ADVERTISEMENT

Best handgun under $500

dawgkc

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
What would you recommend and why?

And I doubt I'll ever use it except at maybe a range.

Reason to get it...while I still can and ya never know.

I own a shotgun but it is still in the box

Honestly my best advice is to go to a gun shop and rent the gun you think you want and several others. Some guns just point better FOR ME or fit my hands better (or worse). Years ago, my Glock 22 was stolen out of my truck. It was in my truck because it was too big to carry unless I was wearing a winter coat. So I decided that I would buy something smaller and easier to conceal so I would actually carry it instead of just in the truck. I figured I would wind up buying the single stack Glock because Glock. I went to the range and told them that I was looking for a compact 9mm, striker fired, and I wanted to try the single stack Glock (can’t remember the model, maybe 43) and the Springfield XDS at the recommendation of a friend who carried the XD Mod2 as a duty gun. I asked the guy behind the counter what else I should shoot along those lines. He immediately said the M&P Shield was one of their most rented guns. That wasn’t even on my radar but I tried it. I shot all 3 and some in multiple calibers (9mm, .40 and .45). To my surprise, I shot the Shield in 9mm noticeably better than the other and I shot the single stack Glock the worst. I tried it again on a different day and in a different order and the Shield came out on top again. There isn’t a thing in the world wrong with those 2 other guns but for some reason I shoot the Shield the best. Your mileage will almost certainly vary. I have since bought a Shield Plus to replace the old Shield 1.0 due to the lousy capacity of the original Shield. I still shoot the old Shield very well. I had an Apex trigger installed along with fiber optic/tritium sights with a green front sight. I have a type of color blindness and can’t acquire a red front sight nearly as fast as the green.

You need to decide what you think your purpose would be for the gun. For instance, if this is to be a nightstand gun then probably something full size will be the best choice. If you think you would like to carry it at times then a compact or subcompact like those I discussed above might be the way to go. The guns that are more easily and comfortably carried will tend to have more snappy recoil than a full size model. Everything is a trade off.

EDIT: The last few that I’ve bought have all been optics ready and I’ll pay more for that if I have to. Red dot sights or RMR type sights are only becoming more and more popular so you may eventually regret it if yours doesn’t have an optics plate. I have a green RMR on my Glock 19MOS and I’m still getting used to it but the difference in speed on follow up shots is pretty extreme. I haven’t put a RMR on the Shield Plus yet for several reasons but I definitely wanted the option.

2nd EDIT: Load up on the magazines that you want once you make your choice. We’ll lose the right to the mags we want before we lose the right to buy the guns.

Last edited:
Honestly my best advice is to go to a gun shop and rent the gun you think you want and several others. Some guns just point better FOR ME or fit my hands better (or worse). Years ago, my Glock 22 was stolen out of my truck. It was in my truck because it was too big to carry unless I was wearing a winter coat. So I decided that I would buy something smaller and easier to conceal so I would actually carry it instead of just in the truck. I figured I would wind up buying the single stack Glock because Glock. I went to the range and told them that I was looking for a compact 9mm, striker fired, and I wanted to try the single stack Glock (can’t remember the model, maybe 43) and the Springfield XDS at the recommendation of a friend who carried the XD Mod2 as a duty gun. I asked the guy behind the counter what else I should shoot along those lines. He immediately said the M&P Shield was one of their most rented guns. That wasn’t even on my radar but I tried it. I shot all 3 and some in multiple calibers (9mm, .40 and .45). To my surprise, I shot the Shield in 9mm noticeably better than the other and I shot the single stack Glock the worst. I tried it again on a different day and in a different order and the Shield came out on top again. There isn’t a thing in the world wrong with those 2 other guns but for some reason I shoot the Shield the best. Your mileage will almost certainly vary. I have since bought a Shield Plus to replace the old Shield 1.0 due to the lousy capacity of the original Shield. I still shoot the old Shield very well. I had an Apex trigger installed along with fiber optic/tritium sights with a green front sight. I have a type of color blindness and can’t acquire a red front sight nearly as fast as the green.

You need to decide what you think your purpose would be for the gun. For instance, if this is to be a nightstand gun then probably something full size will be the best choice. If you think you would like to carry it at times then a compact or subcompact like those I discussed above might be the way to go. The guns that are more easily and comfortably carried will tend to have more snappy recoil than a full size model. Everything is a trade off.

EDIT: The last few that I’ve bought have all been optics ready and I’ll pay more for that if I have to. Red dot sights or RMR type sights are only becoming more and more popular so you may eventually regret it if yours doesn’t have an optics plate. I have a green RMR on my Glock 19MOS and I’m still getting used to it but the difference in speed on follow up shots is pretty extreme. I haven’t put a RMR on the Shield Plus yet for several reasons but I definitely wanted the option.

2nd EDIT: Load up on the magazines that you want once you make your choice. We’ll lose the right to the mags we want before we lose the right to buy the guns.
More like nightstand or apocalyptic style choice .
Also maybe for fun at a fun range

Same here with The Shield.

I have a Glock 43 and have carried Glocks for years but I too shoot The Shield better.

Agree on the Shield. For under $500, I really really like the little 2.0 in .45 with the 3" barrel. This is also my wife's carry choice.

I've got a number of sidearms, but just never been a Glock guy. I do love me some HK VP9 though, and my nightstand buddy is a VP9L OR with a Holosun greendot, tac light, and 20 round extended mag - she's a farging beast, but that's nearly 3x OPs budget.

Last edited:
If you’re sure you’re not going to carry, then a larger gun will likely be more fun to shoot. Maybe try a Glock 19 or 17? Or a S&W M&P?

Those are all a little more than $500 so you could look for police trades or a used gun?

I will go against the grain a little here but I have two Canik 9mm. The TP9SF ELITE is roughly in your price range but the other TTI COMBAT is double that price. I\it is the largest gun Mfg in Turkey but they have made a huge push into the US market. They have a well earned rep for their triggers. Good luck.

Given your budget and intended use, I recommend a Ruger in either 380 ACP or 9mm.

Ruger is a respected brand and I own several. My pocket pistol is the 380 ACP and I have a 9mm by my bed.

Ammo for either is usually easy to find and reasonably priced.

Make sure you have a Concealed Carry Permit...for YOUR protection. Good luck.

I will go against the grain a little here but I have two Canik 9mm. The TP9SF ELITE is roughly in your price range but the other TTI COMBAT is double that price. I\it is the largest gun Mfg in Turkey but they have made a huge push into the US market. They have a well earned rep for their triggers. Good luck.
Coming here to say true same. I also have a Canik 9mm and really like it for the price

If you’re sure you’re not going to carry, then a larger gun will likely be more fun to shoot. Maybe try a Glock 19 or 17? Or a S&W M&P?

Those are all a little more than $500 so you could look for police trades or a used gun?
Yeah, for nightstand only a SIG P220 would be nice - you'd have to go used to hit that price level.

I suppose I’m out of the norm relative to my Dawg brethren. I never cared for the Glock line. The S&W shield series are nice guns, well made, reliable. Walther as well.

I carry a Wilson Combat custom Colt Delta Elite 10 mm, which I also deer hunt with. Also carry an Ed Brown 1911 Special Forces 45 ACP. I prefer big holes I suppose.

@HuntinDawg ‘s advice was solid….

Coming here to say true same. I also have a Canik 9mm and really like it for the price
sticking with these guys on the full size high capacity 9mm is a good idea if you want a bedside handgun or one that you won't be carrying on your person. I have the same Canik and it's great but a gun that is one of the most underrated guns out there that I absolutely love in this price range js the SAR 9, it's also a Turkish gun and it's the most rigorously tested hand gun in thw world it's incredible and feels awesome in your hand. Extremely reliable as well, it would be my top choice. Sig is a good choice but you aren't likely getting one for under 500.

familyfirearms.com is your friend on price and you won't pay tax on it, just have it shipped to your nearest and favorite FFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntinDawg

I own a shotgun but it is still in the

The Sig Sauer P320 9MM is right at that price point. Amazing gun and perfect for the range or home. You can shoot it all day with no issues and can’t beat it for reliability. You can also get different grip modules to ensure it fits your hand. If you might carry you can go to the P320C which is also a really good range gun. I am an Sig guy (obviously) and the 365 is almost the perfect carry 9MM. The problem when you go small is that makes it not a great range gun. Too much kick, too inaccurate due to size. Strong recommendations above but agree with others: Find what you are very interested in and go rent one at a range. It has to fit you.

Watch honest outlaw YouTube channel. That dude knows his 9mms. He's pretty much handled them all

HuntinDawg is correct. I would couple that with paying for an hour or so of training with your testing. A firearms instructor can observe you trying different firearms and make suggestions that may help you decide what fits you best.
You can find some very good firearms under $500 but if you add about $200 to your budgets you will may double your options. That’s up to you.
After that, I would encourage you to consider a defensive pistol training course. Not the guy from the range who explains range safety but a class that lasts all day(at least) and teaches grip, sight picture, draw etc. You will learn more than you can imagine and probably have a great time as well.
Let us know where you live and we should be able to recommend a local trainer.

I like the Caniks as well and own the same one. I agree with the trigger statement, smooth shooter. I own several pieces from all the usual suspects and put the Canik among one of my favorites, for looks and feel.

I’m partial to anything SIG. I carried a P226 MK25 while a Navy SEAL.
I actually own one now, also have a P320 XFull which is another full size.
I also own a P320-XCompact which is nice carry piece. Easily concealed.

Glock 17 or 19 if you’re looking for something to keep in the nightstand. Add night sights and/or a quality light like a Streamlight TLR1.

If you have any intentions of eventually carrying then I’d look at some of the single stack 9mm options like the S&W Shield 9 or Glock 43x. The Sig P365 recommended here is also a quality gun. I prefer to carry the Shield 98% of the time.

Would not recommend getting anything in 380 if your only purpose is a nightstand self defense weapon or range gun. Good pocket pistol…but not something I’d ever want to be in a gunfight with.

I suppose I’m out of the norm relative to my Dawg brethren. I never cared for the Glock line. The S&W shield series are nice guns, well made, reliable. Walther as well.

I carry a Wilson Combat custom Colt Delta Elite 10 mm, which I also deer hunt with. Also carry an Ed Brown 1911 Special Forces 45 ACP. I prefer big holes I suppose.

@HuntinDawg ‘s advice was solid….
I love my 1911s. Smooth…

Good thread to read on the way to the range. I shoot a CZ but there are a ton of great options for $500

Find an indoor range with a big rental fleet and shoot the ones you are considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheColonelUGA
S&W M&P Shield+ 9mm (perfect concealed carry) Get the inside the waistband STEALTHgear holster.

I have Trijicon night sights. No fancy red dot optics for this old guy.

Thank me later

Last edited:

That, my friend, was a damn good response.

I like the Caniks as well and own the same one. I agree with the trigger statement, smooth shooter. I own several pieces from all the usual suspects and put the Canik among one of my favorites, for looks and feel.
Canik triggers are some of the best stock triggers you can get they are awesome.

I’m partial to anything SIG. I carried a P226 MK25 while a Navy SEAL.
I actually own one now, also have a P320 XFull which is another full size.
I also own a P320-XCompact which is nice carry piece. Easily concealed.
Actually why I bought my 226 many years ago. Figured if it was the standard issue for the SEALs…

Reactions: PADawg610
I just received a pistol permit. This is good to have when carrying out of state in states that have a reciprocal agreement with Georgia. I believe there are 32 states with reciprocal agreements. Also, when buying a gun there is not supposed to be a background check and waiting period if you have a permit. I have a few handguns, a .32 revolver and a .357 S&W revolver. I am not wild about carrying either one. I am planning to buy a Taurus G2C 9mm with a 12 round mag. I only want it to fit in my glove box or under the seat. It also has a good safety system on it. It is supposed to be in the $250-$300 range. You may want to check out a Taurus.

This all day long.^^^^

I wanted a Glock but I can't shoot them and they feel uncomfortable in my hand. Go to the range and rent some quality pistols (Five hundred gets you into good quality pistols) and choose the one that fits and you can shoot best. For example, I made the mistake of buying my wife a Ruger 9mm yrs ago. I put about 100 rounds through it and never had a jam and could shoot it as well as any of my other pistols. My wife has a Walther PPK and can tear the center out of a target with the little pistol. She can shoot my 1911, SA 40 and S&W .357 revolver as well me but she couldn't hit the center of a target to save her life with the Ruger and it would jam at some point before she could empty a magazine. Test drive before you buy and ask for advise from range personnel to match the gun with what you want.

Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna. Get a Glock police trade in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT