Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2009
North Augusta, SC
UGA Men’s Basketball

Recruiting

Cassidy Rivals.com: Early Signing Period: Breaking down the SEC

SLEEPER PROSPECT: Dylan James, Georgia

James is a candidate to receive a bump in rankings when the Rivals150 gets a refresh and deservedly so. The Florida-based forward is all of 6-foot-9 and shoots the ball pretty well from beyond the arc.
Defensively, he uses his length to create problems both on the perimeter and in the paint, where he’s capable of protecting the rim. His length and agility allow him to guard multiple positions and seems to be getting a little better when it comes to handling the ball.
The more you see James play, the more it feels as if Georgia may have gotten a steal in the Winter Haven (Fla.) High School star, whose offer list never really reflected his talent. Players with his body type, defensive prowess and shooting ability don’t grow on trees, after all.

𝟰 ⭐️ 𝗚𝗲𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗶𝗮 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗶𝘁 𝗟𝗮𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘆𝗼𝗻 𝗝𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗮𝗻. 𝗢𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴 𝗺𝗮𝗻 "𝗕𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗲𝘁"

Former Dawgs News

UGA Women’s Basketball

Gadogs.com: Balanced Effort Leads Georgia Past Kennesaw State 89-47

Notes & Quotes

Boxscore

SEC Basketball

Alabama
Tuscaloosa News: How Alabama basketball's Jahvon Quinerly made a remarkable early return from ACL tear

Arkansas
Southwest Times Record: Arkansas basketball overpowers South Dakota State with defense, improved 3-point shooting

Mississippi
Zagsblog: Stability Pays Dividends For Ole Miss Commit Jordan Burks

Tennessee
Knoxville News Sentinel: Tennessee basketball clamps Florida Gulf Coast in defensive-led 81-50 win

College Basketball

Early Game today:

Unbeaten teams remaining: 93 (Sorry, Furman).

Rothstein: The Breakfast Buffet: Iowa sends a message, Michigan’s balance, Nebraska/St. John’s

NCAA.com: DI establishes working groups for College Basketball Summer Initiative

NJ.com: Out of prison and living in N.J., Book Richardson is coming for your (very young) hoops star

“After being convicted of bribery and spending time in federal prison Emanuel “Book” Richardson is back in the recruiting game — at a time when getting money into players' pockets is easier with name, image and likeness rules. “It’s now legal," Richardson says, "Who better to do NIL deals than me?”

Arizona State
Arizona Central: Arizona State rallies from 11 down to defeat VCU in NYC Legends Classic

Army
Schenectady Daily Gazette: Hot-shooting Army defeats Siena men’s basketball in overtime 96-94

Cincinnati
Cincinnati Enquirer: Cincinnati Bearcats basketball goes cold, suffers 1st loss of the season at NKU

Furman

Louisville
Louisville Courier Journal: Just how bad is Louisville basketball's 0-3 start? Let's put it in historical context

“When is the last time Louisville basketball started 0-3?
The Cardinals got off to an 0-3 start in 1986-87, coming off the 1986 NCAA championship. Those losses came at the Great Alaska Shootout, where Louisville lost 88-84 to Northeastern, 69-54 to Washington and 74-70 to Texas.
Payne was a sophomore on that Louisville team.

Has Louisville basketball ever started 0-4?
Yes, and Heldman isn’t the only coach to do it. The year prior to his 0-11 start, Louisville lost its first 17 games. That team finished 1-18, its lone win by a point over Berea on Feb. 22, 1940.”

Michigan
Michigan Live: Newcomers shine in blowout win, as Michigan basketball builds depth

Missouri State
Springfield News Leader: How Missouri State basketball came up just short at BYU in thriller

Notre Dame (UGA 2022 Opponent)
IRISH FINISH STRONG IN 82-70 WIN OVER SOUTHERN INDIANA

“SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Make it a 3-0 start to the season for the Notre Dame men’s basketball game, as the Fighting Irish defeated Southern Indiana (1-2) by the score, 82-70. Notre Dame led from start to finish and for the second consecutive game, all five starters finished in double figures.
Trey Wertz poured in 12 points in the second half to finish with a team-high 20 points – topping his game-one performance of 18 points. He has scored in double figures for three straight games for the first time in his Irish career – totaling 55 points to start the year.
Then there’s Nate Laszewski who recorded his third consecutive double-double, posting 18 points and 10 rebounds tonight. Meanwhile, the rest of the Irish starters went as follows: JJ Starling (10 points), Cormac Ryan (13 points) and Dane Goodwin (14 points).
Furthermore, the Irish continue to finish games strong. Notre Dame connected on its last six shots from the field to close out the Youngstown State win in game two. Tonight, they went 11-for-14 down the final stretch.
How It Happened
Notre Dame was feeling it from beyond the arc in the early going, leading 13-5 then 22-11 after a 4-for-9 start from deep. In fact, the four three-pointers came from four different players: Laszewski, Ryan, Goodwin and Wertz.
All-in-all, the Irish fired off a 13-2 run midway through the half while also causing a three-minute USI scoring drought – resulting in a 28-13 lead at the 7:08 media.
Notre Dame ultimately rode its momentum into a 42-25 halftime lead behind a very balanced attack. All five starters, plus sixth man Ven-Allen Lubin, had at least four points. Laszewski was the lone man in double figures at the midway point with 11 points. He was trailed by Ryan and Wertz who each had eight points.
After Laszewski started the second half with a rare and-two on a four-point play, the Irish hit a bit of a cold spell from the floor. As a result, the Screaming Eagles recorded a 13-3 run that cut the deficit to single digits at 51-43.
Next, Ryan and Wertz took over by combining to score the team’s next 16 points to give the home squad some cushion at 67-54 with 6:38 remaining.
Later, it was time for other Irish to step up as Lubin, Goodwin, Starling and Laszewski combined for a 9-2 run, resulting in a 76-58 Irish lead with four minutes to go.
Goodwin connected from deep at 1:38 and that’s all she wrote as the Irish continue their winning ways at Purcell.
Notre Dame shot 47.2 percent (25-53) from the field and connected on nine treys. They continue to get the job done at the free-throw line, converting 23-of-28. Rebounds-wise, it was even at 35-apiece.
Up Next
No rest for the weary, or for the Irish in this instance. Notre Dame will be back in action on Friday night when they host Lipscomb at 7 p.m. ET inside Purcell Pavilion.”

Rutgers
NJ.com: Joining the B1G has produced greater revenue, but most agree: Rutgers athletics likely will never break even. A look at how the Big Ten has impacted Rutgers’ finances.

Seton Hall
NYP: Cold-shooting Seton Hall falls to Iowa in Gavitt Tipoff

Texas

CBS Sports: Gonzaga vs. Texas score, takeaways: No. 11 Longhorns go off, hand No. 2 Zags worst loss since 2014

USC
LA Times: Isaiah Collier, the top basketball recruit in the country, commits to USC

“Collier is destined to be the crown jewel of that group, a 6-foot-4 point guard from Georgia capable of conducting USC’s offense from Day 1. He told ESPN in announcing his commitment that the “family atmosphere” he felt at USC was a deciding factor in his decision to pick the Trojans over Cincinnati, UCLA and Michigan…”

NBA

Denver
Denver Post: Short-handed Nuggets falter late, lose at home to Knicks for first time since 2006

Golden State

Minnesota

History

Charlotte Observer: Exclusive: UNC’s Roy Williams opens up on Jordan, Dean, Duke and why he really retired

Hoops Birthdays 11-17

HOF Elvin Hayes C Houston SD, HOU, BAL, WAS 1968-1984 11-17-1945 77 YOA

“Possessing a devastating turnaround jump shot, Elvin Hayes got the most out his ability during a stellar collegiate and professional career. As a center at the University of Houston, his most memorable moment came on January 20, 1968 when Hayes out-dueled Lew Alcindor and UCLA in front of a capacity crowd of 52,693 at the Houston Astrodome. In the first ever, nationally televised college game in history, Hayes scored 39 points and had 15 rebounds for Houston, ending UCLA's 47-game win streak in what was called "The Game of the Century." Hayes began his pro career in 1968 as the first overall pick in the draft by the San Diego Rockets. His rookie campaign saw Hayes score 28.4 points per game, lead the NBA in scoring, and be named to the All-Rookie Team. As a Baltimore/Washington Bullet, he teamed with Hall of Famer Wes Unseld to form a dominating frontcourt combination that led the Bullets to three NBA Finals and an NBA title over Seattle in 1978. As a three-time All-America, Hayes led Houston to an 81-12 record and two Final Four appearances.”

The Athletic: Elvin Hayes ready for Rockets jersey retirement, reflects on ‘love for Houston’ (Subscription)

“That’s one of the greatest things, events to happen to my career. Playing in that UCLA-Houston game and winning that game, I think it did more for my career than any one game I played. That really set my future and set me up as a player. That took me higher and higher in the NBA. Took me higher to the Hall of Fame. Took me higher to the NBA’s 50 greatest. Took me higher to the 75 greatest, and it just kept on growing. I was looking (one morning), and there I was: I was picked as one of the five starters of the ’70s — one of the best players of the ’70s with John Havlicek, Walt Frazier, Rick Barry and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I think that game really just stimulated everything that happened to me.”

Steve Stipanovich C Missouri IND 1983-1988 11-17-1960 62 YOA

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News