ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Anyone have experience with Hybrids.

Richmonddawg

Test Icles
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Augusta, Ga
I currently drive an Avalon and love it but it's time to sell her. There is a dealership in Augusta that has a nice Avalon Limited with about 60k miles. I travel a lot and put about 50K miles a year on a car. I'm not completely chopping off my penis. I still have my f150. I've had several people tell me Lexus/Toyota is the way to go with Hybrids.

ILL-Hybrid-Bass-Record.jpg

I’ve had three I love them.
Had a 2008 Prius. Totaled it on the 110 freeway in 2017 and got a 2010 Prius. Had to replace the battery on the 2010, but it wasn’t nearly as expensive as the dealer told me it would cost.
Wife has a 2012 Prius V. It’s great!

Reactions: WoofNDawg
I will have to do some test drives. I have a friend with a Range Rover and you can really feel the change from battery to regular. It will damn near make you car sick. I know someone pretty high up in Texaco and he said we could be looking at $4/gallon gas within a year with what's about to happen to the energy sector.

I have a Honda CRV hybrid and I love it. Much more fun to drive than the standard models. I’ve heard good things about the Accord hybrids as well if you’re looking for a sedan.

I bought a 2013 Ford Cmax Energi last August because I got a new job that's about an hour drive. So far I love it. Only complaint is I wish the battery was bigger. It's a plug-in hybrid.

I currently drive an Avalon and love it but it's time to sell her. There is a dealership in Augusta that has a nice Avalon Limited with about 60k miles. I travel a lot and put about 50K miles a year on a car. I'm not completely chopping off my penis. I still have my f150. I've had several people tell me Lexus/Toyota is the way to go with Hybrids.
I have a Porsche Cayenne hybrid and absolutely love it.

Reactions: Gacam1523

Consider a plug in hybrid. Buy used as an option to save money. If you drive enough electric miles to qualify, you get the AFV vehicle tag with free access to HOV and HOT lanes. Saves money reduces commute time. And nice parking spaces at anywhere with rapid chargers. And zero gas on errands in your area.

Some of these benefits may wane as more electrics are on the road, but for now they are nice perks.

Reactions: LawDawg86
I have had 2 hybrids and I'll never go back. Gas mileage is incredible

Reactions: mr fury
Consider a plug in hybrid. Buy used as an option to save money. If you drive enough electric miles to qualify, you get the AFV vehicle tag with free access to HOV and HOT lanes. Saves money reduces commute time. And nice parking spaces at anywhere with rapid chargers. And zero gas on errands in your area.

Some of these benefits may wane as more electrics are on the road, but for now they are nice perks.
We bought a 2013 Ford Fusion in 2015, plug-in hybrid for the boys. Does about 20-25 miles on battery before gas kicks in. For going to and from school and work, it was perfect. They get 45 miles per gallon altogether. Son no. 2 took it out to LA where they have plugs everywhere so it's working great for him there.

Pro tip ... don't use an extension cord. We did and found out the minute he started plugging into a real station that he's getting at least 40% more battery.

I will get a Tesla at some point when we don't need to pull a boat any more. Need to have a gas powered car of some type for longer trips, so the wife will have some type of bigger car.

Prices are up about 20 cents last two weeks. Gonna get MUCH worse, no love for domestic oil-gas sector starting Jan 20th, gonna shut em down.
I was teaching in Anderson, SC on election night and bought gas for 1.52. Same gas station 2.20 last Thursday. I buy around 6000 gallons of gas a year so it becomes a big deal.

I've been driving Lexus ES Hybrid for years.. Great cars, 40+ MPG.. Plenty of pick up...

We bought a 2013 Ford Fusion in 2015, plug-in hybrid for the boys. Does about 20-25 miles on battery before gas kicks in. For going to and from school and work, it was perfect. They get 45 miles per gallon altogether. Son no. 2 took it out to LA where they have plugs everywhere so it's working great for him there.

Pro tip ... don't use an extension cord. We did and found out the minute he started plugging into a real station that he's getting at least 40% more battery.

I will get a Tesla at some point when we don't need to pull a boat any more. Need to have a gas powered car of some type for longer trips, so the wife will have some type of bigger car.
Newer Tesla models with the long-range battery will allow you to cover the same distance (although the boat is a different story). I never cared anything about electric and test drove one for kicks. Bought it same day and will never go back.

Like the OP I have an Avalon and love the ride and power from this car. Also have a truck. Not looking for a hybrid at this point. Had one once with a Camry and it was OK but a Camry is not a Avalon. Lexus your paying for the same car just more bell and whistles. So if its a hybrid its a decked out Camry.

Newer Tesla models with the long-range battery will allow you to cover the same distance (although the boat is a different story). I never cared anything about electric and test drove one for kicks. Bought it same day and will never go back.

I have a 2018 Model S. Doubt I will ever buy anything other than a Tesla. New Model S Plaid coming out next year will get 500+ miles per charge.

I also have a truck and am considering getting a hybrid. I’d love to buy a little model 3 Tesla, but read horror stories about the poor quality control and the cost to fix various items on the car once out of warranty.

I’d even consider buying the Tesla truck, but the range while pulling my boat wouldn’t work for me.

I had a Lexus rx400h (the first hybrid for them in 2006) I put > 200k miles on it before selling it to my neighbors teen. My wife has a 2007 Toyota Highlander hybrid with > 100k miles and it’s still running. Never had an issue with the battery/electrical system in either vehicle.

I had a Lexus rx400h (the first hybrid for them in 2006) I put > 200k miles on it before selling it to my neighbors teen. My wife has a 2007 Toyota Highlander hybrid with > 100k miles and it’s still running. Never had an issue with the battery/electrical system in either vehicle.
Toyota has an excellent warranty on their batteries. I believe it’s 150k miles.

I’d definitely lean towards their hybrids, particularly because the Camry hybrid comes with a cvt transmission rather than their somewhat problematic automatic that comes in the gas models.

I also really like their dynamic cruise control. The girlfriend has a 2020 Highlander with it and it’s so nice to travel in it compared to my truck due to that cruise control. The lane keeping assist is really herky jerky and is basically not useable though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richmonddawg

Hybrid mpg gains are in stop-and-go city traffic and your driving is all highway. It would be an improvement but it might be less than you think. Definitely stay with the Avalon. Those things eat up highway miles.

Last edited:
I’ve had three I love them.
Had a 2008 Prius. Totaled it on the 110 freeway in 2017 and got a 2010 Prius. Had to replace the battery on the 2010, but it wasn’t nearly as expensive as the dealer told me it would cost.
Wife has a 2012 Prius V. It’s great!
Lol

• Haha
Reactions: sk8erpatspop
Wife has ‘13 Camry hybrid but only driven 60K since new. Approx 43MPG on HWY... 40’ish MPG in town. Great hwy ride; Ok in town. She loves the car. (Happy wife happy life) Better mileage v Honda / the Acura she used to own but battery is now coming down at approx $1500 replacement. In town mileage now down to 36-37MPG. My thought is do research on how much you’d actually drive v gas savings over time v battery cost. In our case it’s not all that much. You’ll do much better the more in town travel you do. Have looked at Tesla but the coat / benefit not there .... yet. Naturally cost of EV’s are gonna come down as Ford / GM / others get in the game and batteries get cheaper.

I had a cousin who dated one back in the '90s, but I didnt ask any questions. I didnt really want to know any details. They broke up, but I dont think anybody got real mad or anything. So from a distance it seemed OK.
So I dont have personal experience, but I hope this helps anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT