ADVERTISEMENT

Building a Program vs. Win now

PDiddyDawg

National Champion
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2020
From UGA’s standing when Mike White arrived I am interpreting the approach and recruiting priorities to build from the bottom up to eventually have a team that is program fundamentally and mentally sound. It looks like our approach to recruiting and the portal is:

1 - Best possible player (portal)
2 - true freshmen that fit the program
3 - Portal players with 2-3 years eligibility that fit our needs and program

On 1 - Don’t see any in the portal currently that would make a difference.
On 2 - Truly think this is the realistic 1st priority but we will trynto get talent if available just understand our reality at this stage
On 3 - Looking for players with experience that can be developed

To me this all means that we have another 16-16 year ahead of us but we are building a solid foundation and program.

I saw maybe 2-3 players that came from the portal that had any true impact on any team this year. Dont see any in the portal now that would have true instant impact. I know there is some time still.

We need the next recruiting class to be solid to fantastic (Newell) to really get things moving. It wont be because of the portal. 4 players, shooters, size and makers.

Mike White’s year 3 or 4 should be a true definition of where we are and what true results will be. This is what is realistic. Everything else is just wishful hopes and dreams.

I am hopeful but also have to be realistic. We are who we are until proven otherwise. We have 20 years of mediocrity to overcome. I believe we can get there, it will take a few more years, and be serviced by the portal but not built buy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News