ADVERTISEMENT

Brent's excellent story on Damon Wilson has me revisiting my prediction

A Tale of Two Dawgs

Importer/Exporter of Natties
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
First, let's get the link out of the way (see how easy this is?)--great story by Brent:

Damon Wilson

In the third clip, Damon abuses the tackle. It doesn't lead to an incompletion, as the QB gets the ball out and completes a back shoulder throw. But you can't run a consistent offense that way, as the margin for error was nonexistent (no time for route to develop, pressure in the face, and no separation by the receiver).

While Mizzou had good success running the ball, their passing game was a bit of a mirage, as they hit on a high percentage of plays with a low chance of success like the one above (and even then Cook had a sub-50% completion percentage and 2 picks) . Had they converted a few less of those low percentage plays, the game flow would've changed, and that would've severely impacted their ability to run the ball. While the stat sheet indicates that Mizzou was right there with us in YPP, is that something they or anyone else could replicate consistently when you look at HOW those yards were accumulated. On the passing side, I think the answer is a clear no.

This is not a D that you want to be playing catch up against. We were good on third downs before Wilson's emergence, but it should get even better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News