ADVERTISEMENT

By my count, we will have needed 31 scholarship departures (not counting #47) to make the numbers work. Not a concern. BTW, UGA is the ONLY team...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
to sign a class of 25+ and have no room for transfers coming in at this point. So when Kirby says he would rather fill a roster with HS kids over transfers, he's not lying... even if it means we sign a lot of projects (and we arguably have more of them in this class than any other Kirby class). We may take in some portal guys, but it means in order to take in 7 (which most teams will, zero problem) we will have had to have 39 scholarship players/major contributors leave. I don't think Kirby is as comfortable with that level of discontinuity as everyone else is.

I mean schools are undersigning big time across the country, including teams in the SEC (which is historically very uncharacteristic) to have transfers supplement a large portion of their roster. But not Kirby.

Incidentally, unless the rules change, the shelf life on being able to do this, is pretty limited. If teams continue to dip into the portal instead of HS, the pool in which they will be able to dip into will greatly be reduced. The numbers of kids that are getting opportunities out of HS pales in comparison to what it was two years ago. And this isn't because of super seniors. This isn't sustainable. The NCAA needs to fix their ****up. The initial counters need to be at 25 for HS kids, and a team needs to be able to match each transfer that leaves via the portal. The portal isn't going anywhere it appears, but apparently teams aren't going to give HS opportunities until they have to (when the pool dries up). The NCAA has continued to screw this up with their solutions. They need to change the rules again to prevent some pretty weird cycles.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News