ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Car Accident Advice

When I was a claim rep for one of the top 3 auto insurance companies, 95% lawyer couldn’t do shit to help with property damage. So DO NOT hire an attorney unless you’re injured from the accident. The company may try to lowball you some at first, but stand your ground and you’ll get the same payout as someone who stood their ground at the behest of their attorney. There’s a reason most attorneys don’t touch their client’s PD claim at all. Pointless.

Someone driving an AutoZone delivery truck pulled out in front of me and I wrecked my brand new truck. When I say brand new I mean I had it for 2 weeks at it had around 700 miles on it. My question is, what can I do to make sure I don't get screwed by the insurance agency? The other driver was at fault and I haven't talked to their insurance people yet.
Im an insurance adjuster. Was anyone injured?

When I was a claim rep for one of the top 3 auto insurance companies, 95% lawyer couldn’t do shit to help with property damage. So DO NOT hire an attorney unless you’re injured from the accident. The company may try to lowball you some at first, but stand your ground and you’ll get the same payout as someone who stood their ground at the behest of their attorney. There’s a reason most attorneys don’t touch their client’s PD claim at all. Pointless.
Agreed. An attorney NEVER impacted my settlement amounts when it came to PD, they just got in the f’n way.

My lower back has tightened up and is sore. I’m going to a Dr. after work today just to get checked out.
Probably a stupid thing to say but you’d be surprised - hang onto any and every bill you may have related to the injuries. Make sure the other guys insurance company is aware you’re seeking possible treatment too so they can get a BI adjuster on it.

My lower back has tightened up and is sore. I’m going to a Dr. after work today just to get checked out.
Glad it wasn't worse. My advice, keep ALL YOUR receipts for any out of pocket expenses related to the accident. Gas, time off work, transportation expenses, etc. If you're not seriously injured do not get an attorney as they'll drag the process out and take 30%.

Follow doctors instructions in regards to treatment and follow up plans. When you speak to at fault parties insurance advise them of your injury and that you've sought medical treatment so they can open an injury claim. Send all your receipts to them once you've completed treatment.

Probably a stupid thing to say but you’d be surprised - hang onto any and every bill you may have related to the injuries. Make sure the other guys insurance company is aware you’re seeking possible treatment too so they can get a BI adjuster on it.
Hope you feel better soon. If you didn’t seek a whole lot of treatment and aren’t looking for much Don’t hire an attorney. Wouldn’t be worth the time or cost. As a BI adjuster I had authority up to 2500 and sometimes more if it was warranted. But you’ve had to seek a bunch of treatment or think you might may be worth hiring one.

Last edited:
Hard to find a lawyer to take pd only claims. There isn’t enough money in it. I normally agree with you on all this type stuff, but here we don’t see eye to eye. If he is hurt, which he says he may be, you are 100 percent absolutely correct. Call an attorney. There is a good chance he will be just fine on a pd claim. Maybe it is just where I am, but I haven’t seen a 50 dollar diminished value check in 15 years. Yes, there is almost always an immediate check sent for minor damage within the formula for dv. (Whether it is more than minor or not)The value of cars now keeps that initial check much higher. The formula is out there too. It is getting harder to put that one over on people. He doesn’t even know his car is totaled. He will not need a lawyer to help him with the car if it isn’t totaled. I used to send some clients for referals with attorney on pd claims. Never had one take a case yet. Other than write a letter for 100 bucks. It is a brand new truck, so the value of an attorney may be there. The percentage may be worthwhile. But if you total your 10000 Camry and you aren’t hurt, don’t call an attorney to help get the value for it is all I am saying.

My pro bono DV practice continues to grow.

giphy.gif

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
Hard to find a lawyer to take pd only claims. There isn’t enough money in it. I normally agree with you on all this type stuff, but here we don’t see eye to eye. If he is hurt, which he says he may be, you are 100 percent absolutely correct. Call an attorney. There is a good chance he will be just fine on a pd claim. Maybe it is just where I am, but I haven’t seen a 50 dollar diminished value check in 15 years. Yes, there is almost always an immediate check sent for minor damage within the formula for dv. (Whether it is more than minor or not)The value of cars now keeps that initial check much higher. The formula is out there too. It is getting harder to put that one over on people. He doesn’t even know his car is totaled. He will not need a lawyer to help him with the car if it isn’t totaled. I used to send some clients for referals with attorney on pd claims. Never had one take a case yet. Other than write a letter for 100 bucks. It is a brand new truck, so the value of an attorney may be there. The percentage may be worthwhile. But if you total your 10000 Camry and you aren’t hurt, don’t call an attorney to help get the value for it is all I am saying.

That's what I'm thinking too. There is a huge negotiable element with injury claims. Not so much so with PD claims. Heck, most injury attorneys aren't even going to get involved the PD claim at all.

My guess is that if the OP is hurt and hires an attorney, his attorney is only going to focus on the BI claim. I think it's pretty rare, almost non-existent have an attorney for only the PD claim

Reactions: zingerdawg
Someone driving an AutoZone delivery truck pulled out in front of me and I wrecked my brand new truck. When I say brand new I mean I had it for 2 weeks at it had around 700 miles on it. My question is, what can I do to make sure I don't get screwed by the insurance agency? The other driver was at fault and I haven't talked to their insurance people yet.
your goal is to get the truck totalled out, the value of your truck is much lower than it would be without the wreck and if u are financing you are likely waaaay upside down now and just fixing the truck wont make up for your financial loss. Get a lawyer because he will battle the insurance company. A good lawyer will get it done plus some money for trouble. DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN or you will get screwed.

Reactions: scottmac1972
To echo what has been said, get your own attorney to look out for you. Don’t trust any insurance company and don’t do it yourself—and I say this as an insurance defense attorney.

Axle broken? Its totaled if so. Front ends are expensive as well in general. If you are not hurt dont call a lawyer. Your insurance company if good can guide you and if the other company balks file under yours. Dont make it too complicated, get it replaced and move on.

I'd contact your dealership and ask what body shop they use if they don't have one on site.

Do you have gap insurance? If you do, there is no worries. If the company the other person is insured with low balls you iyo, check prices of that exact car(match features)for sale within a 60 mile radius. Put together a list of the ones selling for more than they are offering. There a lot more questions to ask here. But this is the simplest method to fight back. Just hope autozone isn’t self insured. That can be a nightmare. Don’t threaten to call an attorney. It doesn’t mean you can’t call one. But autozone will cut off the conversation if you threaten this. It is good to have proper advice, but going to court takes time and doesn’t help you get a replacement vehicle any faster. If you are hurt, different story. Call @NWGA_DAWG
GAP only comes into play of the vehicle is a total.

Courts are backed up 2-3 years, the AutoZone rep knows that and will use it.

@Darth Dawg
how bad is your neck and back? I’m sure you must be having terrible headaches. You could have long term injuries while also suffering loss of consortium.

This is precisely why I pay my $99 ... I knew this thread would deliver. Although I agree with @donalsonville_dawg - tremendous amount of misinformation ITT - he called it early. Good luck OP on figuring out the correct advice to follow - so I’ll abstain from chiming in to only confuse you further.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
Axle broken? Its totaled if so. Front ends are expensive as well in general. If you are not hurt dont call a lawyer. Your insurance company if good can guide you and if the other company balks file under yours. Dont make it too complicated, get it replaced and move on.
A broken axle won’t nearly total a new truck. Even if he bought a Ford Ranger, that’s a 30 thousand dollar truck. They aren’t totaling anything unless that estimate starts around 60% of the value.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
A broken axle won’t nearly total a new truck. Even if he bought a Ford Ranger, that’s a 30 thousand dollar truck. They aren’t totaling anything unless that estimate starts around 60% of the value.
Been doing this a while. You are right, but I would suggest he do his best to get it totaled. It will never been the same if it is damaged too much.

I’m about to say something that is very key to your success with dealing with the other people insurance companies. That is

You have the right to remain silent.... you can’t introduce your own statement. When they call I wouldn’t say a word . With being like someone like autozone make the sweat it , they you are not feeling well to talk now . That phase there will tac on a few hundred.

Except he won't get a proper settlement on his car value. He's gotta repair the car and get diminished value. The insurance company is going to give him $50 for the DV (which is absurd for a brand new car which, by being crashed, probably has lost THOUSANDS in value)

Statistically he will get more with an attorney than he will by himself (enough to cover the fee). I'm not guessing on this; I know this stuff.
I don't know Jack crap about how insurance companies do their thing but do NOT be afraid to fight for what you think is fair. STICK to your guns no matter what! I had to go through a DV argument with an insurance company who said they didn't have to pay ANY DV to me. Insurance companies bank on you being ignorant. Same thing with me, other person's fault. Adjuster tried to pull the wool over my eyes. I told him I did not agree with him and I would not accept their settlement. So, I filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner. Had a nice chat with them. You have to do that stuff online. I had scanned documents, uploaded them through the online forms; was very detailed. Complained and put in writing the adjustor's name. What do you know, the adjustor (the same one who said they would not pay anything), gives me a call and says I will be sent a nice $900 check. My car was 3 years old. ))

Better Call Saul, you got enough good advice from your fellow DAWGS! I am a retired atty and they covered the waterfront! 65

1) If you bought and have Gap insurance you will be fine.
2) If you leased and have Gap insurance through your insurer or the lessor you will be fine.

So I hope you have Gap insurance. Otherwise, you might have to pursue a legal claim against AutoZone to cover the gap.

The issue, even with GAP, could still be losing equity in the wrecked one.

I will tell you this - if you are in a wreck and it is the other person's fault, always GO TO THE DOCTOR! You are hurt, and you will be checked-out! This is the best leverage you have - trust me, from first hand experience twice in the past three years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT