ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Braves Offseason 3B move

fprex

Pocket Dogs - I always got a hot dog in my pocket
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2006
Recruiting is in a lull for the next 10 days so let's talk a little Braves offseason.

Josh Donaldson appears to be awaiting a 4-year offer from the Braves. It's said that the Nats and one other club has already offered him a 4 year deal but why won't he pull the trigger? I firmly believe it's because he wants to see if the Braves will match it.

My opinion: hell, no. Yes, I was lauding the signing a year ago and I would criticize a 4-year deal given to JD this year. Too many years...it's just not feasible.

So...whom do you replace Donaldson with? There are too many stories out there suggesting that the Cubs are shopping Kris Bryant.

The Financials on Bryant
2020: $18.5 mil
2021: Arbitration eligible (2nd time)
2022: FA

So for the first two years of the deal ('20 & '21), you are saving $ compared to what you'd give Donaldson. Plus, those two years are Bryant's age 28 & 29 seasons as opposed to Donaldson's age 34 & 35 seasons.

If he continues to produce like he has, what kind of FA contract would he get? Spotrac assesses market value and believes his value is a 6 year/$155.2 mil or $25.8 mil/year. That would keep Bryant in Atlanta for his age 30 through 35 seasons at close to the annual salary Donaldson is going to command now. (obviously, this will be a bargain in several years)

The Cost of Bryant
The key question is what will a Kris Bryant cost the Braves? Baseball Trade Values has a trade simulator that is pretty unique. However, I question the values they put on several players so use if you want - I believe it's the only tool out there in this area.

The Braves would get 2 controllable years before FA with Bryant. That should cost some prospects but not a Lindor-type package.

The MLB top prospects list is around the corner but CBS sports has already put out a Top 50. Sitting at #14 is Kyle Wright. I believe the Braves see Ian Anderson as the top pitching prospect (#29 on this list) so I believe parting with Wright could be doable.

After Wright, I believe a few pieces are necessary but not top notch ones. Maybe Braden Shewmake and a lower-tier prospect would get the deal done.

Additional Perk of Bryant
One thing that adds to the beauty of Bryant is that he can play 3B or LF. Sound familiar? Austin Riley has the same repertoire and this could buy a little more time for Riley to develop and perhaps slot into the opposite position Bryant fills.

Of course, the Braves' OF by that time might be Waters, Pache, Acuńa by that point. Options are never a bad thing, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News