ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Child Molestor expected to be drafted by MLB

I have had the misfortune of sitting through one of those forensic interviews of a child molestation victim. NEVER again.

This was 20 years ago and I can still see the pain on that childs face......

The SI article is fantastic, yet the details (as with most molestation cases) is extremely disturbing.

That said, this was a he said/she said situation, as most of these are. Per the article, he knew that no matter what, the girl's testimony was going to sink him, so he pretty much had no choice but to plea.

Now, is he guilty or innocent? I have no idea, and as disgusted as I am about the whole thing, there is some doubt that creeps in here, givent he backstory of the divorce/custody battle.

The thing about the custody battle is that his own brother turned him in. It wasn’t the sister-in-law.

I guess you could argue she thought that might hurt the husbands argument for custody, but man his own brother reporting him is damning.

He was quoting what I said earlier in the thread. And you may be 100% right about it, but as I sit here today, I just cannot fathom agreeing to plead guilty to something that I didn't do. Of course, I've never been accused of something that I didn't do so maybe my opinion would change if put in that position. But let's assume for a second that this kid is innocent, it sure doesn't seem like it turned out real well for him since people are excoriating him at every turn.
Assuming he is innocent, what he is facing now is way better than had he been convicted of this crime. He would still be in prison.

Assuming he is innocent, what he is facing now is way better than had he been convicted of this crime. He would still be in prison.

Yeah, I've been taking the position that IF he was innocent and went to trial, he could / would be proven innocent. None of us know the facts of the case, but the report I read that said he wasn't even at the home (due to early sports practices during the time of the accused violations) would be pretty compelling evidence I would think. But again, I don't know all the facts. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that agreeing to plead guilty when you are innocent is a better path than trying to prove your innocence.

Yeah, I've been taking the position that IF he was innocent and went to trial, he could / would be proven innocent. None of us know the facts of the case, but the report I read that said he wasn't even at the home (due to early sports practices during the time of the accused violations) would be pretty compelling evidence I would think. But again, I don't know all the facts. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that agreeing to plead guilty when you are innocent is a better path than trying to prove your innocence.
Not really man, His word against hers 50% chance you go to the pokey for 10+ vs plead guilty and 5 years probation. seems pretty easy to me.

So your argument's with his sentence or the law or something else? Isn't the debate whether this guy --- or anyone, really --- who has fulfilled their sentence or obligation under our laws to the court deserve to earn a living in their chosen field? He happens to have a 97MPH fastball that's worth millions; suppose he were a truck driver? Or a nuclear scientist? Do all convicted DUI offenders deserve to never drive again or do we reserve that sentence for the most egregious DUI offenders? Life is not black & white; it's infinite shades of gray.

This raises an interesting point but I believe the situations are completely different for those who have a job to do that is not in the public eye compared to playing for a major sports team whose revenue is based on how much people like and support said team. If he is a truck driver, as long as the truck arrives on time and in good condition he has done his job and would be gainfully employed until he failed to do that job since people who he comes in contact would have no knowledge of his past and will not have the opportunity to judge him. Can you imagine the PR nightmare that having this guy on your team could cause? Do you know the protests in the stands by child activist groups? His baggage could greatly outweigh any potential benefits that he could bring to a team. For another example look up Colin Kaepernick. He deserves a second chance as do all people but I don't know that he should be playing for a team whose revenue stream is based on having fans that support him.

I know this was a blast from the past, but I just saw a legal article posted and thought about this conversation. The tag line for the article is:

"According to the Innocence Project in New York City, 40 out of 358 people exonerated with DNA evidence pleaded guilty 
to crimes they did not commit."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT