ADVERTISEMENT

Best handgun under $500

What would you recommend and why?

And I doubt I'll ever use it except at maybe a range.

Reason to get it...while I still can and ya never know.

I own a shotgun but it is still in the box
Save your money and buy one over $500!

Reactions: agentorange70
Honestly my best advice is to go to a gun shop and rent the gun you think you want and several others. Some guns just point better FOR ME or fit my hands better (or worse). Years ago, my Glock 22 was stolen out of my truck. It was in my truck because it was too big to carry unless I was wearing a winter coat. So I decided that I would buy something smaller and easier to conceal so I would actually carry it instead of just in the truck. I figured I would wind up buying the single stack Glock because Glock. I went to the range and told them that I was looking for a compact 9mm, striker fired, and I wanted to try the single stack Glock (can’t remember the model, maybe 43) and the Springfield XDS at the recommendation of a friend who carried the XD Mod2 as a duty gun. I asked the guy behind the counter what else I should shoot along those lines. He immediately said the M&P Shield was one of their most rented guns. That wasn’t even on my radar but I tried it. I shot all 3 and some in multiple calibers (9mm, .40 and .45). To my surprise, I shot the Shield in 9mm noticeably better than the other and I shot the single stack Glock the worst. I tried it again on a different day and in a different order and the Shield came out on top again. There isn’t a thing in the world wrong with those 2 other guns but for some reason I shoot the Shield the best. Your mileage will almost certainly vary. I have since bought a Shield Plus to replace the old Shield 1.0 due to the lousy capacity of the original Shield. I still shoot the old Shield very well. I had an Apex trigger installed along with fiber optic/tritium sights with a green front sight. I have a type of color blindness and can’t acquire a red front sight nearly as fast as the green.

You need to decide what you think your purpose would be for the gun. For instance, if this is to be a nightstand gun then probably something full size will be the best choice. If you think you would like to carry it at times then a compact or subcompact like those I discussed above might be the way to go. The guns that are more easily and comfortably carried will tend to have more snappy recoil than a full size model. Everything is a trade off.

EDIT: The last few that I’ve bought have all been optics ready and I’ll pay more for that if I have to. Red dot sights or RMR type sights are only becoming more and more popular so you may eventually regret it if yours doesn’t have an optics plate. I have a green RMR on my Glock 19MOS and I’m still getting used to it but the difference in speed on follow up shots is pretty extreme. I haven’t put a RMR on the Shield Plus yet for several reasons but I definitely wanted the option.

2nd EDIT: Load up on the magazines that you want once you make your choice. We’ll lose the right to the mags we want before we lose the right to buy the guns.
I tried a few others for carrying concealed but made the 9mm Shield my choice about eight years ago.

I absolutely love my Sig P365 Macro. Threw a red dot on it and it’s pretty good for range trips and conceal carry. I also considered the Glock 19 but wanted something I could put a manual safety on.

Reactions: Dawglitter
probably an unpopular opinion. If it’s gonna be a night stand gun consider a revolver. Spend some money and put a laser on it. I have a number of nines all sigsauer and I like them a lot. The simplicity of a revolver is an amazing asset if it ever comes down
to a critical moment and there’s no need to interpret whether there’s one in the pipe or not. I have a Taurus ultralight 85J frame and it’s light and performs really well. Learning curve on those is simple. Having been car jacked at gunpoint long ago and then recently accosted in a parking lot, where I was able to show mine first and run him off the ability to point and shoot for an admitted non-enthusiast might be something to consider. There’s a lot of good advice on here but what I’m saying is old-school simple and one less element to negotiate. I think statistic show most gunfire exchanges between victim criminal or under four shots fired total which makes sense because somebody’s either dead or running. You won’t have as much fun at the range with it but it seems like that’s not your first goal. Keep it simple for you man. I know there are a lot of experienced good marksman on here
Which may not agree . My Taurus ultralight is titanium so it’s easily seen if polled which also could strongly dissuade a bad guy.

Palmetto State Armory sells a Dagger which is almost identical to a Glock, but half the price. I bought one last year for $299 and I love it. I can hardly tell the difference between it and my Glock 17. I’m a big Glock guy.

Reactions: blackout2435
You don't need a semi auto for a handgun if you are not going to be a regular shooter. You need a revolver. My wife has a 38 Smith and Wesson, Air Weight, hammerless. its light, no hammer to get caught in pocket or purse and you don't have to cock it or slide to load; you can pick it up and pull the trigger. You can buy 38 target load for the range (not much kick) and a heavy load for home. I had my wife take a safety shooting class. People showed up with all sizes of semis. Most didn't have a clue. The Ex Military instructor picked out my wife's gun and recommended it as something simple.

100% go to the range and rent various models. Find the one that fits your hand and you shoot well.

I understand having a budget, but maybe up it a little or be willing to expand a little. This is an area where going cheap could be a matter of life and death. Quality does matter. I’m not saying drop $2k on a custom 1911.

Train changing mags to where it’s muscle memory. Learn how to fix malfunctions on the fly

Reactions: dawgkc
Given your budget and intended use, I recommend a Ruger in either 380 ACP or 9mm.

Ruger is a respected brand and I own several. My pocket pistol is the 380 ACP and I have a 9mm by my bed.

Ammo for either is usually easy to find and reasonably priced.

Make sure you have a Concealed Carry Permit...for YOUR protection. Good luck.
I too like Ruger. Have a 380 ACP and a 9 mm. Love them. My wife has the LCR in .38 Special. Easy to use.

Reactions: halfmoonriverdawg
What would you recommend and why?

And I doubt I'll ever use it except at maybe a range.

Reason to get it...while I still can and ya never know.

I own a shotgun but it is still in the box
I cc the SA Hellcat and love it. Shoots really well and is very comfortable to carry. I think it was just under $500 when I bought it a few years ago.

But I'd also echo the others that say you should try several and find one that is comfortable in your hand.

I suppose I’m out of the norm relative to my Dawg brethren. I never cared for the Glock line. The S&W shield series are nice guns, well made, reliable. Walther as well.

I carry a Wilson Combat custom Colt Delta Elite 10 mm, which I also deer hunt with. Also carry an Ed Brown 1911 Special Forces 45 ACP. I prefer big holes I suppose.

@HuntinDawg ‘s advice was solid….
Two very fine pieces

probably an unpopular opinion. If it’s gonna be a night stand gun consider a revolver. Spend some money and put a laser on it. I have a number of nines all sigsauer and I like them a lot. The simplicity of a revolver is an amazing asset if it ever comes down
to a critical moment and there’s no need to interpret whether there’s one in the pipe or not. I have a Taurus ultralight 85J frame and it’s light and performs really well. Learning curve on those is simple. Having been car jacked at gunpoint long ago and then recently accosted in a parking lot, where I was able to show mine first and run him off the ability to point and shoot for an admitted non-enthusiast might be something to consider. There’s a lot of good advice on here but what I’m saying is old-school simple and one less element to negotiate. I think statistic show most gunfire exchanges between victim criminal or under four shots fired total which makes sense because somebody’s either dead or running. You won’t have as much fun at the range with it but it seems like that’s not your first goal. Keep it simple for you man. I know there are a lot of experienced good marksman on here
Which may not agree . My Taurus ultralight is titanium so it’s easily seen if polled which also could strongly dissuade a bad guy.
I love revolvers and they are great in many situations. What should be considered is that revolvers are not easy to fire accurately without training and practice, especially snub noses.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg
I’m partial to anything SIG. I carried a P226 MK25 while a Navy SEAL.
I actually own one now, also have a P320 XFull which is another full size.
I also own a P320-XCompact which is nice carry piece. Easily concealed.
👍👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
RLTW

Reactions: PADawg610 and stray
Given your budget and intended use, I recommend a Ruger in either 380 ACP or 9mm.

Ruger is a respected brand and I own several. My pocket pistol is the 380 ACP and I have a 9mm by my bed.

Ammo for either is usually easy to find and reasonably priced.

Make sure you have a Concealed Carry Permit...for YOUR protection. Good luck.
Not by design, but it just shook out this way. Handguns and long guns, I own more Rugers than any other brand. They have some great weapons.

Taurus (Brazilian company) makes several .44 magnum revolvers that can be had for around $500.

1200x0.jpg

All you ever need, one handed operation, guaranteed to stop all.

Reactions: elderdawg
A classic revolver (of various models) is most reliable with minimal upkeep,... Sig and Glock produce some of the highest pistol magazine rounds for the gun range for the sake of saving time reloading

Reactions: elderdawg
to a critical moment and there’s no need to interpret whether there’s one in the pipe or not.
Agree. I am old school. I bought a 357 revolver 45 years ago and, up to 2022, was the only handgun I have owned. In '22 I bought two 9mm I didn't think I needed but bought anyway as investments, and "prep" in case we enter a "zombie apocalypse:eek: ".

If I thought I was going to be involved in gun fights often I would probably be a 9mm guy. But for home protection I like my 357 in the nightstand, with my 12 gauge behind the bedroom door.

Reactions: BonJax
S&W M&P Shield and/or Springfield XDS in either 9mm or .45 acp. I’m a .45 guy, but that’s just me.

I have a Kimber Micro 9 that is smaller and lighter than either but will run more than $500.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT