ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Note The Last Word on Toneil Carter

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
As far as we are concerned, this is a closed issue. Georgia has moved on, as has Carter. In the end it may be a win-win for both parties.

That said, I would like to take a minute to clear up a few questions and tell you what we learned. No front page story, just clearing out the notebook on a closed chapter.

We were told last week, on Thursday, Carter would be pushed to Texas. The person who told me is someone I have known for years. Point is, this did not appear to be a weekend decision by the staff.

When we broke the news about Chubb and Michel staying, we were able to get a reaction from the Swift camp. The Carter camp was a bit different.

On Sunday, Trent had two more sources telling us that Carter would not be in the class. He posted an Insider Note that morning. Some outlets refuted that report with quotes from the Carter camp and we acknowledged that maybe a new narrative, that Carter was asked to come in June, had some legs. Things change in this business and our three different sources could have been wrong. It didn't seem likely considering what his trainer was telling us, but we had to concede the possibility. Carter himself seemed to indicate that the second narrative was correct.

On Monday, Carter decommitted from Georgia and then later that day committed to Texas.

Dash contacted Carter's coach, Todd Thompson. Coach Thompson told Dash that Georgia "Pulled the offer. Never mentioned him coming later."

Coach Thompson also said that Georgia never called him back like they said they would. Kirby never spoke with Carter.

So what we can take from this is that the whole, "They didn't have room for an early enrollee" narrative that we have heard so much about is false.

It seems that Georgia either didn't want Carter (seems unlikely) or the coaches felt they had enough running backs (more likely). Maybe six is too many. But they had six scholarship running backs on the roster this year. One graduates and one has been moved to inside linebacker. So maybe going forward Georgia only wants five and Carter was the odd man out.

I am sure this wasn't done lightly. Recruiting in Texas is tough enough already. Smart and Company know their business.

We normally don't spend as much time on a decommtiment but this one was a bit different and has monopolized the board for two days. It is time to move onto other topics. Look for an update to Jake's very popular 'Most Wanted' list after five of those guys committed already. Murf has a piece you have to see tomorrow too about building a scary offensive line.

And keep an eye out for a Christmas surprise .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News