ADVERTISEMENT

The Daily Dawg Caller When the Coliseum became a “little unconscious” vs. LSU

Patrick Garbin

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
Sep 24, 2015
Bishop, GA
With Georgia hosting a big game tonight vs. LSU, I thought I’d post recalling the Bulldogs’ historic win over the Tigers in 1990. One could argue it’s the greatest home victory in the history of UGA men’s basketball.

I’m still impressed that UGA students the night before the game camped outside (what was then called) the Georgia Coliseum despite high winds and temperatures in the 30s for just the opportunity to purchase a few remaining tickets.

In what would determine the winner of the regular-season SEC title, the Bulldogs trailed by 19 points, 57-38, with 17:30 remaining before a fierce rally.

According to a postgame story, just before Neville Austin went to the free throw line with the game tied, head coach Hugh Durham told his 6-foot-10 center, “Don’t worry. You’re gonna make this.” As Austin walked to the line, Durham softly inquired with assistant Tevester Anderson on the bench, “So, you think he’ll even hit the rim?”

Speaking of big men, LSU newcomers 7-foot-1 Shaquille O’Neal and 7-foot-0 Stanley Roberts—a duo that averaged 28 points, 22 rebounds, and 5½ blocked shots per game in 1989-90—were limited to a combined 8 points, 12 rebounds, and zero blocked shots (in just 36 minutes—both fouled out).

90lswho.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News