ADVERTISEMENT

As Christmas comes to a close, I'm was looking

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
at Dash's story on two players in the transfer portal. My 85-year-old Palestinian aunt, who is staying with us, was asking me questions about why I was working. So I explained to her the concept of the portal and transfers, and college football in general. Her first response after my long-winded explanation was, "Well someone must have offered them a bag of money."

I about died.

Say what you will about old people, but they didn't survive that long by not understanding human nature.

Anyway, this led to a deeper discussion about why anyone would announce a decision on Christmas day, much less why anyone would read about it. She was fascinated by the community on here that I described. I told her about the friendships, the daily threads, the arguments. She said it sounded like the people who would gather in her village when she was a girl and argue about soccer. I said, "Yes! Exactly." But so much more. She said she understood as those talks led to requests for help or congratulations for a wedding or promotion. Information was shared, friendships were made, sides were taken...

Basically, I said this place is the same as us gathering around the square, all talking together while some played backgammon, drank tea, exchanged advice, and argued over why our boys were going to beat the next village's boys.

She smiled. Said she understood.

Then she said we are lucky to have such a place in this day and age.

She's right. So very right,

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Pass me the tea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News