ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg BLT’s

seatonsdawgs

Tie Your Shoes
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2008
Down by the docks of the city…
Just devoured 2 huge blts... it got me thinking... what’s your go-to’s when putting one of these bad boys together... type of bread, mayo, bacon, iceberg vs romaine, what mater you grow, etc?... tonight mine was better boy tomato, hormel thick cut bacon, iceberg lettuce, Dukes mayo both sides, and soft white butter bread slightly toasted... not sure how anyone could do anything different to make it better... what a summer treat... go dawgs!

Just devoured 2 huge blts... it got me thinking... what’s your go-to’s when putting one of these bad boys together... type of bread, mayo, bacon, iceberg vs romaine, what mater you grow, etc?... tonight mine was better boy tomato, hormel thick cut bacon, iceberg lettuce, Dukes mayo both sides, and soft white butter bread slightly toasted... not sure how anyone could do anything different to make it better... what a summer treat... go dawgs!
Bout to put some together myself. Local tomatoes from St Helena Island, Dukes, basic bacon and white bread is all we have. But it will do!

Few things better than a good BLT. Dukes only. Slather that shit on both sides so thick it comes out of the corners of your mouth when you take a bite.
giphy.gif

Bacon and ripe tomato from a roadside veggie stand, (store maters aren't good enough), mayo, heavy pepper and little salt on the mater, toasted bread. Lettuce is not needed on this masterpiece

Bacon and ripe tomato from a roadside veggie stand, (store maters aren't good enough), mayo, heavy pepper and little salt on the mater, toasted bread. Lettuce is not needed on this masterpiece
Started adding avocado thin sliced last summer with thick cut bacon plastered heavy to both sides of the bread with dukes to hold in place. If you want to get loco...add palmetto cheese as the base instead of mayo.

Reactions: Desperado00
Started adding avocado thin sliced last summer with thick cut bacon plastered heavy to both sides of the bread with dukes to hold in place. If you want to get loco...add palmetto cheese as the base instead of mayo.
Meh, that’s a Canadian BLT and as they say up there, “No Bueno”.

If you’re serious, toasted white bread, backyard tomatoes, lettuce, Duke’s mayo, bacon, salt and pepper. I don’t care for the thick cut on BLTs as it’s a chore to eat through and throws off the consistency of the thing.

I like that fat-free mayo with the olive oil in it. Pair that with those organic tomatoes that taste kinda like soy beans along with some turkey bacon and you’ve got yourself a meal.

Reactions: Dawg 4:13
Rye sourdough bread, and I'll get extra bacon, put a piece of cold cheddar on there, and take the tomato off to eat it separately. I don't like a wet sammich.

Reactions: seatonsdawgs
I'm with you but a little lettuce is good. I prefer Butter Lettuce on a BLT. Italian bread toasted. Dukes or Kraft -- no Sweet stuff. And a great South Georgia bright red tomato (which I can't get anymore). I settle for vine ripe at the store, but it's not as good. Thick bacon is better as long as it's cooked and crispy.

If your bacon isn’t Wright’s, Bentons or from a butcher shop and your mayo isn’t Dukes, we probably wouldn’t be friends in real life.
Dude! On my way up to visit my now wife in Knoxville I drove through Madisonville for the sole purpose of getting some of Bentons bacon and saying I've been to his headquarters. Alan was there and I was like a kid I was so excited. He was about to leave and I asked for a picture, he ended up giving me a tour of the entire place and had an employee come with to take pictures with my phone. My wife was in medical school and it turns out his son is a doctor up in Bristol. We chatted about medical policy, etc and he told me to tell my wife best of luck with everything. Ended up even buying shirts that we both still wear, lol.

Recommend his awesome bacon and also meeting the man.

zYqYQsb_d.jpg

(blue plate, ftw btw)

Last edited:
Never understood the point of a BLT. I mean you're eating nothing but toppings. Bacon, lettuce, tomato...uh, that's what I put on a friggin' burger.
Bacon needs no toppings (although it's great with many). And although I'll eat bacon on a burger, I don't prefer it that way. Burgers are great without bacon, and bacon is great without beef. Let them stand on their own as the star attractions.

Most items have been covered thus far, but I would add white mountain bread from Publix. Toasted of course. The larger size lends itself to extra bacon stacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Tale of Two Dawgs

Just did the same last night. Your recipe (toasted white bread, iceberg, thickly sliced homegrown heirloom maters, mayo - black pepper is a must) sounds flawless

Here is the proper way to make a true BLT.........

Cut bacon to were it hangs over the bread a little on both sides

Take 8 bacon slices and make a basket weave square ....look up how to weave bacon for a fatty.

Cook bacon square to desired doneness in a 350 degree oven on a cooling rack....After shrinkage you should have an 8 piece bacon square that is the exact size of your light bread.

Cover both sides of lightly toasted bread with Dukes Mayo.....Plain white sammich bread

Salt and pepper red ripe peeled tomato slices....Backyard Better Boys

Assemble sammich as follows.....Bottom slice bread, One leaf lettuce....Just one. At least two slices of red ripe tomato, Your basket weave bacon square...Fresh Vidalia onion if making a BLOT....Then Top slice of bread

The bacon square ensures that every bite has lots of bacon

Just devoured 2 huge blts... it got me thinking... what’s your go-to’s when putting one of these

Toasted white bread, wait till slightly cool to keep the toast crispy before adding Dukes mayo. Add crisp bacon, salt & pepper, iceburg lettuce and then slices of an Heirloom tomato.

add a fried egg

Just my 2 cents but everything goes great with bacon. for my perfect BLT, vine ripe tomatoes from your own backyard. Thick sliced hickory smoked bacon from a butcher shop. Add fresh ground pepper to the bacon and grill it. When the bacon is almost done, lightly brush with maple syrup.

Used grilled or toasted sourdough bread, 3 slices for each sandwich. Spread Duke's mayo on each slice of toasted sourdough, add grilled bacon at least 4 slices, arugula lettuce, grilled vidalia onion, the sliced vine ripe tomatoes and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, add the next slice of grilled sourdough and repeat. Don't forget fresh ground pepper and salt. Enjoy and Go Dawgs!

I sneak in a little yellow mustard on that bad boy with a dash of Tabasco.

Seems I’m the only one who thinks mayo ruins any sandwich.....crispy bacon, lettuce, HG tomato with a little salt and liberally peppered, some kinda white bread (sourdough is fine)......perfect sandwich

My BLT has mustard or horseradish sauce; no mayo for me. I don't toast the bread if it is nice and fresh. I don't eat Hormel bacon either.

I like that fat-free mayo with the olive oil in it. Pair that with those organic tomatoes that taste kinda like soy beans along with some turkey bacon and you’ve got yourself a meal.
Good God, man! The only acceptable substitute to Duke’s mayo is when there’s no Duke’s available and you can settle for Blue Plate. Mayo by definition and recipe is a fat based condiment, to make it fat free makes it not mayo at all. TURKEY BACON!!!??? That’s a myth and a lie accepted only by cowards and sissy men. Good day!

For me, the perfect BLT with a bonus for variety:
  1. Thick sourdough, lightly toasted
  2. ONLY Hellman's real mayo
  3. thick cut maple cured bacon
  4. spinach or garden-picked young kale leaves instead of lettuce
  5. Thick slice of backyard, vine-ripe tomato: either Big Beef, Porterhouse/Big Zac or Dr. Wyche, Shake of pepper and garlic salt.
Bonus: add a slice of roasted, vine-ripe Giant Marconi pepper (thank me later).

Reactions: studawg170 II
Good God, man! The only acceptable substitute to Duke’s mayo is when there’s no Duke’s available and you can settle for Blue Plate. Mayo by definition and recipe is a fat based condiment, to make it fat free makes it not mayo at all. TURKEY BACON!!!??? That’s a myth and a lie accepted only by cowards and sissy men. Good day!
You obviously haven’t tried that Jennie-O turkey bacon. Mmmmm. And it’s heart healthy to boot!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT