ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Murray has Gumps worrying about Milroe's development under DeBoer....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
"This is all Murray had to say about that" Gump:
Lots of the RT getting beat.

The WR's not getting a lot of consistent separation. (which isn't great vs USF)

Milroe not reading the coverage so his decision making on when to throw isn't good.

Throws are late....even when there is space between the WR and DB.

Milroe's feet need a lot of work. His timing needs a lot of work.

OL was bad. WR's had issues. Lots of issues all around.

"Milroe is slow at getting the ball out. Who woulda thought?" Gump:
I'm kind of mad that Aaron Murray has made me like him in 2 weeks but he is very good at breaking things down and I'll probably continue to watch his vids all season.

I'm glad he highlighted the timing issues this week.

Specifically covering the footwork and how the ball needs to be out on the 3 step drops and 5 step drops.

Step, Step, Step, - Bang ball needs to be out
Step, Step, Step, Step, Step, - Bang ball needs to be out

Those extra pitter patter steps waiting for the WR to be open have got to go.

Trust your guy...Trust your WR or TE to beat his guy and throw the ball to area the route is heading towards.

That's what CKD's Offense is predicated on....

Our Routes are designed to send WR's into an area of the field.. these 'pockets of space' where they basically run under the ball and catch it because the ball is already out and heading to that area/pocket of space.

JM is waiting for them to BE OPEN before he even thinks about throwing and even then on some routes he just doesn't like what he sees and won't trust it or pull the trigger.

"Sheridan's no Tommy Rees" Gump:
He lays blame in 3 areas (not in any order):

1. Playcalling: in constantly harped on us continuing to run 4 verticles. Why we did this with the pressure they were bringing just doesn't make sense!

2. OL: He constantly shows them getting beat OR audibling into slide protection when they should have stayed in 5.0, which basically means you block the guy in front of you. BTW, if you want to know more about the LOS he drops a lot of insight in this video. Now, the question becomes, who called for the slide protection? Was it OL captain or JM???

3. JM: Biggest criticism (and we all know it already) is JM is LATE and/or INACCURATE on just about every throw. When the ball should be out of his hands, he's still holding it. Even on many of the completed passes, he's late or inaccurate but if he's on time or more accurate it's a house call in many cases. FWIW, I'm convinced this is something JM probably will never be able to change. It is what it is. If we are rolling with him this year, we might as well prepare for feast or famine.

Likely won't win the Heisman Gump:
He's slow getting the ball out in passing skels WHEN THERE IS NO COVERAGE!

So, there's no question, this is his biggest issue (along with accuracy).

We are basically struggling to accept we now have a QB who is mortal in this regard when our 3 prior QBs were exceptional in both of these areas: they threw the ball before the receiver was open (on time) and it generally hit him in the numbers. Of course, TUA was the GOAT and it was because he was so good at presnap reads because when the ball was snapped he usually knew where he was going to throw it. JM, it seems, doesn't know, and he's deciding based on what he sees and he has slow eyes.

"Strike 3. You're out!" Gump: I agree with you. Three different quarterback coaches have tried to fix these issues with him, and he is still doing it. At this point, I do not think it is something that can or will be fixed.

"We have lost our big uglies" Gump: The OL sucked butt and let's not make light of it. They were atrocious and should be immensely embarrassed. They have to get better and quick. But we've got to stop misreading plays and throwing the ball to the wrong guy. I picked just three, there were more..

"Wisky will give us more problems than it gave Sark" Gump: We won't beat Georgia unless this stuff is cleaned up. Will be a struggle against Wisconsin.

"It reminds me when people think they can just make their kid a concert pianist with piano lessons" Gump: Three different on-staff QB coaches. he's also been using off-season private QB coaching for at least 3 off-seasons yet still has the same challenges.

"I'm a naysayer and I still don't know" Gump: I posted that before I read your post with the pics, and you're absolutely right. It's as I have been saying the entire time, he's making the wrong reads.

"Ty is still great and two of the best coaches in college football are letting him rot on our bench" Gump: To me, losing Saying was...what it was. He never actually played here. Losing Ty would be devastating since we spent so much time developing him and watching him play for us. Seeing him succeed for another program would be so much worse than Saying IMO.

"Should I hit the seat warmer button this early?" Gump: They did. Still, it's hard to be excited about this season when we were supposed to have this elite offense, yet we were only 1 point ahead of a G5 team deep in the 4th quarter...at home...on the night that we officially unveiled Saban Field. Not great.

"All it took was snap against WKU and you could see Ty's greatness" Gump: Ty's very first snap against WKU proved he can handle a free blitzer.

Jalen's the only egg in Deboer's basket" Gump: The coaching staff has placed themselves into the position of win or lose with Milroe. All of last year and this year has been about developing Milroe without ever giving another QB an opportunity for snaps under pressure to know definitively how they would handle it. When a tough situation arrives as with Saturday night there is no opportunity to make a change to at least allow the starter to see what is happening on the field. I find it remarkable and that is being diplomatic.

"The key to the offense is sailing in Puget Sound" Gump:

I'm starting to worry that Grubb was a more important component to this "DeBoer" offense then we thought because so far, this looks nothing like what we saw from Washington last year. Or scarier, they don't think Milore can run Deboer's offense but are sticking with him anyway.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.