ADVERTISEMENT

Bulldog Tennis in Newport

dawgpowder

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2005
I had the pleasure of spending the day in Newport, Rhode Island to watch three Dawgs play tennis - Ethan Quinn, Alex Michelson, and John Isner. Quinn, NCAA tennis champion, lost a very competitive match to Tommy Paul who was the number one seed. Isner was in typical form for him at Newport and moved to the third round With a straight set victory. Alex Michelson, the #1 recruit in the country committed to UGA, won his second straight three set match. It should noted that Alex upset last year’s winner Maxine Cressy (sp) in the opening round.

While I was there I had the chance to meet Ethan Quinn. He is a very nice and classy young man. He spoke highly of Georgia and its fans. He commented about the “insane” environment in the championships against Harvard and how the fans pulled the team through. I told Ethan I was sorry that he was leaving as I was excited to see Alex and him play next year.

Now the potential bad news. The is a good chance Alex Michelson may never wear the red and black. Ethan said that he has little to prove and expects Alex to turn pro instead of attending UGA. I think Alex would love the tennis environment in Athens, but being a pro may be too great to pass up. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

GO DAWGS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News