ADVERTISEMENT

Allow me to clarify my “dead carcass” post.....

easychair

UGA LOVER
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
I painted with too broad a brush, though unintentionally, when I made this statement. My displeasure is with Tom Crean and his inability to recruit and keep our most talented players. I did not, at all, mean to impugn the players, assistant coaches, managers, trainers, secretaries, etc, connected with our basketball team. I have been a long time supporter of UGA basketball, since 1966, and have thoroughly enjoyed some great teams under Durham, Tubby, Harrick, and I cannot understand why we don’t have a team that is competitive for post season wins more consistently. The right HC can do what these other coaches did and keep our BB program at a much more consistent level. I don’t believe TC is that coach.

I realize that the transfer portal is a reality for all NCAA programs, but we have lost our BEST players and our best recruiting assistant coach. I don’t believe that Crean can sustain a competitive SEC program with losses like these. He has not recruited well at all, certainly not at the level needed to make our program what all of us want it to be. I believe that the portal has been a net loss for us, and that there is very little chance that Crean can produce the kind of team we all want this next season. I believe that our basketball program will continue to decline and that the 2021-22 season will be his last at UGA. My “dead carcass” comment was meant to describe Crean’s regime, his recruiting, his tenure, and the current state of our BB program; it was not directed toward anybody else. To those of you who feel that it was too cruel, I apologize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News