ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Band of Brothers

Do you know what Army/division the 5th Evac was assigned to?

my grandfather came ashore in Normandy on june 8th, and fought all the way to Germany, getting wounded (then dying) on 2/26/45. he was in 117th Infantry Reg/30th Inf Div. I’ve spent years, trying to retrace his exact route.

a funny/warm story - about 4 years ago, I had an opportunity to develop a friendship with a business partner in a US division of a German company. One night over dinner, our conversation somehow shifted to the war. His father had been a German soldier, captured as a POWin Africa. I told him my grandfathers story, and he asked if I knew the name of the small village he was killed in. I mentioned t, and he smiled. He proceeded to tell me that his small hometown in Germany was less than 40 miles from the village. He then said - next time you are over, you will be my guest, and I will take you to Oberempt, and we will honor your grandfather together.

I am so grateful, that even as our world remains the same, people grow….

This guy might be able you or anyone searching on information.

Reactions: acndog
"The Pacific" was released after 9-11 so it shows a more realistic view of the war fought against the Japanese. They are both great but "Band of Brothers" is more optimistic and a "feel good" story.
I watch the Pacific and think about two men that I worked with that enlisted in the marines at 16. Pasquale aka “Pat” made many landings and fought from ‘42 on. He told a few war stories, most illustrated how lucky he was to survive.

Man, I have not seen that HBO program in years. Some guy was watching it on a Delta flight. Immediately sucked me in again. Forgot those guys trained in Toccoa, Georgia. Just unreal how good that program was. Whoever did the casting was remarkable. Damian Lewis as Maj. Dick Winters was incredible. Truly one of the greatest mini series ever created. Unreal. So incredibly grateful for those men.

The greatest television ever produced.

Reactions: MCinATL and acndog
Man, I have not seen that HBO program in years. Some guy was watching it on a Delta flight. Immediately sucked me in again. Forgot those guys trained in Toccoa, Georgia. Just unreal how good that program was. Whoever did the casting was remarkable. Damian Lewis as Maj. Dick Winters was incredible. Truly one of the greatest mini series ever created. Unreal. So incredibly grateful for those men.
Was lucky to meet and become friends with 1st Lt Reed Pelfrey of Toccoa back in the late 80's. We trout fished together in North Georgia/South Carolina for about 10 years. Reed served in Company H of the 502nd regiment of the 101st Airborne and jumped from the first airplane into Normandy. So honored to have called Reed my friend and we really enjoyed the wonderful stories he told us. He was one tough American soldier! RIP Reed Pelfrey.

Reactions: acndog
Was lucky to meet and become friends with 1st Lt Reed Pelfrey of Toccoa back in the late 80's. We trout fished together in North Georgia/South Carolina for about 10 years. Reed served in Company H of the 502nd regiment of the 101st Airborne and jumped from the first airplane into Normandy. So honored to have called Reed my friend and we really enjoyed the wonderful stories he told us. He was one tough American soldier! RIP Reed Pelfrey.

So typical of that generation “I had nothing to do with that”. Incredibly humble and modest. Terrific video - thanks

This guy might be able you or anyone searching on information.
he can/does.. tho he is GREATLY hampered by the catastrophic fire that destroyed the St Louis Military archives facility, in, I think, the early 70's..

so many paper records lost forever

I watch it once a year to honor my airborne forefathers. It’s extremely humbling, inspiring, and emotional to watch. It’s also very cool to realize that the jump sequence to get out of a plane today is basically what it was in WWII. All okay, Jumpmaster! Airborne!
and, thank you for your Service

Do you know where he is buried? My grandfather was killed Feb 24, 1945, just east of the Rohr River in Germany. He is buried in the National Military Cemetery in Liege, Belgium. That cemetery is about 75% filled with air crews. Row after row after row.. acres.. all shot down in bombers. It was my visit to the cemetery when the cost of the air war really became clear to me.
He is buried in Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avoid, France. Lorraine covers 113.5 acres and has the largest number of our military dead of WWII in Europe, 10,481 graves. Was shot down and died on March 22, 1944.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCinATL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT