ADVERTISEMENT

Can we give some credit/appreciation to CMW

Charley Trippy

National Champion
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2020
I really feel like CMW is much more comfortable with this squad than the one he had last year and it is showing. They are “his guys”, they are a talented group, and they seem to all buy in to their roles and the program. The construction of the roster actually has some pattern and it is clear thought went into every player and their role on the team. Crean just offered every guy he could and hoped he could play “positionless basketball” with whoever decided to give him a chance. White has really nailed a lot of evaluations, both in the portal and at the high school level since being here.

The decision to switch to Frank AND stick with him was huge. He provided just enough rim protection, defensive mobility, and rebounding to get us to the final buzzer (not to mention that beautiful, clutch hook shot). Deloach and Tchewa were not providing all three of those things last night, and we really needed all three. Trusting Justin Hill in the clutch, despite him having a pretty inefficient scoring night, once again paid off. Subbing RJM in on the final possession and trusting him as a 87% FT shooter, even though he had been on the bench for most of the second half, paid off. We also ran some really good sets in our half court offense in the first half, but just couldn’t convert open looks. These guys play with a confident, never rattled demeanor that I have not often seen from a UGA team.

His baseline out of bounds plays have been overall really great as well. We are consistently getting open looks out of our baseline out of bounds plays. You guys remember how it was under the previous regime? Forget about scoring, I just held my breath and hoped we inbounded the ball without turning it over in those situations.

Speaking of turnovers, MW has significantly upgraded our guard/wing play. I haven’t gone back and looked at all the numbers, but it seemed like we were worst or near worst in the league at taking care of the ball every year the past 4-5 seasons. It’s so refreshing watching a team that can take care of the ball, and not constantly worrying when the next turnover will come. We have three guards (Silas, Hill, and Noah) who handle the ball a ton, and they combine to only commit 3.6 turnovers per game. Our past couple starting PG’s were about doing that by themselves.

And off the court, he has done a tremendous job as well. He has a very good staff. He pulled together a great recruiting class last year, and already has a signature for a top recruit in the current class and a pledge for the class after that. We have been able to drastically increase NIL funding under CMW. That will continue to manifest itself in pulling good portal players and keeping players on the team out of the portal. Getting the university to switch the student section has created a legitimate home court advantage and sparked more student interest in the games then we’ve had in a very long time.

I’m not saying he’s perfect and people can’t critique him. Everyone is welcome to their opinions. However, it seems like every time a team goes on a run in a game against us, some poster hops in the game thread and finds a way to blame it on his “dumb substitution”, or “why the hell is this guy playing”, or the terrible offense he runs, or whatever else. When you put it in perspective, the guy is doing a phenomenal job. So much better than the past 3 coaches. Like SO MUCH better. I am so excited for the rest of this season and for the future of UGA basketball, and I don’t think I would be if Mike White wasn’t our coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News