ADVERTISEMENT

Any military retirees considering coming back on active duty?

Pine_Tree1

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2018

I know the Army & Air Force have expressed some public intent in a voluntary recall of retirees to meet operational needs. If recruitment numbers keep lagging & real war breaks out with US direct involvement, could see a lot of involuntary recalls of retirees & possible conscription

I know the Army & Air Force have expressed some public intent in a voluntary recall of retirees to meet operational needs. If recruitment numbers keep lagging & real war breaks out with US direct involvement, could see a lot of involuntary recalls of retirees & possible conscription
I saw that the army was about 50,000 short. Some hearing or other on YouTube

The issue isn't that people don't want to initially join but the new healthcare system has put an end to people being able to "fraudulently" signup with pre-existing conditions that would have otherwise disqualified them. It's a pretty interesting situation the DoD is in on how to handle the problem. Do they reduced medical standards, I think they're going to have to.

"Nonetheless, fudging medical histories has been a key step on many troops’ path from applicant to recruit, according to a group of active-duty military recruiters who spoke with Military Times for this story.

“What it takes to get in the Army is, quite frankly, a lot of fraud and perjury,” one recruiter said.

But this tacit tradition — technically a crime — largely stopped in 2022, the same year the military’s recruiting numbers fell precipitously and today’s recruiting crisis came to the fore.

That year, the Defense Department brought a new medical records platform, known as Military Health System Genesis, online at Military Entrance Processing Stations, where applicants are medically examined before they can sign up.

Now, a year after Genesis was first used by MEPS, some military leaders acknowledge the new system has hindered recruiting". ~ Military Times

Reactions: DawgWCK
I saw that the army was about 50,000 short. Some hearing or other on YouTube
Navy is short about 25,000 sea billets and a large part of that is due to the rapid increase in the number of LIMDU sailors over the last decade and a half. Services are having a tough time finding physical qualified candidates to meet their quotas.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
Navy is short about 25,000 sea billets and a large part of that is due to the rapid increase in the number of LIMDU sailors over the last decade and a half. Services are having a tough time finding physical qualified candidates to meet their quotas.
I'm not a retiree but I considered returning active duty/reserves a few times since I got out in 2010... some experiences & schools I regret not attending. Today's military though, not sure I want to be a part of it though.

The issue isn't that people don't want to initially join but the new healthcare system has put an end to people being able to "fraudulently" signup with pre-existing conditions that would have otherwise disqualified them. It's a pretty interesting situation the DoD is in on how to handle the problem. Do they reduced medical standards, I think they're going to have to.

"Nonetheless, fudging medical histories has been a key step on many troops’ path from applicant to recruit, according to a group of active-duty military recruiters who spoke with Military Times for this story.

“What it takes to get in the Army is, quite frankly, a lot of fraud and perjury,” one recruiter said.

But this tacit tradition — technically a crime — largely stopped in 2022, the same year the military’s recruiting numbers fell precipitously and today’s recruiting crisis came to the fore.

That year, the Defense Department brought a new medical records platform, known as Military Health System Genesis, online at Military Entrance Processing Stations, where applicants are medically examined before they can sign up.

Now, a year after Genesis was first used by MEPS, some military leaders acknowledge the new system has hindered recruiting". ~ Military Times

I’m sure medical reasons contribute, but I think the “wokeness or politicall

I work out with a lot of 18-20 year olds in the gym, one specifically said the medical checks were much tougher now and he was denied. The second reason, which i think also contributes greatly is the "wokeness or current pollical leanings of the military". i think your typical heterosexuals 18 year old male sometimes is concerned about the current military politics or that is what i have heard expressed. I think most 18 year olds don't have any real party affiliation but they seem concerned with some of what they may be hearing or seeing from the 2021-2024 version of the US Military or the current direction. I don't think you will have any of your current military leaders acknowledge, but suspect they are aware.

I’m sure medical reasons contribute, but I think the “wokeness or politicall

I work out with a lot of 18-20 year olds in the gym, one specifically said the medical checks were much tougher now and he was denied. The second reason, which i think also contributes greatly is the "wokeness or current pollical leanings of the military". i think your typical heterosexuals 18 year old male sometimes is concerned about the current military politics or that is what i have heard expressed. I think most 18 year olds don't have any real party affiliation but they seem concerned with some of what they may be hearing or seeing from the 2021-2024 version of the US Military or the current direction. I don't think you will have any of your current military leaders acknowledge, but suspect they are aware.
I've got friends in recruiting services for three different branches and they all say the same, the new medical system is preventing them from getting recruits
they'd previously been able to medically qualify to now meet that standard now that MHGenisis allows deeper evaluation of previous medical conditions. I'm sorry it's not the "woke" answer you're looking for but it's the truth.

Last edited:
I've got friends in recruiting services for three different branches and they all say the same, the new medical system is preventing then from getting in previous to qualify medically. I'm sorry it's not the "woke" answer you're looking for but it's the truth.
What medical problems would a teen have? I think back to HS, a couple of knee surgeries, and some perpetual broken wrist problem— for entire class. Maybe some allergies.

I've got friends in recruiting services for three different branches and they all say the same, the new medical system is preventing then from getting in previous to qualify medically. I'm sorry it's not the "woke" answer you're looking for but it's the truth.
I’m sure the medical system change contributes to the numbers, perhaps a large percentage, but the perception the miltary went further woke in the 2021 range certainly plays a part as well or it does IMO.

Reactions: ClydeDawg
So yore telling me no able-bodied rednecks won't choose the military due to bidens woke agenda?? 😆

• Love
Reactions: Lady43
What medical problems would a teen have? I think back to HS, a couple of knee surgeries, and some perpetual broken wrist problem— for entire class. Maybe some allergies.
The rise of behavioral medications is one of the major issues. A lot of kids now take medication for depression, ADHD and other behavioral conditions that either disqualifies or forces potential recruits to go through a potential lengthy waiver process. A smaller and smaller segment of the population is physically and mentally able to serve.

Hell draft them and make them physically qualified!

The rise of behavioral medications is one of the major issues. A lot of kids now take medication for depression, ADHD and other behavioral conditions that either disqualifies or forces potential recruits to go through a potential lengthy waiver process. A smaller and smaller segment of the population is physically and mentally able to serve.

Remember what Gen Patton did about soldiers saying they were mentally unable to serve. That’s what needs to happen now.

I've got friends in recruiting services for three different branches and they all say the same, the new medical system is preventing them from getting recruits
they'd previously been able to medically qualify to now meet that standard now that MHGenisis allows deeper evaluation of previous medical conditions. I'm sorry it's not the "woke" answer you're looking for but it's the truth.
This is just lib propaganda and it is bull.

It's not a great deal: no chance of promotion, they can PCS you like anybody else, and it doesn't contribute to your retirement calculations.

Other than a paying job, there is no long term benefit. The people interested in this wouldn't likely be your high performers. It's likely to be the ones RIF'd that now can't find a decent job. Not a great combo.

This is just lib propaganda and it is bull.
No, it's 100% what's happening. A lot of medical stuff had to be self-reported. Now, everything is seen & combine that with more disqualifying medication being prescribed a lot more & you get the problem.

The 'woke' portion referenced above isn't the right word. But, there are certainly policies that are making both some recruits & current members question decision makers & their own career decisions. But, on the other hand, there is also a number (smaller than the former, imo) that are giving the military a second look.

That said, I think there are a ton of other factors that are hurting recruiting & retention. A big part for the AF, at least is there are young airmen on enlistments that get trained & certified in a wide array of skillsets that can get 6-figure jobs after 3 or 6 years. I don't blame them for leaving. The $$ difference is too great.

Hell draft them and make them physically qualified!
Oh God no...the draft should only be enacted as a last resort. Services are having enough issues with kids that volunteer to serve being unable to assimilate to military lifestyle...you start forcing people in and I think you'll see an increase in disciplinary issues. Just bad idea.

Remember what Gen Patton did about soldiers saying they were mentally unable to serve. That’s what needs to happen now.
Had a uncle that had "shell shock" in WW2. He was laid up in a hospital for 6 months not knowing if it was day or night.
It is real, and Patton was wrong on that one.

Reactions: shonuff253
Oh God no...the draft should only be enacted as a last resort. Services are having enough issues with kids that volunteer to serve being unable to assimilate to military lifestyle...you start forcing people in and I think you'll see an increase in disciplinary issues. Just bad idea.
Good Lord man, you libs have to quit being stupid and make these punks in society today to contribute something to our country instead of taking everything the can . Our country deserves better than what this generation is producing.

It's not a great deal: no chance of promotion, they can PCS you like anybody else, and it doesn't contribute to your retirement calculations.

Other than a paying job, there is no long term benefit. The people interested in this wouldn't likely be your high performers. It's likely to be the ones RIF'd that now can't find a decent job. Not a great combo.

No, it's 100% what's happening. A lot of medical stuff had to be self-reported. Now, everything is seen & combine that with more disqualifying medication being prescribed a lot more & you get the problem.

The 'woke' portion referenced above isn't the right word. But, there are certainly policies that are making both some recruits & current members question decision makers & their own career decisions. But, on the other hand, there is also a number (smaller than the former, imo) that are giving the military a second look.

That said, I think there are a ton of other factors that are hurting recruiting & retention. A big part for the AF, at least is there are young airmen on enlistments that get trained & certified in a wide array of skillsets that can get 6-figure jobs after 3 or 6 years. I don't blame them for leaving. The $$ difference is too great.
Exactly...we can't keep kids in the cyber career fields. I think the AF FINALLY bringing back Warrants is a big step in the right direction and I hope they expand to other critically manned career fields.

There are tough decisions the service leaders are going to need to make to keep serving in the military a viable option for today's generation. Of course I'm biased but I feel the USAF and then the USMC are best positioned to meet that challenge. The Army isn't far behind but just need to push more soilder first policies than "Big Army". The branch that's in real trouble in my opinion is the Navy. They just have not adapted well at all to what the new generation is looking for...in fact the majority of Naval officers/chiefs I've talked with the last two years are steadfast the Navy doesn't need to change the recruits do. Yes true every member that joins has to assimilate to the culture and traditions of the branche they are enlisting/commissioning in but the Navy still is operating as if their ships are powered by wind and sail. They're manning issued are only going to get worse and worse. To many outdated cultural and organizational issue are being ignored in the name of tradition.

Good Lord man, you libs have to quit being stupid and make these punks in society today to contribute something to our country instead of taking everything the can . Our country deserves better than what this generation is producing.
Bro......you really need to stop watching whatever it is on TV you're watching and start living in reality. If a real shooting war between Russia or China kicked off of course draft is on the table but otherwise it's a terrible idea. The Armed Forces aren't equipped to fix societies problem or makeup for shitty parenting. An influx of dipshits would mean more junior officers, NCO and SNCO being forced to divert their attention from organize, train and equipping their unit to babysitting.

Last edited:
Bro......you really need to stop watching whatever it is on TV and start living in reality. If a real shooting war between Russia or China kicked off of course draft is on the table but otherwise it's a terrible idea. The Armed Forces aren't equipped to fix societies problem or makeup for shitty parenting. An influx of dipshits would mean more junior officers, NCO and SNCO being forced to divert their attention from organize, train and equipping their unit to babysitting.
Man that’s what I’m talking about don’t babysit these kids make men out of them. Basic training can do that if it was like in the 60s and 70s.

Exactly...we can't keep kids in the cyber career fields. I think the AF FINALLY bringing back Warrants is a big step in the right direction and I hope they expand to other critically manned career fields.

Yep. Although, I don't think Warrants are the answer to the pilot problem. You'd still lose them just as fast to the airlines for the same reasons (and the lower warrant pay would not help, either). It's why enlisted RPA pilots didn't work...three-letter agencies were hiring them just as fast.

There are tough decisions the service leaders are going to need to make to keep serving in the military a viable option for today's generation. Of course I'm biased but I feel the USAF and then the USMC are best positioned to meet that challenge.
Absolutely. Both are experts at adapting (operationally, at least)

The Army isn't far behind but just need to push more soilder first policies than "Big Army".

The Army's problem is their culture...at all levels. But, that's a much longer discussion for another day.

The branch that's in real trouble in my opinion is the Navy. They just have not adapted well at all to what the new generation is looking for...in fact the majority of Naval officers/chiefs I've talked with the last two years are steadfast the Navy doesn't need to change the recruits do. Yes true every member that joins has to assimilate to the culture and traditions of the branche they are enlisting/commissioning in but the Navy still is operating as if their ships are powered by wind and sail. They're manning issued are only going to get worse and worse. To many outdated cultural and organizational issue are being ignored in the name of tradition.

It's also an inherently difficult hurdle that most people don't want to so much of their time, away from family, at sea. It's a deployment grind of a different flavor that the other services dealt with at the height of OIF/OEF (and is still an issue). Shore tours are great, but not enough and anybody that finds a way to make a Navy career away from 'the Fleet' isn't likely to be highly promotable, imo.

But, as I referenced above...I think the Army has the bigger problem because they need the bigger numbers and their culture encourages large pockets of toxic leadership....and if they lower their standards, that only worsens the issues.

He was a great general and leader though. That’s what you libs say about Trump!
Patton's pivot to go into the Battle of the Bulge, thus the Third Army having two fronts, is considered the most brilliant move in military history.
At the meeting in Verdun with Ike and Bradley and other generals, not one of them had any ideas on what to do. Except Patton who had 3 different plans. Patton surrounded himself with an excellent staff and already knew the Germans were up to something.

Last edited:

We get what we deserve.

Our country is effing weak. Where are the real men?

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
We get what we deserve.

Our country is effing weak. Where are the real men?
In our military..

• Angry
Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Didn't requiring the jab cause a lot of issues with recruitment and retention?
From what I heard, the impacts & numbers were overstated.

While I am opposed to anyone losing their jobs for not volunteering for what was an experimental vaccine, shit man....the first day of boot camp you get stuck without about 10 needles & other ones before deployment. Any service member claiming their body is some virgin temple is an idiot

No one even asks what any of the 20 shots are they give us from day 1 but this one is the bridge too far?

Last edited:

My son is active duty military. He says many are looking at the election. If Trump gets back in there will be many resignations.

• Haha
Reactions: elderdawg
My son is active duty military. He says many are looking at the election. If Trump gets back in there will be many resignations.

I have serious doubts that happens at any level beyond a very small number for two reasons:

1. Very few military members are not operating under some sort of time-required contract
2. A member may not agree with the politics of a POTUS, but that's a heck of a life-decision to make for what will be a maximum of 4 years (for either candidate)
3. There's a heavy skew towards conservatives in the military (although I do believe that % has lessened), but most simply don't pay attention to politics enough to leave because of an election.

Simply put, I'll believe it when I see it.

Speaking from experience from someone who served under W & Obama presidencies in the military & has worked as a federal employee attached to military commands under Trump & Biden, a lot of servicemembers talk & threaten a good game but few actually follow through putting their political feelings before their military careers & family.

& most those who actually got out after 4 years were going to EAS regardless & there was very little career planners could offer them to stay

Sounds similar to everyone who proclaimed they'd leave the country if Trump was elected but never did anything but whine

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT