ADVERTISEMENT

USA ranks 28th in public education globally

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32608772

Don't worry, the teacher unions and the Public Education Department has this one all figured out. Just give them more money.

Has more to do with absent parents than teachers or the system.

I've complained here and there about the oddities found in some of the standardized testing my son has gone through, but overall the public system here has impressed me. I don't recall being as advanced in critical thinking in my day as they are now. At least in our local system and keep in mind this is in one of the poorest rural counties in the State.

Again, it's absentee parenting that's the biggest problem in schools and society as a whole. Not just fatherless children with single moms (though that's huge) there are just so many parents out there who view themselves as children as well and take little to no time with their children. Kids are raised by Ipads & TV, no manners, no ethics, no responsibility.

Reactions: Dawg to the Bone

I've complained here and there about the oddities found in some of the standardized testing my son has gone through, but overall the public system here has impressed me. I don't recall being as advanced in critical thinking in my day as they are now. At least in our local system and keep in mind this is in one of the poorest rural counties in the State.

Again, it's absentee parenting that's the biggest problem in schools and society as a whole. Not just fatherless children with single moms (though that's huge) there are just so many parents out there who view themselves as children as well and take little to no time with their children. Kids are raised by Ipads & TV, no manners, no ethics, no responsibility.
BS

Don't worry, the teacher unions and the Public Education Department has this one all figured out. Just give them more money.
Obama administration helped end the voucher program in DC since the charter schools were making the teachers union and DC public schools look so bad. Dems made the choice they'd rather have the financial backing of the teachers union. If you never saw the reaction of black parents whose son or daughter got one of those charter school spots it was as if they'd won a million dollar lottery. So much for caring about black kids getting an education, but when Barry is sending his to a private school it matters little. He knows he has their votes and the union money too.

Parents are a big part of it for sure by why can't high school kids even do the basic tasks like making change, fill out a job application correctly or find Chicago on a map? And we don't even need to discuss writing skills which are nonexistent for so many.

I certainly take responsibility for my kids education so what I'm about to say I put on me as much as the education system. Last week, I was driving my 14.5 year old daughter to meet some of her friends for dinner. Let me say that this kid is definitively not a dummy and she has street smarts. First, I asked did she have money?..."yes". Do you know how to tip?......"Don't you leave a dollar or two". I asked her if her bill was $10 and the server provided great service, you might consider leaving a 20% tip. I asked what would the tip be? I was shocked not to hear a very quick response of $2. Well, I didn't get that. I asked her what are they teaching you in school? She said, "well it's not that but if you want to know the slope of a straight line or the degree of an angle I can tell you that".

its all parenting...M your a idiot..come live in my neck of the woods and you will see real quick which kids come from two parent homes and which ones do not..

its all parenting...M your a idiot..come live in my neck of the woods and you will see real quick which kids come from two parent homes and which ones do not..
You can say that if you want, and I'm sure you're right that I'm an idiot, but America is a country of personal responsibility ..... You and others that try to promote a victim mentality and don't want to focus on choices and individual accountability are what's wrong with America these days

lol ..your kinda like those politicians that talk about war but have never experienced it. Tell a 7 year old that he has his or her own choices...dont give me this bull crap about your life being tough while you were growing up either..you succeeded because of your parents and your surroundings..

Reactions: Thenumber34
two grandsons, 11 & 15 , had not been taught cursive and at 10 years old had not been taught
how to multiply. my wife , a former teacher, sat them down and taught them how to sign their name.
she was shocked !

Last edited:
Maybe some more for profit colleges , home education, and profit private schools can fix this. Hah!

lol ..your kinda like those politicians that talk about war but have never experienced it. Tell a 7 year old that he has his or her own choices...dont give me this bull crap about your life being tough while you were growing up either..you succeeded because of your parents and your surroundings..

Walked to school barefooted, in the snow, uphill both ways

How do explain families where one sibling succeeds and the other is a permanent foul up? Same parents, same house , same environment

Those cases are few...just like diamonds in the rough..hate to say it but the problem in the Deep South starts at home...you can yell individualism all you want but everyone's starts of needling some kind of guidance.

Those cases are few...just like diamonds in the rough..hate to say it but the problem in the Deep South starts at home...you can yell individualism all you want but everyone's starts of needling some kind of guidance.
I don't think they're few at all....especially in the south there is a culture of stupid. If you're from the south, chances are you'll end up in poverty

Parents are a big part of it for sure by why can't high school kids even do the basic tasks like making change, fill out a job application correctly or find Chicago on a map? And we don't even need to discuss writing skills which are nonexistent for so many.
Writing skills such as yours?

Plenty of blame to go around. But expecting a school system to provide an alternate and effective reality for a kid of any age is beyond logic. Parents should be accountable to and for their kids at least until they're 18. Reality tells us that at 12, skills of reasoning and ability to make sound choices from exposure to TV if nothing else are in full flower. "Diamonds in the rough" make nice news stories, but lots of us succeed reasonably well in life without being diamond status. Mental illness or physical disability are excusable, and should be managed differently by the state. Expecting a school system to provide nurturing and helicopter parenting levels of blind support until we're all well into our 30's is more pathetic than laughable. And no one wants to discuss why immigrants with language and cultural barriers from day one can compete effectively in the classroom as well as within "the system" (reality check) we have. There are answers to our education woes, but we need to get off the blame bus and realize that schooling is an opportunity not a daycare sleepover and 24-7 cafeteria for everyone aged 5-30. There's another word for that level of incarceration..........you know?

Look at the countries on the list in front of the USA. Do any of those countries have even half the population of the US? Are any of those countries remotely as diverse and multiethnic as the US? Our country has many challenges when it comes to education that almost all of those countries do not have. Do I wish the USA was in the top ten?...sure...Is it realistic when you compare those countries in ways that have anything to do with schools? no it isn't

Look at the countries on the list in front of the USA. Do any of those countries have even half the population of the US? Are any of those countries remotely as diverse and multiethnic as the US? Our country has many challenges when it comes to education that almost all of those countries do not have. Do I wish the USA was in the top ten?...sure...Is it realistic when you compare those countries in ways that have anything to do with schools? no it isn't
Not to mention GDP

The USA has been ethnically and culturally diverse for almost two hundred years and as recently as the late 1970's, that same USA's public school system's product, its graduates, were ranked # 1 among all other countries around the globe. We do remain champion and eternally # 1 in excuse making for our poorly prepared students and the parents who produce them and refuse to demand excellence from them. Add to that the incredible leniency on excellence in the classroom allowed by, seemingly encouraged by our top heavy, politically motivated Department of Education. The computer industry understands the ugly simplicity of our growing failures. "Crap in, crap out."

Last edited:
My wife was a teacher. Sometimes you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Times have changed.

It is surely not the classroom teacher's fault. Most of them go above and beyond. I was one. However, their "representative" unions are much more concerned with their political relevance than with the teachers or their students. Just sit in on some of their national meetings. They do not pretend to hide that FACT. It is all about power and prestige and political clout aka relevance. More money, adjusted for exchange rates and cost of living variable, is spent on U.S. students than by any other industrialized/economically viable country on this planet. News flash: More money does NOT produce better students. That has been proven over and over and over, yet we are conditioned to believe that if more money is made available to build bigger and more beautiful schools with state of the art athletic facilities and cafeterias with fast food kiosks, that the kids will be motivated to take their class work more seriously and achieve better results. Don't hold your breath. And let us consider especially the over-sized County level and State level and National level administration edifices built evidently to glorify the ego's of that upper management and as well as the teacher unions' self serving bosses and their addiction to political clout, because all that size and power does NOTHING to help the teachers improve the quality of the product (graduates) coming out of those very classrooms.......NOTHING.

There's no reason not to feel bad for the teachers and the students. Who really represents them for their own good? Whomever claims that mantle would also have to admit that he is doing a very poor job.

Last edited:
It is surely not the classroom teacher's fault. Most of them go above and beyond. I was one. However, their "representative" unions are much more concerned with their political relevance than with the teachers or their students. Just sit in on some of their national meetings. They do not pretend to hide that FACT. It is all about power and prestige and political clout aka relevance. More money, adjusted for exchange rates and cost of living variable, is spent on U.S. students than by any other industrialized/economically viable country on this planet. News flash: More money does NOT produce better students. That has been proven over and over and over, yet we are conditioned to believe that if more money is made available to build bigger and more beautiful schools with state of the art athletic facilities and cafeterias with fast food kiosks, that the kids will be motivated to take their class work more seriously and achieve better results. Don't hold your breath. And let us consider especially the over-sized County level and State level and National level administration edifices built evidently to glorify the ego's of that upper management and as well as the teacher unions' self serving bosses and their addiction to political clout, because all that size and power does NOTHING to help the teachers improve the quality of the product (graduates) coming out of those very classrooms.......NOTHING.

There's no reason not to feel bad for the teachers and the students. Who really represents them for their own good? Whomever claims that mantle would also have to admit that he is doing a very poor job.
Utter hogwash

I certainly take responsibility for my kids education so what I'm about to say I put on me as much as the education system. Last week, I was driving my 14.5 year old daughter to meet some of her friends for dinner. Let me say that this kid is definitively not a dummy and she has street smarts. First, I asked did she have money?..."yes". Do you know how to tip?......"Don't you leave a dollar or two". I asked her if her bill was $10 and the server provided great service, you might consider leaving a 20% tip. I asked what would the tip be? I was shocked not to hear a very quick response of $2. Well, I didn't get that. I asked her what are they teaching you in school? She said, "well it's not that but if you want to know the slope of a straight line or the degree of an angle I can tell you that".
When I was in grade school, we had multiplication tables, fractions, long division, etc. drummed into us by our teachers, and then the same thing when we got home. In English, we were taught proper grammer, how to diagram a sentence, vocabulary, you name it. What the hell are these kids taught now? I tell you one thing today's business school graduates are good at: "team building exercises". You want a good "team building exercise"? Do your job and you get paid on Friday! Now, don't you feel like a member of the team?

Before you start tearing down the public school system in the U.S. understand this, when it comes to standardized testing in the U.S. ALL kids test and are included in the results you read about, (special ed kids). In most foreign countries by the time a student reached high school it has been determined in which direction they will go. Those that show an inability to learn or are unwilling to put in the effort are put in "labor studies", if you are not one of the top students, then you don't test and the statistics become skewed. Here in the U.S. everyone gets a trophy you know...

Reactions: ''M''
Before you start tearing down the public school system in the U.S. understand this, when it comes to standardized testing in the U.S. ALL kids test and are included in the results you read about, (special ed kids). In most foreign countries by the time a student reached high school it has been determined in which direction they will go. Those that show an inability to learn or are unwilling to put in the effort are put in "labor studies", if you are not one of the top students, then you don't test and the statistics become skewed. Here in the U.S. everyone gets a trophy you know...

Appreciate your revealing our skewed results, but all of it points to a "system" that is broken and has been broken for decades. At the very least it has not kept pace with the point of education's results on the global scale. Maybe as you point out, a trophy for everyone and a plaque for their parents regardless of achievement or proper placement is a bigger part of the problem than politics.

Appreciate your revealing our skewed results, but all of it points to a "system" that is broken and has been broken for decades. At the very least it has not kept pace with the point of education's results on the global scale. Maybe as you point out, a trophy for everyone and a plaque for their parents regardless of achievement or proper placement is a bigger part of the problem than politics.
I'd think if all those other countries you hold in such higher esteem than your own, actually measured ALL their population you'd see the real deal

I'd think if all those other countries you hold in such higher esteem than your own, actually measured ALL their population you'd see the real deal
Holding others in high esteem in no way compares to our system's priority of building students' self esteem over their academic achievement as neither seems to be working. Not about team loyalty. Just want to see practical learning become more of a concern than it has been for over 40 years

Holding others in high esteem in no way compares to our system's priority of building students' self esteem over their academic achievement as neither seems to be working. Not about team loyalty. Just want to see practical learning become more of a concern than it has been for 40 years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT