ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Athens PD

seasidedawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
Dacula, GA
I know that the Athens PD is an easy target for many on this board, especially if a football player is arrested for something we deem as a minor offense. However, I would ask that each of you read the story about yesterday’s police shooting in Athens and watch the two embedded vest cam videos. These two police officers went above and beyond to try and avoid deadly force. I am personally thankful l for them and I pray they can get past this terrible event.
https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/police-release-body-cam-footage-of-officer-shooting

Might have been an ideal time to deploy the M4 rifle. I'm sorry the officers were forced into this "suicide by cop" scenario. Heavy burden to bare taking a human life, bad guy or no. Both begged the guy not to continue his advance, knowing what they would ultimately have to do. Praying for these two officers.

Last edited:
Might have been an ideal time to deploy the M4 rifle. I'm sorry the officers were forced into this "suicide by cop" scenario. Heavy burden to bare taking a human life, bad guy or no. Both begged the guy not to continue his advance, knowing what they would ultimately have to do. Praying for this two officers.
Yep Praying

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
I know that the Athens PD is an easy target for many on this board, especially if a football player is arrested for something we deem as a minor offense. However, I would ask that each of you read the story about yesterday’s police shooting in Athens and watch the two embedded vest cam videos. These two police officers went above and beyond to try and avoid deadly force. I am personally thankful l for them and I pray they can get past this terrible event.
https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/police-release-body-cam-footage-of-officer-shooting
Absolutely went above and beyond as far as restraint.
Terrible situation. Does anyone know what caliber pistol the PD carries? 9MM, .40, or .45?

Looks like the guy took 4 shots to the body and still got up and charged? I am going to guess his toxicology report will show he was positive for something.

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg
I watched the video . I think they gave him as many chances as a officer or anyone should give a person put down the knife . It also cause a horrible situation with a another officer . They backed up, all the way to the highway .

Leaving their patrol units . Which wasn’t ideal for them to do . It’s easy for me to say these things but I tend to get PO when officer safety errors are so glaring .

I watched the video . I think they gave him as many chances as a officer or anyone should give a person put down the knife . It also cause a horrible situation with a another officer . They backed up, all the way to the highway .

Leaving their patrol units . Which wasn’t ideal for them to do . It’s easy for me to say these things but I tend to get PO when officer safety errors are so glaring .
There is more this than you can see from these videos. This guy was trying to gain entry to the management office of the apartments. By backing up and allowing the suspect to follow them it took the suspect away from an occupied office and any possible gunfire. These guys did the right thing.

Thank you for posting this. We do allow ourselves to get so wrapped up in the sport we love that we forget the jobs these dedicated men and women do every day that makes a difference in the safety of so many in Athens and other areas.

It sounded like a 9 to me, but who knows with mic ranges and all. if so, this is exactly why the caliber is criticised. Opinions vary.

I’m surprised the guy got up after being shot 3 to 4 times. I’m also surprised that he did not get a headshot after he got up and changed the cop. Supposedly the second cop Shot the guy after he tackled the first cop to shoot him

Reactions: wayxpython
Those body cameras are gonna get an officer killed one day....................overly cautious 'cause everything is scrutinized via that body camera. First time that thug charged with a knife...........one shot to the center of the cranial....one inch above the eyes.
1200px-Cranial_bones_en_v2.svg.png

Those body cameras are gonna get an officer killed one day....................overly cautious 'cause everything is scrutinized via that body camera. First time that thug charged with a knife...........one shot to the center of the cranial....one inch above the eyes.
1200px-Cranial_bones_en_v2.svg.png
You are absolutely right. That cop came as close as possible when that guy got up and grabbed him. These videos should be used as training tools for ever new cop.

You are absolutely right. That cop came as close as possible when that guy got up and grabbed him. These videos should be used as training tools for ever new cop.
During my military days, they trained us to never point our weapon at anything we didn't intend to shoot. And, when we discharged our weapon, we aimed center mass, shooting to kill....not to maim. Had I ever felt I couldn't kill somebody, I would have started going door to door selling vacuum cleaners.
vacuum-salesman.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT