ADVERTISEMENT

What is a Democrat in 2021?

Jefferson_GA20

“Screw it, we got two rings man”
Sep 18, 2019
serious question. Could pose same for pubs. For those of you who are blue through and through what does your party stand for.

I can only say what I believe in, but I think it lines up pretty well with the Democratic platform, writ large (and pending a new approach to its own, recent corporatist impulses):

1 ) good governance
2 ) sustainability through science
3 ) a strong
4 ) but compassionate United States
5 ) that is participant in the global community
6 ) driven by creativity in solving our common problems
7 ) and guided by faith in the future (as opposed to focus on the past).

I believe all of these things contrast with the current brand of Republican corporatist / fundamentalist / apocalyptic fatalism.

Of note, I believe that we must overturn Citizens United if we are to... unite.. citizens... in this country. Money in politics has destroyed us.

serious question. Could pose same for pubs. For those of you who are blue through and through what does your party stand for.
Being blindly loyal to ANY party is very dangerous. I’ve voted both ways before and prolly will in the future. Most Pubs - just like most Dems - are mainly centrist ex certain isolated points of view. Many Dems are former Pubs turned off by all the right wing extremist preaching by a totally failed Lying Donnie and his enablers. The pendulum swings.

This my partial list subject to change:
Solutions to healthcare availability and costs.
Maintain a strong Defense.
Woman’s right to make their own choices for their bodies.
FAIR taxes for individuals and corp’s meaning those who earn more pay more. Eliminate the ability of successful corps to pay no taxes.
More aggressive anti-trust enforcement to break up oligopoly strategies.
Protect the environment
Compassionate bi-partisan immigration law
Full background check for all firearm sales. Eliminate high capacity magazines. Outlaw weapons that can be converted to full auto.

Last edited:
Affordable Healthcare

Compassionate Immigration Policies

Science-based Solutions to Climate Change

Tax Policies That Benefit the Poor and Middle Class

Criminal Justice Reform

Police Reform

Free 2-Year College or Trade Schools for all Americans.

Proper Governance.

Let’s be real and honest we have been working globally. Dems would just perfer we bow to the Chinese and not out our children’s future first.

Also the thing Nice posted above were so vague you could have put them on trump or any other candidate running for office .

Affordable Healthcare

Compassionate Immigration Policies

Science-based Solutions to Climate Change

Tax Policies That Benefit the Poor and Middle Class

Criminal Justice Reform

Police Reform

Free 2-Year College or Trade Schools for all Americans.

Proper Governance.
Your post is great comic relief.

1. Affordable Heathcare LOL ever hear this one. We gonna save errrry body 2k a yr and you can keep your dr

2. Compassionate Immigration Policies - give me a break,,, open borders is not "compassionate"

3. Science based Solutions to Climate Change - first there would need to be some science showing the weather can be changed by man... all they do is models into which they put bad data. It is not science. They scared me when I was a kid. The scientists said another ice age was coming. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go outside and play. Demrats are so gullible.

4. Tax policies- LOL,,, oh you will get your tax policy gonna do away with Trumps that helped everyone and TAX HECK out of errrry body. Job/economy killing taxes and regulation at your request.

5. Criminal Justice reform... yes dementia Joe is famous for this,,,

6. Police reform... yes dems defund the police

7. free stuff for errry body paid for by those that work

8. Proper governance yes,,, dem controlled states and cities are run so well. All is peace and love and everyone is prosperous and most of all no violence.

Let’s be real and honest we have been working globally. Dems would just perfer we bow to the Chinese and not out our children’s future first.

Also the thing Nice posted above were so vague you could have put them on trump or any other candidate running for office .
Both party's spends like a drunk sailor. Trumps deficits where more than Obama's and that was BEFORE the pandemic! Both sides love spending others people's money.

Being blindly loyal to ANY party is very dangerous. I’ve voted both ways before and prolly will in the future. Most Pubs - just like most Dems - are mainly centrist ex certain isolated points of view. Many Dems are former Pubs turned off by all the right wing extremist preaching by a totally failed Lying Donnie and his enablers. The pendulum swings.

This my partial list subject to change:
Solutions to healthcare availability and costs.
Maintain a strong Defense.
Woman’s right to make their own choices for their bodies.
FAIR taxes for individuals and corp’s meaning those who earn more pay more. Eliminate the ability of successful corps to pay no taxes.
More aggressive anti-trust enforcement to break up oligopoly strategies.
Protect the environment
Compassionate bi-partisan immigration law
Full background check for all firearm sales. Eliminate high capacity magazines. Outlaw weapons that can be converted to full auto.

I agree on more sophisticated background checks with even a waiting period. A glock can be converted to automatic and we can't outlaw them. If a terrorist wants an automatic gun, he will find one whether they are outlawed or not. I may be out of the loop but I'm not hearing of crime and murder coming from automatic weapons in the USA though. Millions of high capacity magazines are ghosted in circulation. Maybe they can stop future sales but that one is going to be hard to enforce.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadduckdawg
1. Affordable Heathcare LOL ever hear this one. We gonna save errrry body 2k a yr and you can keep your dr

You can be as snide as you want, I suppose, but it's worth noting that the GOP sabotaged our one attempt at getting healthcare costs under control as a nation - which we STILL have to do - and are every bit complicit in the bad sausage that was the ACA.

Also worth noting - the Trump administration and the Republicans in congress NEVER PROPOSED AN ALTERNATIVE!

Last edited:
To my fellow chatters who want to relax immigration. It is s slippery slope. Please watch this and share your thoughts.

While I won't disagree we have to figure out healthcare, I can't for the life of me figure out how we are supposed to figure out health care for us and the millions of immigrants that many are wanting to let in.

Reactions: WGrovedawg
To my fellow chatters who want to relax immigration. It is s slippery slope. Please watch this and share your thoughts.

While I won't disagree we have to figure out healthcare, I can't for the life of me figure out how we are supposed to figure out health care for us and the millions of immigrants that many are wanting to let in.
Please understand, not one Democrat I know, nor anyone I know, wants open borders like lying Donnie and the right wingers say. Not one. But we can have a humane, compassionate approach and try to make it better.

Can you expand on this? I'm curious as to what aspects of Republican views on immigration you agree with.
Sure:

1) Separating children from their parents. I mean really?
2) Failure to maintain accurate records of family separations and failing to reunite families?
3) Walls, for the most part, have never stopped anyone as history has proven so over millennia.
4) Each case of asylum is unique and deserves to be heard by an immigration judge.
5) There is a visa processing mechanism. Use it.
6) Excluding folks based purely upon religion is flat wrong.
7) Provide a clear path to citizenship for everyone entering.
8) Assist Latin America solve their gigantic gang problems.
9) Time to end auto citizenship merely for birth on American soil.
10) Immigrants convicted of serious crime should be jailed and deported.
11) There are massive issues in Mexico that must be addressed. An entirely different conversation but sooner or later either the US or Mexico is gonna have to eliminate the drug cartels by any means necessary.
12) I do not advocate open borders.

This isn't a comprehensive list and I'm certain there are no easy solutions. There are good ideas on both sides of the aisle and it's past time to address the problems. This can has been kicked down the road long enough and something should finally be done as immigration is not going to stop.

Last edited:
Please understand, not one Democrat I know, nor anyone I know, wants open borders like lying Donnie and the right wingers say. Not one. But we can have a humane, compassionate approach and try to make it better.

Please define compassionate approach. I just don't see how we can let the southern border be a flood gate and create affordable healthcare at same time. Immigration control and affordable healthcare are directly related.

I am compassionate about my fellow Americans (liberal and conservatives) and do not see a scenario where lax immigration control and affordable healthcare go hand in hand.

Your post is great comic relief.

2. Compassionate Immigration Policies - give me a break,,, open borders is not "compassionate"

3. Science based Solutions to Climate Change - first there would need to be some science showing the weather can be changed by man... all they do is models into which they put bad data. It is not science. They scared me when I was a kid. The scientists said another ice age was coming. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go outside and play. Demrats are so gullible.

4. Tax policies- LOL,,, oh you will get your tax policy gonna do away with Trumps that helped everyone and TAX HECK out of errrry body. Job/economy killing taxes and regulation at your request.

5. Criminal Justice reform... yes dementia Joe is famous for this,,,

6. Police reform... yes dems defund the police

7. free stuff for errry body paid for by those that work

8. Proper governance yes,,, dem controlled states and cities are run so well. All is peace and love and everyone is prosperous and most of all no violence.
Not gonna waste my time disproving each of your total misstatements but No. 1 is worthy of a retort. EVERY SINGLE President --- Republican and Democrat --- since Teddy Roosevelt has advocated for "healthcare for everyone". The HMO model was REPUBLICAN Nixon's attempt. Lying Donnie and his Pub backers promised something "grand and better" but have offered nothing instead. They have protected big pharma and the insurance companies who contribute millions to their campaigns instead. One day someone very close to you will need medical care and won't be able to afford it. Only then will you truly understand the needs of others who , through no fault of their own, face a system that won't help them. Or maybe you're just plain selfish.

That said, nothing would ever be solved nor would our lives ever improve if folks adopted your close minded, "my beliefs or no beliefs", mentality, or attitude. Just because we get something wrong the first time, doesn't mean you give up or bury you head in the sand. that's what cowards do. Instead, you learn, figure out how to make it better, and try again.

Why don't you please tell us how you would address and solve each of the points in your post.

Lying Donnie and his Pub backers promised something "grand and better" but have offered nothing instead.

One of the things people don't seem to understand is that the healthcare system before the ACA was anti-entrepreneurial by design. Employer-based coverage had its moment, but that is long past - a burden on companies and a barrier to artists, musicians, restauranteurs, small business owners and entrepreneurs of all stripes. The ACA meant that they could get coverage, vs. being denied for pretty much any reason and/or being forced to accept waivers that basically invalidated coverage for the very chronic conditions that they might need to see a doctor about!

One of the things people don't seem to understand is that the healthcare system before the ACA was anti-entrepreneurial by design. Employer-based coverage had its moment, but that is long past - a burden on companies and a barrier to artists, musicians, restauranteurs, small business owners and entrepreneurs of all stripes. The ACA meant that they could get coverage, vs. being denied for pretty much any reason and/or being forced to accept waivers that basically invalidated coverage for the very chronic conditions that they might need to see a doctor about!
Now you know some here don't want all the facts. Just the ones that prove their point.

Correct. Also, insurance companies utilize employment coverage as a proxy for denying preexisting conditions as they know employers will not hire anyone who needs healthcare. That in turn allows insurance carriers to offer discounted premiums to employers but it also encourages employers to rid themselves of older or higher health risk employees. One can easily be imprisoned in their job just to have healthcare access before age 65. If you leave or are laid off you're rated by insurance companies and you can't afford the coverage just on your age alone. You are trapped till you become Medicare eligible. It's a wicked web.

You must not know many young Democrat voters then, because I know plenty that do. And I'd love to hear your solution for a "humane, compassionate approach", because those are just pretty words that everyone agrees with in principle. Most immigration "solutions" from the Dems actually hurt their most important voter bloc the most -- Black Americans.

Sure:

1) Separating children from their parents. I mean really?
2) Failure to maintain accurate records of family separations and failing to reunite families?
3) Walls, for the most part, have never stopped anyone as history has proven so over millennia.
4) Each case of asylum is unique and deserves to be heard by an immigration judge.
5) There is a visa processing mechanism. Use it.
6) Excluding folks based purely upon religion is flat wrong.
7) Provide a clear path to citizenship for everyone entering.
8) Assist Latin America solve their gigantic gang problems.
9) Time to end auto citizenship merely for birth on American soil.
10) Immigrants convicted of serious crime should be jailed and deported.
11) There are massive issues in Mexico that must be addressed. An entirely different conversation but sooner or later either the US or Mexico is gonna have to eliminate the drug cartels by any means necessary.
12) I do not advocate open borders.

This isn't a comprehensive list and I'm certain there are no easy solutions. There are good ideas on both sides of the aisle and it's past time to address the problems. This can has been kicked down the road long enough and something should finally be done as immigration is not going to stop.
Although I don’t agree with everything, Your position is much more rational than what I hear coming from your leaders.

Reactions: celticdawg
I can only say what I believe in, but I think it lines up pretty well with the Democratic platform, writ large (and pending a new approach to its own, recent corporatist impulses):

1 ) good governance
2 ) sustainability through science
3 ) a strong
4 ) but compassionate United States
5 ) that is participant in the global community
6 ) driven by creativity in solving our common problems
7 ) and guided by faith in the future (as opposed to focus on the past).

I believe all of these things contrast with the current brand of Republican corporatist / fundamentalist / apocalyptic fatalism.

Of note, I believe that we must overturn Citizens United if we are to... unite.. citizens... in this country. Money in politics has destroyed us.
Childs right to choice of gender needs to be fairly high on your list. Biden has made it clear this crazy gender nonsense is a priority

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg
Although I don’t agree with everything, Your position is much more rational than what I hear coming from your leaders.
It’s never gonna be perfect in extreme Left or Right views no matter what. Reaching compromise was the Founders guiding principal. Somewhere in the middle is fine.

You must not know many young Democrat voters then, because I know plenty that do. And I'd love to hear your solution for a "humane, compassionate approach", because those are just pretty words that everyone agrees with in principle. Most immigration "solutions" from the Dems actually hurt their most important voter bloc the most -- Black Americans.
Stephen Miller is that you. As a black person I find the statement that human and compassionate immigration policy highly offensive. It implies minorities are only qualified for low wage jobs and pits brown people against black people

two can play at that game: the -entire- Republican party as it embraces Trump is now the party of bigots, domestic terrorists, and the un-self-aware.
Bigots? He expanded the GOP to blacks, Hispanics and blue collar. He received more votes than any GOP and any POTUS running for re-election. Dems deny the terrorists on their side and have resorted to bribery, cheating and literally insulting half the country. I can see which side you’ve selected. Good luck.

Stephen Miller is that you. As a black person I find the statement that human and compassionate immigration policy highly offensive. It implies minorities are only qualified for low wage jobs and pits brown people against black people

You clearly didn't read my comment. I'll give you a chance to re-read and amend your comment. (Hint: absolutely nothing in my comment has anything to do with qualification.)

Bigots? He expanded the GOP to blacks, Hispanics and blue collar. He received more votes than any GOP and any POTUS running for re-election. Dems deny the terrorists on their side and have resorted to bribery, cheating and literally insulting half the country. I can see which side you’ve selected. Good luck.

They hate that fact. The Democrat party cannot survive without the victim mentality. Sadly, I don't trust the GOP to expand on the work Trump did in reaching out to those groups.

You act as though he won the black vote.....best estimates have it that Trump went from anywhere from 6% points in 2016 to 8% or at best 10% in 2020. That's hardly a ringing endorsement. And those increases were primarily among black men (HRC 82% while Biden 80%). Trump got annihilated by black women. Yes keep believing Trump is this great change agent and will bring you the Brown vote. Lol

Reactions: celticdawg
You can be as snide as you want, I suppose, but it's worth noting that the GOP sabotaged our one attempt at getting healthcare costs under control as a nation - which we STILL have to do - and are every bit complicit in the bad sausage that was the ACA.

Also worth noting - the Trump administration and the Republicans in congress NEVER PROPOSED AN ALTERNATIVE!
The rest of the western world has shown that universal healthcare produces as good or better results for less expenditure - in many cases, 50% less - than the bastardized system we rely on in the US. The discussion should not be about whether we are going to move to universal healthcare but how we are going to get there (note: the Bernie system championed by the far left is financially atrocious. There is a reason no other country has anything like it. It is untenable). We are decades behind other nations. They made the move before costs became stratospheric. Getting there while avoiding major economic damage will be one of the most politically challenging projects in our history. It, however, must be done. It is ethically, morally, and economically the right thing to do.

Last edited:
The rest of the western world has shown that universal healthcare produces as good or better results for less expenditure - in many cases, 50% less - than the bastardized system we rely on in the US. The discussion should not be about whether we are going to move to universal healthcare but how we are going to get there (note: the Bernie system championed by the far left is financially atrocious. There is reason no other country has anything like it. It is untenable). We are decades behind other nations. They made the move before costs became stratospheric. Getting there while avoiding major economic damage will be one of the most politically challenging projects in our history. It, however, must be done. It is ethically, morally, and economically the right thing to do.

You need to check again. Waiting for 12 mos is not uncommon. Those that can afford it come here.

You need to check again. Waiting for 12 mos is not uncommon. Those that can afford it come here.

Waits are common in many countries (but for which procedures). And the wealthy might come here. But why do people have to leave the US to get treatment (possibly not as good) that they can't afford here. Universal may not be the answer, but we need improvement which we certainly have not had the last four years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT