ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn: A 2nd & Long Report

Peacedog

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
2nd & Long definition: 7 or more yards to go on second down.

There are a few subjects in the world that can really make a good chunk of the vent just sort of seizure post through having wild seizures. A happy cross section of those topics involves UGA's OC: Mike Bobo, and 2nd & long playcalls. There's a belief, going back to Bobo's previous stint as OC, that UGA "always ran" on 2nd & long. Values of "always" tended to vary from one poster to another. In addition to being "too much" i was generally "some large amount of time that doesn't make sense according to the feelings of the individual ranting".

It was never true that Bobo (or even Richt before him, as some complained), "always ran on 2nd & long". This thread is simply to chart the latest game and show that. It is neither a defense of, nor an indictment of, Mike Bobo.

It's just what actually happened.

DriveDown and distance
1​
2&9pass Smith 4
2&10pass Young 7
2&8pass Etn 9
2​
-
3​
2&10run Etn 10
2nd & 7run Branson 6
4​
-
5​
-
6​
2&10run Etn 4
7​
2&11pass Dom 13

I counted seven 2nd & long plays. 3 runs, 4 passes. Two of the runs were success plays ("success" is defined as getting 50% of the yards to go on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, and 100% on 3rd and 4th down).

It was, for whatever reason, 3 straight 2nd & Longs (but that spawn covered several quarters). I believe we did the same thing during a 1h stretch against Clemson.

Edit: missed a 2nd & 10 run to branson for a yard later in the game., and a 2nd & 10 incomplete on that same drive (the last drive).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.