ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Augusta Recommendations

vbs22542

National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2015
Going to a concert at Bell Auditorium. Looking for good hotel/ food recommendations for my fiance and I

Reactions: ncdukedawg
Krispy Kreme if it’s still there. I haven’t been back in years tho.

Reactions: dawgkc
Frog Hollow if you can get a reservation, Farmhaus for burgers, Frog and the hen, French market grille, tako sushi, craft and vine, Abel brown, boll weevil for cake. Stay at Partridge Inn or Crowne plaza in north Augusta.
This is all correct. Abel Brown, Craft & Vine, and Frog Hollow top the dinner food list for sure. You may want to try Drift Raw Bar or Southbound for drinks if you stay in North Augusta or in downtown Augusta. Takosushi is great for lunch. Arsenal Tap Room is a fun beer place on the Hill. As for hotels, you could also stay in the Marriott convention center downtown.

Frog Hollow if you can get a reservation, Farmhaus for burgers, Frog and the hen, French market grille, tako sushi, craft and vine, Abel brown, boll weevil for cake. Stay at Partridge Inn or Crowne plaza in north Augusta.
These are good

Going to a concert at Bell Auditorium. Looking for good hotel/ food recommendations for my fiance and I
Are you familiar with McDonald's?

I keed but Augusta is a lot more franchise typed place than authentic nowadays.

Guisseppis is good if you like Italian. Just a regular place. Not hoity toity.

There used to be a place called the Red Lion bar/restaurant many years ago (when I was on the honky tonk circuit back in my UGA days).

Reactions: LetsGodawg
Sonyers BBQ for me. Maybe Tee's for seafood but I'm old school.
You spend some time in South Augusta? I grew up going to those places, went to school with a grandson of the OG Sconyer, but haven't been in over 15 years. Funny to see T's mentioned.

Reactions: ggr1986
Grew up in Augusta, graduated from Medical College of Georgia (after UGA), moved away 30 years ago but still visit my parents there frequently. Can’t go wrong with French Market Grille, Beck’s, Sheehan’s, or numerous downtown restaurants. Luigi’s downtown is a landmark Italian restaurant- great food, 1950s feel (owned by same family for decades) - you’ll see several players there during Masters week. I had my 30 year MCG reunion at Partidge Inn this past summer - 20 years ago I considered this a great hotel - this past summer it was rather shoddy. I would stay Marriott downtown or CP North Augusta

As a resident of the Augusta area, going to have to shoot down Farmhaus.....average at best burger, with a price like it is a high end burger.

Everything else you mention though, is solid.

Crown plaza in north Augusta or Hyatt house in downtown Augusta for lodging. Frog hollow is walking distance of Hyatt House.

Reactions: DawgB
Grew up in Augusta, graduated from Medical College of Georgia (after UGA), moved away 30 years ago but still visit my parents there frequently. Can’t go wrong with French Market Grille, Beck’s, Sheehan’s, or numerous downtown restaurants. Luigi’s downtown is a landmark Italian restaurant- great food, 1950s feel (owned by same family for decades) - you’ll see several players there during Masters week. I had my 30 year MCG reunion at Partidge Inn this past summer - 20 years ago I considered this a great hotel - this past summer it was rather shoddy. I would stay Marriott downtown or CP North Augusta
The PI looks like they are finishing another big renovation. Curious as to how it will turn out.

@hogan ward
All of my immediate family members live within walking distance of the PI (I also grew up there). Your understanding is correct that it is undergoing a huge renovation

Marriott riverfront is nice and close to the Bell. Luigi’s would be my pick for dinner but also may want to try Frog Hollow.

As a resident of the Augusta area, going to have to shoot down Farmhaus.....average at best burger, with a price like it is a high end burger.

Everything else you mention though, is solid.
I love the Farmhouse. Their burgers are some i ok f the best and they have specials with Venison or Duck frequently.

All good recs

I dislike the cake at the boil weevil but their curious george sandwich and chili is excellent.

I love the Farmhouse. Their burgers are some i ok f the best and they have specials with Venison or Duck frequently.
Different strokes I guess. My wife and I gave it multiple chances.....were not a fan. Brother came to visit with his family, and took them there......they were not impressed either. Maybe it's my family's genetics. LOL I probably haven't been back in a good 3 years at least.

Read the post just above this one. Not an ounce of “franchisee” in that list.
I get there is more than one option but the CSRA is kind of big compared to originality of restaurants ( i mean to toss out 5-6 names isn't a big amount considering some wont even agree) very few like sconyers or deep rooted ones. Several have died over the years and got replaced by franchises. And we have 90 percent of the franchises. Not a bad thing just very commercial compared to Athens for example

I really don’t think the Red Lion had food. Got hammered there several times in the late 90s
Red Lion did have food, but more along pub fare. Along with Squeaky’s Tip Top (which also had food), these were the prime hangouts for the college crowd, post-college crowd, and MCG students; and particularly those students and grads of the Greek persuasion. A fair number of older regulars as well. Alas, both Red Lion and Tip Top are many years closed

Reactions: Statesboro_Dawg
Damn. That place had food?
I hadn’t thought about the Red Lion Pub in years. Was one of the regular hang out places while I was a student at MCG in the late 80’s. I had forgotten that they had food too 😂😂😂. I miss the Green Jacket restaurant. Glad to hear Luigi’s is still going strong. I still have to get me some Wife Saver chicken when I get back to Augusta.

Last edited:
I really don’t think the Red Lion had food. Got hammered there several times in the late 90s
Red Lion had food at times between 1996 and 2000. The owner at that time is a good friend and another friend ran the kitchen from time to time. But not for the whole duration of 1996-2000.

Red Lion had food at times between 1996 and 2000. The owner at that time is a good friend and another friend ran the kitchen from time to time. But not for the whole duration of 1996-2000.
They also had some pub style food from 1986 - 1990 now that I think back on it. Is Teresa’s Mexican restaurant still on Walton Way? Back in the day it was great.

I
They also had some pub style food from 1986 - 1990 now that I think back on it. Is Teresa’s Mexican restaurant still on Walton Way? Back in the day it was great.
no. They closed 4-5 years ago. But we still have plenty of Mexican restaurants in the area that all taste the same. Nacho Mamas is very good but some people tell me they don’t consider it ‘Mexican’. Maybe because they are used to Teresa’s, Pablanos, and Monterey.

Reactions: drillnfilldawg
Sonyers BBQ for me. Maybe Tee's for seafood but I'm old school.
T's burnt down last year and the family decided not to reopen at the old location. They are doing catering out of N. Augusta.
Broad Street has a lot of good bars and restaurants. We like Whiskey Bar and Grill.
For a overall good meal Raes Coastal Cafe is another go to up in Forest Hills Racket club off of Walton Way.

Last edited:
Sole downtown restaurant. Wife loves the sushi (keowee roll) and I love the bacon Swiss burger and fries. Also good drinks and atmosphere. Convenient to bell auditorium, Marriott riverfront or Hyatt house on broad street (opened about 5 yrs ago) Luigis is in a sketchy part of downtown. Downtown area gets crowded at night so it feels safe but luigi area is on the edge of downtown and not the good edge. Lots of bars on broad street.

Reactions: alpha.q
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT