ADVERTISEMENT

Post of the Day A few thoughts from last Saturday…

MiniMono

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We’re halfway through the week, and little over halfway from the last scrimmage to the next one. I held off on posting a longer thread, but I know we’re all antsy for this season to get started, so I figured I’d list out some notes.

I thought Stetson looked really comfortable and in command. I think he is going to ball out.
I won’t get too into my opinions on QB2/who the next starter will be, but I think that another full season, spring, and offseason is going to put Brock in a really strong position. His mobility is a big factor in that.

-Expecting a big year from Kenny Mac. He is in great shape, and his burst to the second level is the best we’ve had since Chubb.
-Daijun Edwards may not “surprise” us this year, but I think he’ll be a surprise within the league/on the national level. He looked phenomenal.
-The two freshman are going to be studs. Don’t care about their rankings, they are 5 star backs. Not entirely sure how much we should expect out of them this season, but if they’re called upon, they’re going to be really solid.

-The receivers all look really good. Ladd looks like a more refined receiver. Made some nice catches in traffic.
-AD is going to moss some people this year. Stud.
-Meeks is a playmaker. Dillon Bell is one of the best looking freshman receivers I’ve seen come through Georgia, in terms of the shape he’s in. We have a ton of options at receiver.

-Delp had the best day at TE, primarily because he had the most opportunities. I can’t believe that he is our 4th TE.
-Gilbert had a few nice catches - in much better shape than he was in the spring.
-Washington is the forgotten man in this group (I guess, until the hype he has received since Saturday). He is in tremendous shape and it’s showing. He looks quicker, faster than last year as he was probably playing a little overweight last year due to the foot injury. The foot injury itself probably slowed him down a tad, too. He shoved a couple of people straight to Hell after a couple catches. Expecting more from him as a pass catcher than I was before the scrimmage. Really impressive.
-Brock Bowers didn’t play a ton/have a ton of opportunities. I think it’s safe to say he’s washed up. Just not an SEC caliber player IMO.

-OL and DL are the hardest things to keep track of at these scrimmages where there are constant rotations and no replays. I focused on Willock who looked really strong. I’m not sure if this is a hot take but I think McClendon ends up a first rounder. Just a really good tackle.
-Nobody really jumped out to me on the DL (Carter barely played), but I thought TID had the quickest first step out of the bigger guys. Mykel and Marvin Jones are going to be players. They will contribute this year. I wonder if we try to scheme some more pass rush from the End position this year.

-Smael and JDJ are going to take the most snaps at ILB. Big, strong, fast. Smael’s combination of size and speed may the best Kirby has had at this position since being here. Both of these guys are going to be NFL players (maybe that’s a given). They may need some time to gel and gain experience, but once the instincts click for these two they are going to be deadly.
-Trezman had a big hit on Paul, causing a fumble. Great to see him healthy, he is in tremendous shape.

-Malaki Starks is the one.
-Lassiter looked good. Had a really nice PBU on Ladd after getting beat on a double move, great recovery.
-The freshmen + Nyland are really impressive looking athletes. Nobody significantly stood out out of them per se, but it was one scrimmage. There were a few blown coverages - youth.

My one main takeaway was how in shape the team looked. Not a lot of bad weight to go around. We are going to have some tremendous speed all over the field.

I know some of this has been mentioned by the staff here, but figured I’d share my observations since I had my eyes on it, and help us all get through the week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News