ADVERTISEMENT

TRD Nightly Nugget .............

Top Row Dawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Down Town Atlanta Georgia
Jan Akkerman (born 24 December 1946) is a Dutch guitarist. He first found international commercial success with the band Focus, whom he co-founded with Thijs van Leer. After leaving Focus, Akkerman continued as a solo artist, adding jazz fusion influences. He has also introduced baroque music into his repertoire.

600full-jan-akkerman.jpg

Akkerman was born near the Waterlooplein, in the center of Amsterdam, the son of a scrap iron trader. At age five he took guitar lessons and his first single was released in 1960, when he was thirteen years old. He was a member of Johnny and his Cellar Rockers, The Hunters (with whom he scored the 1966 Dutch pop hit "Russian Spy and I") and Brainbox (which also garnered several Dutch hit singles, including a cover of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe").

Jan_Akkerman_-_TopPop_1974_09.png

Akkerman performing on Dutch television (AVRO's TopPop) in 1974

Akkerman joined the Thijs van Leer Trio in late 1969 which, as the nascent band Focus was the pit band for the Dutch theatrical production of "Hair" (recorded as an album in 1969). Continuing under the name Focus, the band explored the progressive rock genre (an amalgam of classical, jazz, and rock music in short and extended instrumentals) and scored a few worldwide hits in the seventies (the singles "Hocus Pocus" and "Sylvia" and the certified Gold albums "Moving Waves" and Focus III). In 1973 Akkerman was chosen 'Best Guitarist in The World' by the readers of the UK magazine, Melody Maker. His standing was such that he teamed up with manufacturer Framus to produce one of the first 'signature' guitar models.

focus_london_1973.jpg

Focus

In early 1976 Akkerman left Focus and continued his solo career, and collaborations with other musicians. The concept album "Eli", recorded with Kaz Lux on vocals, won the Dutch Edison Award for best album in 1976.

Profile_%28album%29_by_Jan_Akkerman.jpg
cover_82648112005.jpg

Tonight’s nugget is Fresh Air from the Profile Album

Go to the 2.06 mark to get to action

Bonus songs from Profile Album

Blue Boy

Stick

This is my Don’s Choice CD made from first four albums.

JAN AKKERMAN VOL. 1

1) Fresh Air (a) Must Be My Land (b) Wrestling To Get Out (c) Back Again (d) The Fight (e) Fresh Air (f) Water And Skies Are Telling Me (g) Happy Gabriel 2) Blue Boy 3) Stick
TABERNACKEL
4) Lammy (Excerpt)
ELI
5) Guardian Angel 6) Tranquilizer 7) Can't Fake A Good Time 8) There He Goes Still 9) Fairy Tale
JAN AKKERMAN
10) Crackers 11) Pavane 12) Streetwalker

Jan Akkerman (born 24 December 1946) is a Dutch guitarist. He first found international commercial success with the band Focus, whom he co-founded with Thijs van Leer. After leaving Focus, Akkerman continued as a solo artist, adding jazz fusion influences. He has also introduced baroque music into his repertoire.

600full-jan-akkerman.jpg

Akkerman was born near the Waterlooplein, in the center of Amsterdam, the son of a scrap iron trader. At age five he took guitar lessons and his first single was released in 1960, when he was thirteen years old. He was a member of Johnny and his Cellar Rockers, The Hunters (with whom he scored the 1966 Dutch pop hit "Russian Spy and I") and Brainbox (which also garnered several Dutch hit singles, including a cover of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe").

Jan_Akkerman_-_TopPop_1974_09.png

Akkerman performing on Dutch television (AVRO's TopPop) in 1974

Akkerman joined the Thijs van Leer Trio in late 1969 which, as the nascent band Focus was the pit band for the Dutch theatrical production of "Hair" (recorded as an album in 1969). Continuing under the name Focus, the band explored the progressive rock genre (an amalgam of classical, jazz, and rock music in short and extended instrumentals) and scored a few worldwide hits in the seventies (the singles "Hocus Pocus" and "Sylvia" and the certified Gold albums "Moving Waves" and Focus III). In 1973 Akkerman was chosen 'Best Guitarist in The World' by the readers of the UK magazine, Melody Maker. His standing was such that he teamed up with manufacturer Framus to produce one of the first 'signature' guitar models.

focus_london_1973.jpg

Focus

In early 1976 Akkerman left Focus and continued his solo career, and collaborations with other musicians. The concept album "Eli", recorded with Kaz Lux on vocals, won the Dutch Edison Award for best album in 1976.

Profile_%28album%29_by_Jan_Akkerman.jpg
cover_82648112005.jpg

Tonight’s nugget is Fresh Air from the Profile Album

Go to the 2.06 mark to get to action

Bonus songs from Profile Album

Blue Boy

Stick

This is my Don’s Choice CD made from first four albums.

JAN AKKERMAN VOL. 1

1) Fresh Air (a) Must Be My Land (b) Wrestling To Get Out (c) Back Again (d) The Fight (e) Fresh Air (f) Water And Skies Are Telling Me (g) Happy Gabriel 2) Blue Boy 3) Stick
TABERNACKEL
4) Lammy (Excerpt)
ELI
5) Guardian Angel 6) Tranquilizer 7) Can't Fake A Good Time 8) There He Goes Still 9) Fairy Tale
JAN AKKERMAN
10) Crackers 11) Pavane 12) Streetwalker
You are a DGD ...................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT