Wednesday Hoops News and Notes

WRDefenderDog

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2009
North Augusta, SC
UGA Men’s Basketball

Gadogs.com: SEC Announces 2022-23 Basketball Matchups

Hill 247 Sports: Georgia men’s basketball: Mike White goes in depth about getting started

UGA Women’s Basketball.

Towers AJC: Abrahamson-Henderson wants Georgia women’s basketball back in title hunt(Might be subscription-only for some)

“My perspective is different than a lot of coaches,” she said. “When I was at Albany, we had to win the whole thing in order to get in. That’s pressure. … Same thing at UCF. We might get two teams in. It was about conference championships. In the SEC, you might be getting seven, eight, nine teams in. So my mentality is a little different.
“It’ll never be, ‘OK, let’s just go be No. 8!’”

“We’re looking for toughness, you know,” Abrahamson-Henderson said. “Tough, competitive, hustle, diving on loose balls, those are the kids we’re looking for. We’re just putting the puzzle together. There has been a lot of assessing of situations for a long time. Now we have to go play.”

College Basketball

He has UGA at 17 in his incoming transfer class rankings:

Dayton
Dayton Daily News: One year into NIL era, Dayton basketball players making most of new opportunities

“Five of Dayton’s 12 scholarship athletes can’t take advantage of their NIL rights because of rules regarding student visas. Toumani Camara (Belgium), Kobe Elvis (Canada), Mustapha Amzil (Finland), Richard Amaefule (England) and Mike Sharavjamts (Mongolia) are all international students. They can profit off their name, image and likeness when they are in their home countries.

Camara has not been home in the last year and doesn’t plan to return home this summer.
“It’s frustrating, but I don’t really mind it because we’re seeing much how much stuff (his teammates) have to do,” he said. “They need to go to different places and sign contracts. I feel like it could be a distraction for a lot of people. Of course, it’d be nice to have more money, but it’s not something I need right now. So I’m not really complaining.”

Eastern Michigan

Last remaining big portal name…destination is a surprise

NBA

DENVER

Denver Post: Nuggets had been targeting KCP since the trade deadline. They view him as a two-way upgrade with championship experience.

ESPN: Denver will be the 13th NBA team that Ish Smith plays for, setting the record for most teams by one player in NBA history.

New York Nets
NYP: Nets’ big roster questions surround three key players

“Claxton is potentially a restricted free agent, so the Nets can match any offer for him. But despite the fact they discussed a deal for a first-round pick with Toronto at the trade deadline, and the Houston Chronicle wrote they’re “unlikely to match a mid-level offer” — presumably the full $10 million mid-level exception (MLE) — sources have told The Post the Nets value the 23-year-old center’s switchability and want to keep him.
On Tuesday morning, ESPN reported that league executives expect Claxton to return to Brooklyn, and that he and the Nets have “an understanding.” They have until Thursday to ink him to an extension for up to four years, $55.6 million to keep him from entering restricted free agency…”

USA Today: Kyrie Irving has opted in with Nets, but situation in Brooklyn is far from resolved

New York Knicks

History

TSN: North Carolina star Larry Miller at last will get his due in College Basketball hall of fame

“In 1968, Miller was consensus first-team on what many consider to be the greatest All-America team of all time, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pete Maravich, Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes. The other four are all in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Now, Miller, 76, will enter the College Basketball hall later than was necessary, but not too late.”

Hoops Birthdays 6-29

Joe Johnson SG Arkansas PHO ATL BRK MIA UT BOS 2001-2022 6-29-1981 41 YOA

Kawhi Leonard SF SD State SA LAC 2011-present 6-29-1991 31 YOA

Gene Littles PG High Point CAR KEN 1969-1975 born 6-29-1943 died 9-09-2021

Michael Porter SF Missouri DEN 2018-present 6-29-1998 24 YOA

Bob Rule C Colorado State SEA 1967-1975 born 6-29-1944 died 9-05-2019

Last edited:
Reactions: BuschDawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series