ADVERTISEMENT

What do you make of the June 27 date / CNN Presidential Debate??

DawgWCK

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2001
Without slamming either candidate, what do you make of Biden / Trump moving up the calendar and doing @ 6/27/24 debate on CNN?

I guess both compromised, Trump got the early date and Biden got the network. Suspect there will be some real back and forth on the moderator. I'm a little surprised Biden is debating but suspect the poles had something to do with it.

Any insight ?

With early voting being popular these days, moving it up make sense. They have both been presumptive nominees for months so no issue there for me. An early debate doesn't really change anything.

I'm looking forward to actually hearing some legitimate back and forth.

I would like to hear both positions on a litany of issues.

Having it in a confined space is good to keep them on topic and not playing the crowd.

Both should have their mics cut off while the other is speaking and think that's one of the rules Biden wanted. It's not a debate if the other is yelling over what you are saying.

Looks like abc got 09/10 for the second debate.

I think they were hoping Trump would publicly object to CNN or some other Biden friendly restriction. He called their bluff.

If Biden was up in the polls he wouldn’t be debating. He has to try something.

Actually think the cutting off of microphones helps Trump and keeps him from hurting himself.

For God’s sake Trump handlers all you have to do is keep him on the damned leash. Have some discipline and tell him to let Biden talk.

With early voting being popular these days, moving it up make sense. They have both been presumptive nominees for months so no issue there for me. An early debate doesn't really change anything.

Having it in a confined space is good to keep them on topic and not playing the crowd.

Both should have their mics cut off while the other is speaking and think that's one of the rules Biden wanted. It's not a debate if the other is yelling over what you are saying.

I concur, mics should be cut so each contender can fully answer and not get talked over. Trump SHOULD be playing to the moderates and women votes and keep decorum. Biden should be trying to prove he can stand up for 2 hours and answer questions without a teleprompter.

I'm skeptical either will perform as they should........

I think they were hoping Trump would publicly object to CNN or some other Biden friendly restriction. He called their bluff.

Actually think the cutting off of microphones helps Trump and keeps him from hurting himself.

For God’s sake Trump handlers all you have to do is keep him on the damned leash. Have some discipline and tell him to let Biden talk.
100% correct,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
Trump will be debating ole Joe secondarily and the moderator firstly. The mod will get in more dim talking points than Joe 4sure.
I thought that Wallace (then at Fox) who moderated the 2020 debate really helped Biden during and after the debate.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Without slamming either candidate, what do you make of Biden / Trump moving up the calendar and doing @ 6/27/24 debate on CNN?

I guess both compromised, Trump got the early date and Biden got the network. Suspect there will be some real back and forth on the moderator. I'm a little surprised Biden is debating but suspect the poles had something to do with it.

Any insight ?
I hate debates because there is nothing to debate if you want socicalism vote one way if don't vote the other way.

I’ve wondered why all mics are not cut off when it’s not your turn to speak. Makes sense to me for all kinds of debates.

Any insight ?
Interesting that it's on CNN. It'll be Biden's last stand. Ds are going to replace him at or just before the convention.

Any insight ?
June then again sometime in November, right??

My first thought was what in the wide world of sports was Uncle Joe gonna do from June to November……sleep.

One thing is 4 sure…..Biden will be juiced up AGAIN.

A popular opinion is that Biden wants to have an early debate before the convention. If he bombs he can bow out.
The way I heard it is that it’s a job interview for Joe. If he messes the bed, the Dems will oust him at their Convention.
Someone above said it is Joe’s decision. It’s not. It’s Jill’s decision and she’s not ready to give up the power yet.
Personally, I don’t think it will ever happen. I think Joe et al will place so many onerous restrictions on Trump that he will call BS. Instead of negotiating, I think Joe will throw up his hands and say Trump wouldn’t agree to anything so there can be no debate. ABC will back Joe up and it will all be Trump’s fault. Just my opinion.

I think Biden will be drugged to the max. His gaslighting, about his accomplishments, and Trumps failures will know no bounds. "I've done more about EVERYTHING, than any President in the History of the US. And he hasn't ever done an honorable thing in his life".

If I'm in charge of the Trump campaign.....I'm begging him...BEGGING HIM....not to take the bait, and act like a 3rd grader Don't try to shout over Biden. Don't insult. Be serious. Be accurate. Be aggressive. But be civil. Show the nation that you are the better leader.

Agree. If Trump simply acts like a polite statesman, he'll win over some suburban women and will literally run away with it.
See this is what pisses me off about Trump. All he has to do is say, “Are you better off now than 4 years ago?” And, “I’m not Joe Biden”.
It ain’t rocket science but he just can’t help himself.

The way I heard it is that it’s a job interview for Joe. If he messes the bed, the Dems will oust him at their Convention.
Someone above said it is Joe’s decision. It’s not. It’s Jill’s decision and she’s not ready to give up the power yet.
Personally, I don’t think it will ever happen. I think Joe et al will place so many onerous restrictions on Trump that he will call BS. Instead of negotiating, I think Joe will throw up his hands and say Trump wouldn’t agree to anything so there can be no debate. ABC will back Joe up and it will all be Trump’s fault. Just my opinion.
Could be more mystery/builup since “Who shot JR”. One thing is for sure, the networks win.

Certainly think that COULD BE a possible but my take is he is moving up the debate BEFORE the convention so they are less likely to oust him. You can't oust your parties candidate after he or she is debated. Again, this is a theory, certainly not a fact.

Any insight ?
It might have been the Irish, but not the poles.

Without comment, they should be asked a series of yes or no questions first:

1. Is abortion a state or federal government issue?
2. In your opinion as a human being, husband and father, should abortions be allowed up to birth of child?
3. Are there just two sexes, male and female?
4. Is there biological differences in male and female?
5. Should biological males be allowed to participate in female sports?
6. Are the differences permanently physical?
7. Should immigrants be allowed in our country without being vetted?
8. Should someone entering the country illegally be arrested and deported?
9. Should we complete the border wall?
10. Should all energy sources at our disposal be used to bring costs down for US citizens?
11. Should energy changes be allowed to happen naturally instead of forced by the Fed?
12. Should any elected official be allowed to profit from his or her position beyond the salary and benefits provided by the government?
13. Should taxes be lowered for every citizen?

Then you can allow them discussion, but cannot speak about their opponent, only about themselves and what they do.

I think Biden will be drugged to the max. His gaslighting, about his accomplishments, and Trumps failures will know no bounds. "I've done more about EVERYTHING, than any President in the History of the US. And he hasn't ever done an honorable thing in his life".

If I'm in charge of the Trump campaign.....I'm begging him...BEGGING HIM....not to take the bait, and act like a 3rd grader Don't try to shout over Biden. Don't insult. Be serious. Be accurate. Be aggressive. But be civil. Show the nation that you are the better leader.
He can't do it, but I agree he should.

Any insight ?
I’ll make a prediction that y’all are free to bookmark and throw back in my face if I’m wrong.

The debates will never happen and it will be because Trump will find a reason to bow out.

I’m not certain about this but I definitely believe that this is the more likely outcome.

• Haha
Reactions: DerkDawg1027
I’ll make a prediction that y’all are free to bookmark and throw back in my face if I’m wrong.

The debates will never happen and it will be because Trump will find a reason to bow out.

I’m not certain about this but I definitely believe that this is the more likely outcome.
Not sure I agree with you that Trump will be looking for a way to bow out but could certainly see a blowup related to the proposed moderator and Trump skipping it.

I’ll say this though, if he gets acquitted or it’s a hung jury there would be NO reason to debate but suspect he does anyway

Not in either one of their personalities to bow out. They will have at least one.

Reactions: willdup
Trump is playing it the right way. Give him everything he wants. Everything. Ask for more debates. Agree to everything. Truth is if they are truly one sided moderators he should be able to play it such that anyone watching will see the same shit they see with all these court cases.

Get him on that stage. Do not fall into the trap of giving him an excuse to not do it.

This will be a scam just like everything else the democRATs are involved in.
Joe will have the questions in advance and will be allowed to read off a teleprompter. It would not surprise me if the program was recorded in advance and edited before the public sees it.
There will be no "debate". Joe couldn't "debate" anyone.
Every one of you knows that's true.
Biden will have to snort a half ounce of ritalin to even stand up that long without falling or going to sleep.

I actually agree with you here. I could absolutely see it. Only possible way Biden wins if he can look coherent. Can they drug him enough to prop him up. And with the rules so strict, I think it all works in Biden’s favor. If he doesn’t get flustered or off script he is below average but coherent. When he gets flustered and especially with numbers, he is an unmitigated trainwreck. He can’t remember numbers off the cuff. Trump should ask him to recite the employment and inflation numbers. The debt. No way he gets them right.

Trump is ahead. Why give Biden a chance to catch up while drugged? If Biden was clearly ahead, he wouldn’t debate ever. Nor should he.

I do think Trump shows up. He is too arrogant and cocky not to. He will not back down no matter what his advisors tell him imo. But I get your point.

The debates are early to see if the Dems need to enable the replace Biden plan and get a likeable candidate in at the last minute.

Thank god for zoom. That way the debate can happen. Otherwise it would be hard for trump to debate from his jail cell.

Reactions: Chopdawg75
Did yall see the pundit who suggested Trump wasn't confident in his position, because he accepted the debates?

Are you serious?

In what world does accepting a challenge imply a lack of confidence?

Only a member of the liberal media could say that with a straight face.

Expectations are so low for Biden that if he shows up and can talk in complete sentences the media will call it a win for him. Just like the state of the union address. HIs campaign likely to have written out on pieces of paper in front of him the answers to questions he is likely to get, and depending who is asking the questions, not beneath certain members of the media to give Biden campaign questions in advance. And they will tell him if he gets a screwball questions, to evade and redirect to one of the answers on a piece of paper. Then he just has to read. Which is easier said than done, but that is the bar we are talking about.

Did yall see the pundit who suggested Trump wasn't confident in his position, because he accepted the debates?

Are you serious?

In what world does accepting a challenge imply a lack of confidence?

Only a member of the liberal media could say that with a straight face.
I think team trump realizes that accepting the other team’s friendly venues and moderators, it benefits them.

First it lowers the expectations for the “visiting team” and raises them for the team who demanded debates on their terms.

If the clearly liberal moderators are unfair, it will be obvious. And it plays directly into the narrative that even independents have come around to……warranted or not, the cards are stacked against Trump in media, courts, etc, etc. If Trump can avoid taking the bait and simply asks for fairness at the beginning of the debate and calls out calmly when things are unfair, he comes out ahead in this scenario. He can think on his feet and call out bullshif when he sees if.

Most importantly, I think history has shown moderators tend to try and over correct for perceived biases. Last time chris Wallace definitely made sure he was tough on trump and the more liberal moderator was actually called out as very fair by trump himself.

Sounds like you don't trust Trump iin a debate. If you don't trust him in a debate, how can you trust him to run this country? If I were you, I would be more concerned about him staying awake. That has been a problem during the day.

Reactions: willdup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT