ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Charlotte and Clemp ...

MetroDawg21

Pillar of the DawgVent
Sep 18, 2019
-Took a back way and parked in a neighborhood about a mile from the stadium. Worked out well. Got off I-85 about 20 miles outside of town per GPS suggestion. Didn't run into much traffic in the area.

-Area around the stadium was pretty split though there were a few random Cocks wandering around. I found that to be a little odd. Would think more UNC than SoCar there, but I guess they wanted to mingle with their two biggest rivals.

-Charlotte is a nice sized town for an event like this. Not totally crazy and congested like Atlanta, but definitely big enough to host it. I did hear a lot of complaints about the logistics and infrastructure not handling it well, but we drove in Sat afternoon and left Sun afternoon, so we weren't there all weekend.

-Walked around both before and after the game as well as Sun afternoon and never felt unsafe. Again, unlike downtown Atl. But definitely not nearly as much to do as ATL.

-Had no issues getting into the stadium. We were worried about that, but it went pretty smoothly. I think they had thrown their hands up at that point and were just letting fans in to avoid mass chaos.

-Stadium was about as close to 50/50 as it gets. And the game was in their backyard and in a town much more Clempson than UGA (though we have a solid representation there). Our fans are the best travelers around!

-Atmosphere was awesome. Better than most bowl games or on-campus games. Our fans were bonkers by the end of the game due to the D. The stadium was pretty cool for being 20+ years old. It really held the noise in which is nice for an open-air stadium.

-Camarda's first two punts really helped set the tone for the game. The D obviously dominated, but those two nearly perfect kicks helped quite a bit.

-We truly rattled DJU. I don't think he had any idea what he was getting into with our crowd and our D. Was totally shaken. This ain't Pitt or Duke, buddy!

-Loved how our O ran out the final 4+ minutes. That is the killer instinct we need.

-Thought the refs were fine. Clemp may have gotten a couple calls, but nothing major. They definitely protected the WRs, which makes it even more impressive we held them to 3.

-Disapponted in Clemp fans. There was one in the section in front of us by himself who nearly started a brawl. After the game some of their younger fans were still talking smack. Cars/trucks of Clemp fans/students were driving around yelling out of the vehicles at UGA fans. Amateur hour, lol. One said 1980, I said "Orange and purple? Who wears that?" Another kept saying Go Tigers from his car among other things, and I asked which Tigers? LSU? Aub? Mizzou?

Hilariously, none of them knew what to say when someone responded to their barbs. Like their team, not used to competition. Bullies.

I view their fans kind of in between UF and Aub. It's always been one of the most obnoxious we play. Yet they cannot bitch and moan about our fans enough. I have some Clemp friends who are good people, but they get pretty obnoxious and argumentative when Clemp and/or UGA is brought up.

-I have no idea what is going on in upstate SoCar, but get I-85 fixed. dividing the two south/west bound lanes by concrete barriers is one of the most unproductive things I've seen on interstates. What does that do, exactly? One lane was backed up for miles, completely stopped, and drivers couldn't change lanes. It is a very dangerous interstate to drive on and. the local cops sitting out there every few miles didn't exactly help the flow of traffic.

-We've got a long row to hoe, but Clemp can cruise into the ACCCG at 11-1 with a game vs VT or UNC to win. So 12-1 is pretty likely. Hope Kirby's "you're either elite or you're not comment" doesn't come back to be bulletin board material. Kind of early in the season to say something like that.

-Already looking ahead to the UF game. I'm afraid they'll be able to score 2-3 TDs and that may be enough. I was disappointed in our offense. Seems Kirby and Will had their fingerprints all over the gameplan. Hopefully, they'll let JT and Monken do their proverbial thing in the coming weeks.

-Would like a really clean game vs UAB which would tell me we're focused and not losing focus as we have done so many times after a big win here. 34-0 or 41-3 would be perfect. If our competition is truly ourselves, why would we play down to the opponent?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News