ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia 3-2-1 Report

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Three Observations

3. Look Who’s Back

The NFL Draft is in April of 2024. There are at least two Georgia players projected by most experts to be taken in the top 15 picks. Brock Bowers and Amarius Mims have both been sidelined with ankle injuries that required TightRope surgery. Georgia adapted to the loss of both players and kept on winning. Think about that for a second. How many teams could lose not one, but a pair of top-15 players, and still continue to win games? How many teams even have two top-15 players like that to lose?

So when I tell you that both will be playing on Saturday night, regardless of how much or how well, just try to imagine the impact that will have on their teammates. Or the impact on the crowd. The fans will be more excited than Keira Knightley’s shower head. And think of the opposition. “Welcome to Athens at night. I know it’s really tough to hear but I’d like you to meet Amarius and Brock.”

Brock’s mom told us “It’s literally going to be a 6:45 pm decision tomorrow by Kirby and it’s going to be like that for the foreseeable future.” But seeing as how Bowers was in a red jersey this week, he’s going to play.

The coverage Bowers will command opens up so many others. Mims gives Georgia a steady presence and he doesn’t give up pressures. Now, how much they play will be hard to predict, but they will be out there.

KM_Et4LaUDWzF6KNyH6RwLHMrkd-T1WLL6ExGQhEx0oIW1lvTssUndjT_f8hu26s2_AzFh5mVxnOdnQRqtqibfUj2mzw3fmjkMctYZsK_MxvGpYqjdSYukPBbeMM_5ya91CLjrNyvk3PbIU736P4NmkaaOS-A8hMsPiC2qtaxRpoZ3T7-OLGLiaHe7Ijhw

2. Wet and Wild

There’s rain in the forecast. Strange things happen on a slippery surface and with wet balls. Ask my ex. Both teams mostly operate out of the shotgun so there shouldn’t be an issue with the quarterback-center exchange. Usually, the offensive guy has an advantage in the rain, as he knows where he is going while the defender has to react. Plus, it’s tougher for defenders to rush the passer and change directions. The Ole Miss defense is built around pressure so the elements could be against them.

Nv7C0PxV6k9TdIGH8VQkQbmsvc60Rl4OwFbv3ELHx5DKpQhR77AWibQQEsB17UiSuzCOBLd9XLb4ta8AIkecCQETnqfswIv9lnw3YjtIMddhdWWRb7CMCYSXRUuOCcRTdSS3mpZ7codzdgkpj98q54TIfl7_N2OtIYBjjaCwFF4bUF6JZgicBQ7XBXlIsg

1. When it Counts

Lane Kiffin is certainly an outstanding offensive mind. Kirby hasn’t been piling on fake praise all week. Despite his Twitter persona, Kiffin is legit and Smart wanted everyone to know it. But Kiffin has not had a lot of success against winning teams. Prior to this season, in his stops at Tennessee, USC, FAU and Ole Miss, he was 1-19 against teams who won at least nine games. Against teams that have finished ranked in the Top 25, Kiffin is 4-23. Smart, on the other hand, is 24-11.

Georgia hasn’t lost a night game in Athens since 2009. And Kirby has challenged the fans to affect the game.

The pessimist in me wonders if Georgia can keep it up. It feels like Kiffin is due at some point. Ole Miss plays at a rapid pace and they force you to get lined up quickly or they will torch you. Georgia will miss Jamon Dumas-Johnson during those times.

But then I think about the fact that Ole Miss isn’t as good on the road as the Rebels score 20 fewer points per game and gain almost 200 fewer yards. This Georgia crowd could only make that lack of production even worse.

xe5ig_Owp_W0CQ97vJMrQzTMUZ2XbEfPAAVuJyrbhsJ9ADbNY9CAK-TCq9aeUGENQ71Y6RyMTGvWJ4H5kvXwWN-A8DMeeY6OOKqmTDO8BIdQFngK-NgfPzPkEyUbNaWKb-75kqKh7gzdm08KAIVoLQa9_84SZiHHjjcrqDaGHsKwV1fJqBD4Z_TU3qJ0IA

Two Questions

2. How will Georgia Defend the Ole Miss Juggernaut?

We saw a change up last week with Kamari Lassiter in the slot. Over the years, Smart has utilized extra defensive backs in a myriad of ways to stop the spread offense. We’ve seen extra safeties in dime coverage. We’ve seen more pass rushers and fewer big men in order to get pressure and set the edge. In other words this will be a chess match.

Look for Javon Bullard and Malaki Starks to play huge roles and for Georgia to mix it up on Trae Harris on the outside.

bKsfPXNl1FUVj_if2v8cFIBkUpUWh9mGCtxpaNcNvmZo6aPdwfcX9cdp5TaDDd00RcDpldBWBynlEoXsI1cXSo8n6wwxjCCE8tnn6Z5TT_vt7AlmZ0BABhFGCGAZG0bOykjhb6PCv-UZcLOrZxT39sDlTfM4QanvQgyWD_1rn0zMJ237baIy088xmmCitw

1. Is it Time?

Who would have thought it would be the 10th game of the season and we still haven’t seen Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers both healthy at the same time? We did for a little bit of the Vanderbilt game before Brock was hurt. The two games prior, Georgia was working Ladd back in slowly. He had one catch versus Kentucky.

Saturday could be what we were all waiting for…
  • 84 and 19 lined up together, making a safetie’s life absolute hell. Like my ex.
  • The power running of Kendall Milton and the slippery scampering of Dajiun Edwards
  • Continued progress from RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett
  • Steady production from Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint and Dillon Bell
  • An offensive line back to full strength

We might finally see the offense we were projecting to see all preseason.

Heck, we might even see Arain Smith get back on track. I know that’s getting greedy. Like my ex.

taXURiVJUtfG63jWjhWMpftVTcaekq841xMNG4SKJinO2vX-3LjJ5H_OYheoij-aBDfUhZ3TwIxHhvmy-PMEkALgtHlQ2P9Q_MTT5kdXtZRQd33u7NqhmBD6TyPT6jGFbNvJGAi2dkdlzuUz_SEq0YHja9pez2iUQSMsI_R6dsg59UK4pmfcDc5Tcxyp7Q

One Prediction

This should be the toughest game of the regular season. Georgia’s kicking game has to keep producing as the Bulldogs have an advantage there. The defense will need to limit explosive plays and drive-extending scrambles by Jaxson Dart. Above all, Georgia has to protect the ball.

As we mentioned earlier this week, Georgia is fourth in the nation at converting third downs and third in the nation at preventing teams from converting their third-down attempts. Ole Miss is 97th and 82nd in those respective categories.

Dawgs roll.

5_vglcjpWuhp3M_TJUf9Z-Jwn2fO2-zz7yKJDbEWouYaIfQOqBqq3P1szI7y2_SwvRddqgF85ZijMkJpuFfgh9tkbWEn9jfPzN0s2uDm77M0wqwqk1Zd0tCW875KcdGJ-njqGbk2114gOWdhd6t1wbQ_BBWQYgh5ujDfSQ1qo5XUEmf_bmxDCl4HtB5EmQ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News