and I had an anniversary party at a midtown pub on the first freaknik. Had no idea what we were in store for. Everybody, including us was waaay late. All our guests persevered and made it and we had a nice party, albeit 2 hours late. Getting home was also insane.

Nothing to do with Freaknik, but the funniest part of all was my ex had decided to go commando with a dress on. She got pretty drunk and proceeded to fall off of a bar stool and gave our friends and relatives a view that they will never forget.
We have rules!,,,,,

What is orange crush exactly?

I didn't know either.

Per google
“The Orange Crush beach party is rooted in celebrating the student culture of Savannah State University and the Southeast's other historically Black colleges and universities.”

GLrN7j_XgAAVL7c

My oldest daughter was born 5/6/98 and I recall being very concerned about getting from Newnan to Atlanta (formerly Georgia Baptist / Atlanta Medical) hospital during Freaknick. I also hear that Orange Crush is quite to mess in shutting down the one way in / out from Tybee to Savannah.

Freaknik was like ‘93-‘95. Didn’t think it was a thing in ‘98. I worked with a lady at the time who was in her late 20s/early 30s with a kid and she went down the and got all involved with Freaknik and was sitting on top of a moving car and got thrown off and got hurt fairly badly. Missed a week of work at least. I was like 23 at the time wondering what in the world she was thinking considering she was a mom and all.

Freaknik was like ‘93-‘95. Didn’t think it was a thing in ‘98. I worked with a lady at the time who was in her late 20s/early 30s with a kid and she went down the and got all involved with Freaknik and was sitting on top of a moving car and got thrown off and got hurt fairly badly. Missed a week of work at least. I was like 23 at the time wondering what in the world she was thinking considering she was a mom and all.

No. It peaked (in terms of craziness) in the 96-98 year range. APD ended it in 1999.

Orange Crush was going on at the same time that Freaknik was going on. Orange Crush was just smaller, and less known. Freaknik peaked in like 92-95 (started in the early 80’s though), by 96 Atlanta had gotten sick of it and started screwing with the traffic patterns ITP and trapped us all on 285, so we started going to Daytona for BCWOTB. Went there until about 98, and then I personally hung it up. There’s a BCWOTB in Virginia Beach as well. Good times!! 😊😊

I've seen the pictures off massive amounts of trash on the water line

Orange Crush was going on at the same time that Freaknik was going on. Orange Crush was just smaller, and less known. Freaknik peaked in like 92-95 (started in the early 80’s though), by 96 Atlanta had gotten sick of it and started screwing with the traffic patterns ITP and trapped us all on 285, so we started going to Daytona for BCWOTB. Went there until about 98, and then I personally hung it up. There’s a BCWOTB in Virginia Beach as well. Good times!! 😊😊
What is bcwotb? The Google machine is of no help.

I worked downtown and the first year I had to take a trip to a job site in Athens and escaped early and missed it, the next year it was like a hurricane was heading toward Atlanta and the town was empty by noon.

I worked downtown and the first year I had to take a trip to a job site in Athens and escaped early and missed it, the next year it was like a hurricane was heading toward Atlanta and the town was empty by noon.
I remember the traffic going thru Cobb on 75 was like being stuck in the middle of a Nascar race.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
My oldest daughter was born 5/6/98 and I recall being very concerned about getting from Newnan to Atlanta (formerly Georgia Baptist / Atlanta Medical) hospital during Freaknick. I also hear that Orange Crush is quite to mess in shutting down the one way in / out from Tybee to Savannah.
I was caught in the I-20 bumper to bumper traffic during freaknik one year. Just ahead was a van with 2 idiots on top dancing and having a great time. Eventually, the traffic opened up and everyone quickly sped up to normal 65+MPH....incuding that van.
Their eyes got huge as pie plates and they held on for dear life. Not sure if they survived but they drove for while with those guys on top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT