ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the L...

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
-First off, that was another great SEC Friday night game. The quality of play in this league is just crazy… just like two weeks ago, tonight came down to a handful of pitches, a handful of at-bats. That Sunday afternoon game that we won at South Carolina? Maybe we stole that one and maybe tonight evened it out.

-I wasn’t all that impressed with Drake Fellows. Put it this way, I was much less impressed with him than he was with his hair. But seriously, his ball just didn’t have a ton of movement on it and it looked very visible coming out of his hand. I guess it had some late movement on it or something (though I didn’t see that), because we didn’t exactly tee off on him. I imagine our hitters were pretty frustrated though because he looked hittable to me. Maybe tonight was an off night for him. Vanderbilt sent some guys down to the bullpen really early, like in the 3rd inning, although obviously Fellows hung around for a bit.

-Vanderbilt could have the best lineup in the county, and I certainly think they have the best one that we’ll see this season. Watching Emerson go head to head with those hitters was fun… I think the fact that Emerson had 8 K’s and only allowed the one run through 7 innings is such a testament to what he is. And I think the fact that Vandy’s hitters made him work so hard is a testament to what they are. Emerson hasn’t gotten pushed like that all season. He responded to it great. Fun to watch that.

-Against Fellows, it seemed like a few times he’d get the first two outs on like four pitches, then we’d start grinding, we’d get a guy or two on base, and make him work hard. It’s funny how that works out. I wish we’d had that two-out mentality all night.

-Tough night for Shane Marshall. I was thinking that he’d done a pretty decent job of blocking the plate… I guess it was a passed ball in the 11th inning, but that didn’t hurt us too much, but other than that he blocked it well. He’ll get better at framing his pitches, and he’ll be a good hitter for us too. Tonight was just a tough night for him. The last two weeks really make you appreciate Mason Meadows and just how many of the little things that he does so well.

-Home plate ump was, well, not very consistent. Both sides had to deal with it. A series like this, I was really surprised that Tyler Simpson was working home plate. I can’t recall a game he’s umped back there… I mean, none stick out to me. I really thought we’d see someone like Darrion Padgett or Craig Mirr, given the series. I have no idea how these assignments get made.

-I can admit that I was wrong on Aaron Schunk. I didn’t think he’d have the same level of success this year that he did last, and he’s proven me wrong. That said, I’m really concerned that we’re going to run him into the ground as much as we are using him. There was really no call to send him back out there for the 11th inning tonight. I know that we’ve got some injuries and are short-handed. I get that. But we’re really overusing Schunk and at some point I have to think it’s going to catch up with us.

-I remember Robert Tyler’s near no-hitter against Alabama in 2016. He had one out to go. Alabama sent Georgie Salem up as a pinch hitter. I told my then girlfriend, now wife, “be careful here. This guy has a ton of ability.” Sure enough he hit it over the scoreboard to break up the no-hit bid. I had the same thought tonight in the 9th watching Julian Infante in the on-deck circle. He’s a very talented hitter, regardless of the stat sheet, and I kept thinking, Watch this guy end up being the hero for them. I was actually a bit relieved with they sent up Walker Grisafi to pinch hit, which shows what I know I guess. As soon as the ball left the bat, you knew it was way out, and you have all those emotions, but one of my thoughts was “with that swing, why in the hell wasn’t that guy in their lineup to begin with?”

-Really hate it for Schunk. He played such a good game tonight, both at the plate and especially at 3B. His last AB, in the 10th inning, after he’d given up the lead… that really said a lot about him, I thought. I mean, I’m sure he was deflated and I’m sure it was tough to refocus. He did his job, though, hit the ball to the right side and moved the runner over.

-I’d like to see us do something different at the leadoff spot. Cam Shepherd isn’t a leadoff hitter. He’s very patient and he goes on base a lot, but I still think he fits better in the two-spot. Maybe flip him and Riley King. I don’t know, maybe it doesn’t make a huge difference, but I’d like to see us try someone else at the top.

-Lastly, man, Chaney Rogers has done a fantastic job defensively at 1B. That has to be one of the biggest surprises of the year… I mean, everything that Riley King has done is always going to top that list, but Rogers play over there has been outstanding.

-Need a big start from CJ Smith tomorrow. It’s going to be tough to win this series with where things are pitching wise, but if CJ can work some innings, we’ll have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News