ADVERTISEMENT

Best Athlete Ever at UGA?

southpaw dawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Sandy Springs
In listening to the pre-game show last Saturday, I learned from Loran that Norman King had passed away. Among those of us who knew Norman in school, he is a legend. Fran Tarkenton said Saturday that Norman was the best athlete he ever saw, either in college or in the pros. I was witness to only a couple of Norman's feats. I saw him walk up three flights of Payne Hall standing on his hands. In high school he was a three sport star. In the Atlanta City Championship Game he struck out with a couple of men on base and his coach got on to him. in the bottom of the last inning Norman his a home run that would have won the game. He rounded the bases and when he hit third base he kept running straight ahead and out of the park, not bothering to go home. He shot a finger at the coach as he left the park. They lost the game. I saw him challenge Jackie Burkett and Zeke Smith, auburn all americans to a fight after the game in Phoenix City at the Bamboo Club. They declined. HE got kicked out of Georgia twice and Dean Tate told him that the only way he could get back in school was to show an honorable discharge from the marines. NOrman enlisted and went to Paris Island. At the obstacle course Norman supposedly asked the D.I. what the record for the course was. The D.i. laughed and ridiculed Norman for thinking that he could better the existing record which had stood for years. Norman beat the record, but the D.I. Claimed that he cheated on one of the obstacles. Norman went back to the start and without rest, ran the course again, beating his earlier time. Several UGa players later enrolled in the Marine PLC class and saw Norman's name beside the course as the record holder. He also teamed up with Dave Lloyd and tore up the Pizza Hut at 5 points after every game. Coach Butts just wrote a check every Monday morning and kept them in school for a couple of years. Norman supposedly jumped into a bull ring in Spain and took over the bull fight. Supposedly, the crowd awarded him the ear of the bull after he dispatched it. There are a zillion stories about Norman. Love to hear some from you guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News