ADVERTISEMENT

Tipping

No

Tipping is supposed to be about rewarding someone providing a level of service or hospitality that's something I could do myself.

Working a window or register isn't it. That's just their job. Food prep and hand off to a customer is part of the job.

Waiting on the customer in the form of cleaning, retrieving things, or moving things for the customer is different and while that's also a job, it is service beyond the exchange of payment and goods.

That said, I do tip at small places where 1 person is running the register and helping with food preparation and delivery.

When I order takeout at a restaurant I usually do curbside and will tip whoever delivers.

Last edited:
I tip whenever possible. My family thinks I used to be part of the mafia. Nope. Just worked as a bartender and server in a restaurant for years while in hs and college. Bad service gets 20 percent. Good gets more. Ten percent for any to go. Whatever I have in cash within reason for tip jars. Varies with luggage and for cart guys. I overtip bartenders. I don’t even know what the percentage is. At least 50 percent if they just don’t completely f up.

After reading this I no longer tip

I'm a conservative person, but this is one area I'll never understand. If you took a job and agreed to an hourly wage, why is it my responsibility as a customer to subsidize your agreed upon wage with a tip? If you feel that your hourly wage isn't enough, then you should be asking your employer for more money. If their business model can't support that, then maybe they need to adjust their model.

Tipping creates this unnecessary awkwardness between the server and customer that need not be there, and the business owner wins, because your frustration ends up being directed at the customer instead of them.

For example:

A: If a service costs me $50, but I'm expected to tip, then the service actually is costing me $65 or so, but there's this gray area created by tipping culture. If I don't tip enough, the server is mad at me, if I tip too much, I may be aggravated about that.

B: the business pays their employees an agreed upon wage and charges $65 for the service with no tips. Now theres no gray area for me to feel guilty about and theres absolutely no awkwardness between customer and server.

The US is the only 1st world country that relies upon tipping for wages and I think its dumb

For the last year or so I have been tipping a lady at the drive thru where I stop every morning for a biscuit! I see her freezing her a$$ off in the winter and hot in the summer! I can tell the lady is not rich and needs everything she can get! Always pleasant and is busting it to keep the line moving! I usually give her a dollar and you can tell when someone really appreciates it! I am blessed that I can afford to show my thanks for a job well done!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT